Recommended Posts

Could there be a strength skill added to the game? It would work like the other skills where you have 5 levels of a particular skill each level giving you a different benefit. This skill will increase slower than all the other skills (for balance) and it increases by simply just walking, sprinting, rope climbing, walking while encumbered, and spriting while encumbered. Spriting increases it a little faster than walking, and walking while encumbered also increases it faster than walking but not sprinting, if you can still sprint while encumbered it will increase the skill faster than just spriting whilst underweight. The last one is rope climbing which will increase it a bit faster than walking.

My point is, the character does a lot of physical activity he/she has to be getting stronger so this skill would make sense.

the following is the benefit each level gives.

1st level gives you no benefits

2nd level gives you faster rope climbing

3rd level gives you the ability to climb down or up ropes while encumbered as long as you still have the ability to sprint

4th level allows you to walk against the wind a little faster or removes the slow down from walking against the wind completely

5th level increases your carrying capacity by 5kg (11lbs)

If this is added you can eventually have 15kg (33lbs)of extra weight capacity if you have the well-fed buff, moose hide satchel and level 5 of this skill.

What do you think of strength skills being added to the game? And what do you think of the benefits I listed are they too OP or do they sound like they could work without removing too much challenge from the game.

Looking foward to hearing others thoughts on this ☺

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all you might wanna post this to the wish list forum.

 

I think that some of these skills sound really op. Especially the 3rd and 5th bonuses. 

 

But I definitely wouldn't mind having some new skills in the game. I think that a strength skill like this could be really useful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah guess this would make more sense in wish list I just was thinking survival mode so I popped them here, is there any way to relocate this to wish list or does a moderator have to do it?

Also The 3rd one I can see being op but I don't see the 5th one being it is the last tier you can get and increases it the same amount the satchel and well fed buff does. The Hinterland can do the balancing if need be or omit some of the more OP benifits (like the 3rd one) and replace it with a less OP one.

Edited by LoneWolf5841
Spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 10kg from the satchel + well fed is already extremely good. More isn't really needed. Well fed at least costs you something as acquiring all the meat isn't trivial

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Serenity said:

The 10kg from the satchel + well fed is already extremely good. More isn't really needed. Well fed at least costs you something as acquiring all the meat isn't trivial

Yeah I can see your point, any suggestions on what could replace the benifit from 5 then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering how the game plays now, I can't really see much need for a strength skill.  The ways to boost carrying capacity in the game already works fine.  This is a neat thought experiment, but in terms of actually having this in the game... I just don't see a need for it.

@Serenity also makes a great point.

Edited by ManicManiac
edited for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to points raised by @Serenity and @ManicManiac, this skill as written breaks from the way other skills are designed, in that it increases passively, rather than through specific action. With enough playtime, everyone would reach lvl 5 Strength eventually, simply from moving around. Every single other skill requires the player to perform some action in order to increase it.

Edited by rakshasa
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rakshasa said:

In addition to points raised by @Serenity and @ManicManiac, this skill as written breaks from the way other skills are designed, in that it increases passively, rather than through specific action. With enough playtime, everyone would reach lvl 5 Strength eventually, simply from moving around. Every single other skill requires the player to perform some action in order to increase it.

That is the reason I said it would increase slower than the other skills maybe 1% increase every 7 in game days with the various multiplyers from what activity did you do the most walk, run etc. Hinterland could probably figure a way to ballence this more than I could i'm not a game developer lol 🤣 so my idea may not work at all and if it doesn't I'm fine with it not being added as the game is already fantastic without it I just got the idea and decided to throw it out there to see what others think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Considering how the game plays now, I can't really see much need for a strength skill.  The ways to boost carrying capacity in the game already works fine.  This is a neat thought experiment, but in terms of actually having this in the game... I just don't see a need for it.

@Serenity also makes a great point.

Yeah with what @Serenity said I can see why the 5th level is a bit much, I don't want this to make the game too easy and I guess 15kg of extra carrying capacity is a bit much lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

said I can see why the 5th level is a bit much

I don't mean just your fifth level skill bonus... I mean the entire idea of a strength skill just doesn't seem like would be a nessisarry addition.  The things already in place to increase carrying capacity work fine, and I don't see much value add in changing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I don't mean just your fifth level skill bonus... I mean the entire idea of a strength skill just doesn't seem like would be a nessisarry addition.  The things already in place to increase carrying capacity work fine, and I don't see much value add in changing it.

Ah ok I see thanks for the explanation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LoneWolf5841
I still appreciate the post though, it's always interesting to be able to look at a game and brainstorm what we might think would be neat additions or tweaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@LoneWolf5841
I still appreciate the post though, it's always interesting to be able to look at a game and brainstorm what we might think would be neat additions or tweaks.

And I appreciate your honest answer about it not being a good addition I love hearing others opinions about what could be added to the game, we are a community and obviously if 90% says no to this we wouldn't want it added not even me. I am not a game developer by no means I don't know what would be a good or bad feature nor do I know how to balance the game either. So it helps to hear others opinions on if it is too op or simply doesn't makes sense. I respect your opinion and can easily see why you think it isn't neccesary to be added, which I do agree to a extent that it is not neeeded the game is fine without it but if it was added would it improve the game somehow? That is why I made this topic to discuss whether or not it would improve the game obviously some will say yes and some will say no. I say maybe, it will depend on how it is balanced I don't want this to make the game too easy, I love the challenge of the game. ☺

Edited by LoneWolf5841
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LoneWolf5841
That's why I like these forums too... ideally we can all discuss our ideas, and our thoughts on each other's ideas.  The really big benefit is that the Hinterland Team gets to see what we are thinking about when we play their game.  I always trust the team do what they think is best for their game... and to that end I always try to accept the game for what it is.  It's always better, I think, to try and live within the framework of the world they provided us.  In that context all the design choices they've made all make sense.  However it's also good for folks here to discuss it along with our ideas because in that way it gets to be a creative outlet as well.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now