Changes I would make to the game

Terminator12

Remove dying during sleep, any time your health starts decreasing you should automatically wake up or be notified that your health is decreasing.

Clothing items should not have the same weight in your inventory if you are wearing them. Decrease the clothing weight by half if you are wearing the item.

There should be like a step up or over action to get over small obstacles on the ground such as branches or steps that are blocking you. The reason the game does not allow you to jump is because you could cheese the wildlife very easily and this would not allow you to do that it's just a quality of life feature.

Allow players to clear off surfaces such as tables of all the debris on it so you can store your stuff on it easier.

Allow players to move furniture in indoor locations.

THE GAME CRASHES TOO OFTEN ON PS4 PLEASE FIX.

1 hour ago, Terminator12 said:

Remove dying during sleep

I feel it's more important for players to learn to pay attention to what they are doing, rather than the game saving us from ourselves.  To me, this game is all about taking careful and deliberate action.  Making a poor decision should have consequences, even ones that result in death.  If we pay attention to our needs, then dying in our sleep is not a problem.  For failing to pay attention to our needs, I think dying in our sleep is perfectly fair.  :) 

Clothing items should not have the same weight in your inventory if you are wearing them.

I was pretty sure this is already a thing... granted I've not checked in a while.  The last time I checked "Kg Worn" always came out to less than when I took off my clothes and stored them in the backpack.  (anyone who has done more science recently, please chime in if you have better information).

There should be like a step up or over action to get over small obstacles on the ground such as branches or steps that are blocking you.

It's not really that much of an issue... sure it requires the player to play more attention, but even with the game as is we can get still manage to "climb mountains" and even get to areas on the map that (strickly speaking) we're not necessarily meant to get to. :) 
Also, considering wild life can't "jump"
 either... I would say then that it's consistent and therefore still fair.  As I've been saying more and more theses days... it's up to us to find creative ways to live in the world that's been provided for us.  If we work at it a little bit... I find that the inability to "jump" or "step over things" isn't really much of an issue.

Allow players to clear off surfaces such as tables of all the debris on it so you can store your stuff on it easier.
Allow players to move furniture in indoor locations.

That's been spoken about on wish lists for quite a while know: the capability to be able to have more options to better customize our living space.  I am definitely all for that.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Terminator12 said:

Remove dying during sleep, any time your health starts decreasing you should automatically wake up or be notified that your health is decreasing.

Clothing items should not have the same weight in your inventory if you are wearing them. Decrease the clothing weight by half if you are wearing the item.

There should be like a step up or over action to get over small obstacles on the ground such as branches or steps that are blocking you.

If you are having trouble with dyeing in your sleep then play in pilgrim or voyager until understand where is safe to sleep, because they do wake you up.

clothing does weigh less when worn. just not by that extreme.

one of the major reasons you have such limited mobility is so hinterland doesn't have to do thing like add inviable walls (other then the three I have found) and massive cliffs every where to define the border of the map.

I would not remove dying in ones sleep, but I would like to see them allow the player to see their stats and cancel sleep, just as they can do now with passing the time.  There is a setting in Custom (that is also active in Pilgrim and Voyageur) that does awake the player if the game detects that they are freezing by a fire.  It does not wake you if you go to sleep without being by a lit fire in the first place (learned that the hard way).

I don't mind that this game heavily restricts the amount of items the player can carry (using weight).  Deciding what to wear and carry in order to stay unencumbered is a large part of the challenge of this game, and I like that challenge.

I would absolutely love a "step over" action for getting over the concrete blocks at the Rural Crossroads and getting up onto some of the logs that form bridges in the game.  However, I would not like a jump mechanic.

I really have no opinion about being able to clear off tables or move furniture.  When it is in my way, I turn it into firewood and I store most things in piles on the floor.

• Upvote 1

The dying from cold in sleep is supposed to be realistic I think. Because in real life if you sleep in the cold, the cold puts you in a deeper sleep and I think people have died this way before. Though, this reminded me of a important feature that is not in the game that I think should be. and that is that when you are harvesting something large or quartering a large animal and hours go by, it should stop progress as soon as the cold starts to cut away at you health. Or at least at a certain level. Like maybe if your health gets to half, it stops quartering. Or maybe you can set the health-level for auto-stop (automatically stopping) harvest, yourself in the settings, I like that.Because with the way it is now you can literally die harvesting an animal and by accident.
 But who would die harvesting an animal when there are other chances to take in that moment to increase your chance of survival?
(Assuming there are other options and chances).

I agree with lower weight on worn clothing.

Interior object moving and modifying - I heard that this is coming in the future but I don;t know what it will look like or how much you will be able to modify.

