Tape

LoneWolf5841

Tape we need some kind of tape not for crafting but for marking basically you can use this tape to mark places you been to for example if you search the entirety of a specific house you could go to the door equip the tape and there would be an option to apply tape to the door and it puts a big X on the door letting you know the next time you come across it that you already searched it and maybe if you leave an item inside that you want to come back to you could lay 1 piece of tape on the door so a \ instead of an X this would let you know hey I searched this building  but left something inside that I wanted to come back for. Obviously the tape would have to be found in the world like any other item but will be fairly common and it has a durability to simulate running out of tape and this item would be unrepairable so once its condition drops to 0 you have to find more. This is a simple idea and would like to see its' addition to the game if you want to it could be used to craft something but I just want to mark doors with it lol. And yes I know you could drop something in front of the door but I really don't like doing that because every resource in the game is valuable so that item in front of that door will be picked up later and used so this idea with the tape would solve that. 

43 minutes ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

Tape we need some kind of tape not for crafting but for marking basically you can use this tape to mark places you been to for example if you search the entirety of a specific house you could go to the door equip the tape and there would be an option to apply tape to the door and it puts a big X on the door letting you know the next time you come across it that you already searched it and maybe if you leave an item inside that you want to come back to you could lay 1 piece of tape on the door so a \ instead of an X this would let you know hey I searched this building  but left something inside that I wanted to come back for. Obviously the tape would have to be found in the world like any other item but will be fairly common and it has a durability to simulate running out of tape and this item would be unrepairable so once its condition drops to 0 you have to find more. This is a simple idea and would like to see its' addition to the game if you want to it could be used to craft something but I just want to mark doors with it lol. And yes I know you could drop something in front of the door but I really don't like doing that because every resource in the game is valuable so that item in front of that door will be picked up later and used so this idea with the tape would solve that. 

Easiest method I've found is to drop a tinder plug in front of the door of any house I've fully search.  You can also place them on the hoods of vehicles you've searched.  You can also use them to mark pathways (even by lining them up to form arrows in the snow).  You absolutely do not need to use tinder plugs after you get to Level 3 in Fire Starting Skill and they are readily available from newsprint, cardboard and from chopping up fir and cedar logs for fire wood.  You can also craft them from sticks, and as such they are a completely renewable resource.  Personally, I would not bother with carrying tape (another item in the inventory) for such a purpose.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Easiest method I've found is to drop a tinder plug in front of the door of any house I've fully search.  You can also place them on the hoods of vehicles you've searched.  You can also use them to mark pathways (even by lining them up to form arrows in the snow).  You absolutely do not need to use tinder plugs after you get to Level 3 in Fire Starting Skill and they are readily available from newsprint, cardboard and from chopping up fir and cedar logs for fire wood.  You can also craft them from sticks, and as such they are a completely renewable resource.  Personally, I would not bother with carrying tape (another item in the inventory) for such a purpose.

That is a good point, I forgot about level 3 fire starting skill removing the need for tinder, i'm just a masive horder in games so it must've sliped my mind

• 2 weeks later...

Flip open the mailbox and leave it open if you searched the house. It doesn't work for everywhere but it helps especially if you have multiple runs. Also for cars I just pop the hood open if I already searched the car. Maybe not tape but it would be cool to use the charcoal to mark an x on a spot if you wanted to remember it. Its easy to have too much charcoal laying around. 

1 hour ago, Timmytwothumbs said:

Maybe not tape but it would be cool to use the charcoal to mark an x on a spot if you wanted to remember it. Its easy to have too much charcoal laying around. 

This is a good idea. I know harvesting the charcoal is optional, but needing one piece for a map and accidentally harvesting 20 from a fireplace is definitely an issue. Having a use for the excess would be great. 

11 hours ago, Timmytwothumbs said:

Maybe not tape but it would be cool to use the charcoal to mark an x on a spot if you wanted to remember it. Its easy to have too much charcoal laying around. 

Oh that is a good idea way better than tape as if they used charcoal there would be no need of adding a new item to the game like that idea more than my tape idea lol