Raphael van Lierop

Mliton Mailbag -- Dispatch #41

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Traligon said:

 As a consumer I also kind of want to know why you don't build a bigger team to get it done faster.  I know there are probably many reasons for this and I was hoping to hear something more along those lines.

Hinterland is hiring, they have been for a while now. https://twitter.com/HinterlandGames/status/1173370976899411971?s=20 

 But they can't force people to apply or accept job offers, and they can only hire as many as they have the money to pay, sustainably. They don't believe in crunch, and they don't expect people to work for free. I respect that. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, Traligon said:

I just want to support MueckE because I thought it was a great question.  It was a misunderstood question on the regards of intent, so here's my two cents.  I have always thought Hinterland has created a great community for the consumers and their development team.  I just recently explained to my friend that I have been waiting for years for the next episode, but I am okay with it because of how Raph treats his team and communicates with the players.  As a consumer I also kind of want to know why you don't build a bigger team to get it done faster.  I know there are probably many reasons for this and I was hoping to hear something more along those lines.

Feel free to ask in a future Mailbag and if I think I can offer a useful response, I will. In general though, it relates to what I said in my answer to @MueckE. The short follow-up would be there are many examples of studios that grew too quickly to support the needs of a publishing partner or a hungry community and exploded/imploded along the way. Hinterland is for the long-term so we have to grow carefully, wisely, and those things also usually mean "slowly". We also have a high bar for the people in the studio and a particular work culture, which we are very protective of, so there's really no way to grow quickly. There is also the old project-management adage, "9 women cannot have a baby in 1 month", which is also very relevant here. More people does not necessarily mean faster, or better.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

 There is also the old project-management adage, "9 women cannot have a baby in 1 month", which is also very relevant here. More people does not necessarily mean faster, or better.

That is a great line, I am totally stealing it for my next workplace argument!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

That is a great line, I am totally stealing it for my next workplace argument!

It's from the book the Mythical Man-Month, if I'm not mistaken. Good read for S/W engineers and PMs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

That is a great line, I am totally stealing it for my next workplace argument!

Where I live, it's usually written as "A (project) manager is a person who thinks that nine women will deliver a baby in 1 month." To which someone later added "A senior project manager is smart enough to plan 2 months for it."

(Of course, both of them are wrong.)

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Feel free to ask in a future Mailbag and if I think I can offer a useful response, I will. In general though, it relates to what I said in my answer to @MueckE. The short follow-up would be there are many examples of studios that grew too quickly to support the needs of a publishing partner or a hungry community and exploded/imploded along the way. Hinterland is for the long-term so we have to grow carefully, wisely, and those things also usually mean "slowly". We also have a high bar for the people in the studio and a particular work culture, which we are very protective of, so there's really no way to grow quickly. There is also the old project-management adage, "9 women cannot have a baby in 1 month", which is also very relevant here. More people does not necessarily mean faster, or better.

Thank you very much for helping me understand.  You and your team have done amazing work and I look forward to seeing more of TLD and other games by Hinterland :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now