Edited by XAlaskan_420X
typos
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

The dying from cold in sleep is supposed to be realistic I think. Because in real life if you sleep in the cold, the cold puts you in a deeper sleep and I think people have died this way before. Though, this reminded me of a important feature that is not in the game that I think should be. and that is that when you are harvesting something large or quartering a large animal and hours go by, it should stop progress as soon as the cold starts to cut away at you health. Or at least at a certain level. Like maybe if your health gets to half, it stops quartering. Or maybe you can set the health-level for auto-stop (automatically stopping) harvest, yourself in the settings, I like that.Because with the way it is now you can literally die harvesting an animal and by accident.

@XAlaskan_420X

I don't necessarily think it's got a whole lot to do with realism... but I think it does have to do with tending to character needs.  If one of our needs is zeroed out... then we start taking condition loss.  When that condition hits zero (it doesn't really matter why or how...) the character dies.  It's up to us as players to tend to those needs.  If we don't do that... when the character dies that's on us and it's a "fair death."

The game also has a lot to do with taking careful and deliberate action.  So if a player is not paying attention to what they are doing, then there are consequences for those actions/mistakes.

Edited by ManicManiac

On 9/10/2019 at 5:09 PM, XAlaskan_420X said:

Though, this reminded me of a important feature that is not in the game that I think should be. and that is that when you are harvesting something large or quartering a large animal and hours go by, it should stop progress as soon as the cold starts to cut away at you health. Or at least at a certain level. Like maybe if your health gets to half, it stops quartering. Or maybe you can set the health-level for auto-stop (automatically stopping) harvest, yourself in the settings, I like that.Because with the way it is now you can literally die harvesting an animal and by accident.

You can cancel if you are paying attention, jut like passing time.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, ManicManiac said:

@XAlaskan_420X

I don't necessarily think it's got a whole lot to do with realism... but I think it does have to do with tending to character needs.  If one of our needs is zeroed out... then we start taking condition loss.  When that condition hits zero (it doesn't really matter why or how...) the character dies.  It's up to us as players to tend to those needs.  If we don't do that... when the character dies that's on us and it's a "fair death."

The game also has a lot to do with taking careful and deliberate action.  So if a player is not paying attention to what they are doing, then there are consequences for those actions/mistakes.

It is from the gameplay perspective of being able to take careful and deliberate action that I think they should show us our stats while sleeping and allow us to decide to cancel the sleep if we are actually dying in our sleep.  Not showing us our stats takes away the ability to notice what is happening (e.g. that the weather has changed and our fire has gone out) and to possibly take available action to save ourselves (e.g. lighting another fire).  It throws death into the realm of RNG.

I do think that they were thinking "realism" when they set it up since you can develop hypothermia during sleep and slip into a coma from which you cannot wake; but I think it is counter to the philosophy of "careful and deliberate action."  It also makes no sense for someone sleeping in the wilds with no clock to be able to wake themselves precisely at two-hour intervals to counter the possibility of losing enough health in sleep to die.

Edited by UpUpAway95

17 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

should show us our stats while sleeping

But that's not nessisarry if the player is taking care those needs.  :D 
This is again one of those examples of how folks want to have safely nets to help them safeguard against bad decisions... that's not careful or deliberate, it's wanting the game to hold the players hand... and this game is based on the idea that it's not going to hold our hand. 

:) 

Edited by ManicManiac

19 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

But that's not nessisarry if the player is taking care those needs.  :D 
This is again one of those examples of how folks want to have safely nets to help them safeguard against bad decisions... that's not careful or deliberate, it's wanting the game to hold the players hand... and this game is based on the idea that it's not going to hold your hand. 

What safety net... you go to sleep in a snow shelter with a fire outside it in a place as sheltered as you can and the wind changes blowing the fire out and the temperature drops to a point where you start freezing to death.  Because they won't show you the interface and feel that they have to "punish" you for the game's RNG (weather changes), you die.  I don't think this sort of tricking the player into dying is either necessary or desirable... but by all means you're entitled to your opinion.  It's not a safety net that wakes you up.  It's showing information to the player that they are currently being denied and allowing them to cancel the sleep action that same as they can currently cancel any other time-related action in the game... like harvesting or fishing or just passing time.

Edited by UpUpAway95

20 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

you go to sleep in a snow shelter with a fire outside it in a place as sheltered as you can and the wind changes blowing the fire out and the temperature drops to a point where you start freezing to death.

...and this is the risk the player knowingly takes when they chose to do that.

The game doesn't trick the player into anything.  The player knows the weather is volatile (it's not a secret).  The Player knows that the snow shelter isn't very warm compared to a proper shelter.  The player knows they need to place their fire in a place ideally protected from more than one angle to help prevent it getting blown out.  The player knows that if the temp drops too low they can start to freeze and lose condition.  The player can even choose how long they sleep...

