piddy3825

Hushed River, why do you like it?

I honestly haven't spent very much time exploring Hushed River since the region was introduced.  All though I've explored it a few times, it's one of those maps where almost every turn looks familiar and surviving there really seems to test my skills.  Fortunately the developers were gracious enough to include a good number of caves and caches that provided a fair amount of food, tools and weapons. 

Besides finding your way to the top of the cliff and discovering the mysterious signal fire and subsequently the moose satchel, what else keeps you in the area?  

HRV has several distinct sub regions. It's not really too difficult to find your way around when you divide into smaller parts and tackle them one by one.

There are tons of natural resources there. You can survive for a long time on the cat tails alone. No caches or man made stuff needed. That's what separates it from TWM, which still has a hut and lots of goodies in the containers

A lot of the time, I don't like it at all.  It depends mostly on the weather I'm getting while there and how many times my plans for getting around get thwarted by sprains.  When things are going well, it's a fun outdoors zone that doesn't involve raiding people's homes to survive.  When things are going badly... it's frequently the zone that ends my run.

• Upvote 1

I love Monolith lake, making camp at Watchful falls cave. It's the open and wild. But it's a long horrible journey there. So when I start feeling a bit safe and comfortable in Mystery Lake, I tool up and set off for a holiday at Monolith lake, until I once again long for the cosy workbench in the camp office.

@Serenity, @UpUpAway95, @Stone,

appreciate your comments!  I got a love hate relationship with that map...  typically the weather just kicks my ass, but yeah, the bounty is plentiful.  I do however so miss not having a crafting bench...  my last play through I launched a new game and randomly spawned in Hushed River, but ironically right by the mouth of the cave entrance that transitions to Mountain Town.  When the irony struck me, I decided to head in and make a go of it.  While battling an ongoing  blizzard and darting from cave to cave and taking a chance on warming up I entered an ice cave.  It was like a supermarket in there...  somehow ended up on the other side, geared up, fed and well rested.  next thing i know i am chopping my way up a precipitous path and finally find that mysterious signal fire.  After that, finding anything else seemed anticlimactic.  Once I started working my way  back down to familiar ground, I just made a bee line for the exit and didnt stop walking til I got back to Milton, lol.

For an Interloper player, Hushed River Valley offers the opportunity for some guaranteed pieces of rare non-craftable gear. For this fact, it's a great location to visit once you've forged basic equipment.

Plus, the level design is just spectacular. It's one of the most recent additions to the game, and the Hinterland team outdid themselves creating the map. The region has a unique flavor found nowhere else in the game, and as others have said, it actually becomes several sub-regions due to the layout. Compared to the far more linear maps such as Desolation Point, this region gives a variety of routes to traverse the terrain, along with dozens of small diversions to take you off the beaten track and reward your wandering.

There's plenty of unique features in this map to surprise even the veteran player, and it's definitely worthwhile spending a few weeks of any game to explore this natural wonderland.

Yeah, I really like the options. You have a choice between quick ropes that will exhaust you. Warm ice caves that may drench you in cold water of contain a wolf. Or a longer walk that will leave you cold. Even TWM is far more linear with the available routes.

And you can live like a king in HRV. That's probably at least 70 cat tails. From the first area alone

HRV.thumb.jpg.fbd293fc521cad4606486fa695abf5a6.jpg

It's one of the colder regions, but blizzards aren't there more blizzards there than elsewhere. With some of the best clothing available you can be warm or only arrow down. If you struggle with the cold you'll have more issues. In that case your best bet is using the ice caves. They cover a huge part of the map

6 minutes ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

I like getting lost in it. Not sure why but I actually enjoy getting lost in games. Maybe because i'm just weird...

I think exploration is among the most exciting things that a human can do... part of the reason our species constantly does it.  :) 

1 hour ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

I like getting lost in it. Not sure why but I actually enjoy getting lost in games. Maybe because i'm just weird...

Yeah,  there's a certain allure to that in a game and this one certainly does bring that to the table.  When ever I enter this map, I feel lost from the moment I get started.