Player base decorating, using the curing in place glitch

piddy3825

A big shout out to @ajb1978, for having discovered the curing in place glitch!  His discovery has brought many hours of enjoyment to the game and especially to decorating my player base.  For those of you who may not know about this phenomena, it's a fairly simple process.  This works on any pelt or hide, although not all wall spaces are conducive to the trick.   As your hide/pelt is drying, pick it up when the item reaches 99% cured.  Hold it up to where you would want to be and just wait.  and wait.  and wait.  (be sure to hydrate and eat, some items take longer than others to cure in place, rabbit skins are the quickest and moose and bear hides take the longest.)

screen_c06e1d98-8ee9-4a46-b491-18884a1f9f26_hi.thumb.png.aa6852c5ceb411bc4b61bcc1086f173e.png

This was the culmination of hours of game play.  Hunting and stoning rabbits, subsequently harvesting and drying pelts and ultimately "curing in place."  The last time I posted a picture of rabbit pelts on a pegboard, some knucklehead accused me of posting a screenshot using a mod and had my work deleted.   That just inspired me to do it better, so here's part two!

This is my personal masterpiece of curing in place...  Behold... Multilayered Rabbit Pelt Pegboard!!!  screen_29a6ae75-3ef7-4f90-b702-fd51a26c18f0_hi.thumb.png.f601c29f5582e344435ac1b43677efa8.png

My Magnum Opus!  first screenshot is natural light, the second a lighter brighter by way of torch light.

screen_89e99a51-c575-4cc9-b8f5-33b75ed94ef0_hi.thumb.png.9e89304a196844b7d18da60d725b32ac.png

It took hours to hunt down all these bunnies, I got pretty good at throwing stones, although i did catch a few with snares.  I typically would get 3-4 rabbits every couple of days.  I found it goes pretty quick the more pelts you have drying.  Especially when you forget a few or don't get to them in time.  Hence the gloves and hats, Lol.

I was surprised and very pleased when I discovered I could layer this pelts.  It's different each time you pick a pelt up as the angle of your approach affects the final placement.  Now you also have to take into account the "sway" of your character as they stand there over time.  I usually eat and hydrate before I put any hides up cause sometimes you gotta wait a long time before the hide final cures.   I typically swiffer my hardwood floors at home when I am curing in place cause that helps to pass the time, lol.

Got 40 pelts on this pegboard wall and each is perfectly layered with no clipping I am proud to report.  That by far was the most arduous yet rewarding tasks that I've yet achieved in the sandbox.  Hope you like what you've seen!    Your comments and thoughts greatly encouraged and appreciated.  Thanks for reading!

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

A big shout out to @ajb1978, for having discovered the curing in place glitch! 

Thanks boss!  Here is the image that started it all, three years ago... I was moving a bear hide and it hit 100% as I was RMBing it around.  And the rest, as they say, is history.

20160603184313_1.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what am I missing here? The ability to display them where we wouldn't/couldn't normally? Or do we get magic pelts appearing out of thin air?

The second one.  If you position a 99% cured hide, and it hits 100% before you release it, you automatically lose your grip on it and it stays in that place.  So you can use this method to sort of hang hides on the walls, staple them to the ceiling, or in that screenshot somehow slam it through a wall.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Simone Else said:

can i fix the hole in the mountaneers hut roof using a bear hide with this trick? 

no, alas, you cannot.  I've tried many times with a variety of hides, to no avail.  the only thing that i really haven't tried is to maybe get just a portion of a hide to cover just a part of the hole and then kinda patch multiple hides around the opening.  dont know if that could work, but maybe somebody could try it the next time they find themselves up on TWM and let us all know?  hint hint, lol