All of this is player choice it has nothing to do with the game "tricking you."  It has everything to do with how the player chooses to try and live in the world... if they chose poorly, they likely die.  That's not the game's fault... that's the player's fault. 

Edited by ManicManiac

6 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

...and this is the risk the player knowingly takes when they chose to do that.

The game doesn't trick the player into anything.  The player knows the weather is volatile (it's not a secret).  The Player knows that the snow shelter isn't very warm compared to a proper shelter.  The player knows they need to place their fire in a place ideally protected from more than one angle to help prevent it getting blown out.  The player knows that if the temp drops too low they can start to freeze and lose condition.  The player can even choose how long they sleep...  All of this is player choice it has nothing to do with the game "tricking you."  It has everything to do with how the player chooses to try and live in the world... if they chose poorly, they likely die.  That's not the games fault... that's the player's fault. 

You light fire to harvest a carcass and you start to harvest it knowing that the weather is volitile.  They allow you to cancel that action.

Why then, if sleep is the action, that option is denied?  It's no more "hand holding" than with the first scenario.  It is just being "tricky" about it.

Edited by UpUpAway95

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

You light fire to harvest a carcass and you start to harvest it knowing that the weather is volitile.  They allow you to cancel that action.

... because your character is conscious :D 

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Why then, if sleep is the action, that option is denied

...because your character is unconscious :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
I can thoroughly articulate my logic all day long...
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

... because your character is conscious :D 

...because your character is unconscious :D 

... and earlier in the thread you said it wasn't about realism, but gameplay.  From a gameplay perspective, it's a bait and switch.  They set up the "game rule" that you can see your stats and cancel actions... and then for this singular action, they deny that.  If they instead increased the difficulty by not allowing the cancellation of any action, I'd be fine with it.  The player then would have to pay better attention to how long it takes to harvest amounts of meat and make conscious decisions to only partially harvest animals when they don't have the warmth or the energy or the calories to complete the job.  If the weather changes while harvesting, that's RNG... same "luck" as if the weather changes while sleeping.  You automatically go to an accusation that what people want when they suggest things here is to make the game easier.  I am not about making the game easier, I'm about making the "game rules" consistent and fair.  You, of course, are entitled to your opinion, but I am getting tired of hearing that same accusation about wanting it easy from you time and again.

43 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

... and earlier in the thread you said it wasn't about realism, but gameplay...

:D you're kind of clutching at straws now... I'm not going to bother pasting your entire comment or break it down point by point because we've done that already, and I don't see any point in running around in circles about it.

I wasn't talking about realism (as again it's not really important to the conversation).  You asked what I considered two obvious questions and I gave what I thought to be the obvious answers.  I wasn't comparing anything to real life... I just gave you the rational you asked about.

I've not accused you of anything... it seems like you might be making assumptions.  You make a statement: when I agree with you, I support your statement... when I don't, I weigh in with my perspective.    (just like you do in this forum)

The point is... just because something doesn't suit your tastes doesn't make it bad, and just because you have an opinion does mean everyone will agree with you.  You can always not play if it bothers you that much.

At this point, you and I are done with this particular conversation. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
edited for clairty

50 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

:D you're kind of clutching at straws now... I'm not going to bother pasting your entire comment or break it down point by point because we've done that already, and I don't see any point in running around in circles about it.

I wasn't talking about realism (as again it's not really important to the conversation).  You asked what I considered two obvious questions and I gave what I thought to be the obvious answers.  I wasn't comparing anything to real life... I just gave you the rational you asked about.

I've not accused you of anything... it seems like you might be making assumptions.  You make a statement: when I agree with you, I support your statement... when I don't, I weigh in with my perspective.    (just like you do in this forum)

The point is... just because something doesn't suit your tastes doesn't make it bad, and just because you have an opinion does mean everyone will agree with you.  You can always not play if it bothers you that much.

At this point, you and I are done with this particular conversation. :) 

At this point, I'm done with not only this conversation but also trying to express or explain the rationale behind any of my opinions on this website.  I suggest you re-read the comments you made about " This is again one of those examples of how folks want to have safely nets to help them safeguard against bad decisions... that's not careful or deliberate, it's wanting the game to hold the players hand... and this game is based on the idea that it's not going to hold our hand."

Since one person in this thread asked to have their account removed I'm locking it.

You should be able to disagree and debate while still being friendly and nobody feeling insulted or slighted. Please everyone work on this as it's something we're  trying to accomplish here in contrast to other gaming forums.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

• Admin locked this topic