Thunder Storms?

LoneWolf5841

This may be an odd suggestion for the game but as a person who is fascinated by thunderstorms, I am interested in this. my suggestion is can there be lightning in the game during snowstorms, especially during blizzards. Lightning could also happen during light snowfall as well. I would love to be next to a nice warm fire listening to the fire crackle with the occasional flash of lightning then the rumble of the thunder produced by it. This could mostly be an ambiance thing more than anything but if you wanted to you could add a very low chance of getting struck by lightning this would have a 99% fatally rate but if you're lucky you could survive it with major burns but would have almost no condition so you would have to recover this would obviously be a extremely low chance to both survive a lightning strike as well as to even get hit by it just like in real life but it would motivate you to find shelter until it passes. The second bit isn't entirely necessary though I would be fine with just the lightning itself just for an ambient effect. Now my 2 questions are would a geostorm like the one in the game prevent lighting from occurring? If so make lightning only possible during the Aurora, secondly, can lightning even occur during a snowstorm? I live in an area where snow is not very common but the occasional times it does snow there has been no lighting involved. I feel like lightning could occur in a snowstorm but if can't occur in snowstorms could someone perhaps explain the science behind why it can't? 

1 hour ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

This may be an odd suggestion for the game but as a person who is fascinated by thunderstorms, I am interested in this. my suggestion is can there be lightning in the game during snowstorms, especially during blizzards. Lightning could also happen during light snowfall as well. I would love to be next to a nice warm fire listening to the fire crackle with the occasional flash of lightning then the rumble of the thunder produced by it. This could mostly be an ambiance thing more than anything but if you wanted to you could add a very low chance of getting struck by lightning this would have a 99% fatally rate but if you're lucky you could survive it with major burns but would have almost no condition so you would have to recover this would obviously be a extremely low chance to both survive a lightning strike as well as to even get hit by it just like in real life but it would motivate you to find shelter until it passes. The second bit isn't entirely necessary though I would be fine with just the lightning itself just for an ambient effect. Now my 2 questions are would a geostorm like the one in the game prevent lighting from occurring? If so make lightning only possible during the Aurora, secondly, can lightning even occur during a snowstorm? I live in an area where snow is not very common but the occasional times it does snow there has been no lighting involved. I feel like lightning could occur in a snowstorm but if can't occur in snowstorms could someone perhaps explain the science behind why it can't? 

Around here, lightning can occur during a snowstorm but it is EXTREMELY rare.  I've never actually seen a bolt of lightning during a snowstorm, but I have heard thunder... maybe once in a year.  I believe it is something that is more common in US states which have snow (i.e. at warmer mean temperatures  than what we generally have here in Alberta, Canada).  BC's coastal climate is moister and generally a little warmer than here, so they may see more winter thunderstorms than we do.  I've only seen auroras when the skies are clear.  I'm not sure if they form above the clouds during storms or not.

I found this article that explains some of the science involved and provides links to some great video clips.

https://stormhighway.com/thundersnow.php

• Like 1