Dandelion root coffee

Timmytwothumbs

35 minutes ago, Timmytwothumbs said:

Just found out you can harvest and boil dandelion roots to make a natural coffee in real life. Something like this might be cool to see in the long dark. They are edible too but I think it would be alright if it was just a coffee alternative in the game since coffee is a limited resource. 

It would not really be a substitute for coffee as a stimulant. Dandelion root coffee has no caffeine. No stimulant properties at all. And I have to agree with @ManicManiac, with deep snow cover and frozen ground, Winter is not the time to try to harvest them.  Especially without a good shovel and pick, and random luck, since there would be no leave above the soil line to find them. They have a deep taproot, they are difficult to harvest even in summer, the roots breaking off easily. Part of how the plant survives so well. Leave a small piece of a dandelion root in the ground and a new plant will regenerate from it. 

Though, if Hinterland would make a survival game with 4 seasons, they would be an ideal plant to look for in Spring Summer, and Autumn. All parts of the plant are edible, and quite tasty. We never killed them when we had our farm. We ate the leaves in salads (though I did not like the sappy stems), made dandelion tea (or dandelion coffee, as it were...), cooked the roots and ate them like tiny parsnips or cut and mixed in with green beans, and Grandma taught us how to make wonderful dandelion wine, the old-fashioned way, from the petals of the flowers.

Not really a coffee substitute at all, but a good idea, perhaps, for another game, if Hinterland decides to make another survival-based game with full seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1