Man's best Friend

This is part three to my short story's I recommend reading part one https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/22813-the-day-the-world-went-dark/?tab=comments#comment-158070

and reading part two https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/35340-unfriendly-encounters/

Hope you enjoy.

Man’s best friend

I woke in a panic from the dream I’d just had of me still being trapped in my squad car. I caught my breath only to realize that I was still safe and sound tucked under my blankets in my bed room. I looked up at the ceiling and pulled the blankets off of me “Here we go again” I said with a sigh while getting up and sitting on ridge of the bed. Weather does not sound that bad I said in my head while getting to my feet and walking to the window in the corner of the room, I whipped the frost off the window and peered out “looks like a clear day to” I said with a grin. I turned back and walked to my  gun safe only to find out the electric keypad fried to “Great, so close yet so far” I said in my head.

After several hours of planning and thinking ahead of time my plan was to walk back to the police station and find out if any of my coworker were still there and if they knew what happened. after eating a small breakfast I was finally ready to walk out the door and then I thought “Okay, hopefully I don’t get shot or knocked out this time” OH! speaking of getting shot I remembered to grab some painkillers from the medical cabinet. When I got back from the bathroom I opened the front door and stepped out. I took a second to breath in the cold winter air and then turned around and locked the door and put the key back under the welcome mat “Okay.” I said with a large ex-hail while walking off the front porch.

After a four hour hike to the police station I was getting close. I stooped at the side of the road and took a small victory/snack break. I took off the small hiking pack I brought with me, and pulled out a few energy bars and two sodas. After enjoying my “Lunch” I got up and proceeded on my hike.

It was around 1pm when I came over a hill’s crest to see the police station. I jogged to the police stations parking lot and rushed to the front glass door, it was locked and the window was frosted over. I banged on the door and yelled the name of my fellow officers to see if I would get a response  “JOHN!   RICHMOND! ANYONE?!? ITS ME!” after that it was quite only the sound of the loud winter wind picking up. I walked around back to find out that the back door was locked “I need to get in there” I said while peering thru the small window on the door. “GUYS I’M COMING IN DONT SHOOT!” I yelled while getting ready to break the window with my elbow “CRACK” the window Shattered and I broke off the the glass lining the door. I reached my arm inside and reached for the handle “click” I pulled my arm out and opened the door. I slowly opened the door and took my first step inside. “guys?”

I could now see that no one was here or has been here for some time. I took a few more steps inside on stepped on some glass from the window “CRACK crunch” “SCREECH” I spot it my tracks when I heard the sound of metal scooting against the floor “Hello?” I said while walking to where I heard the sound. The sound came from the break room and that’s when I heard what sounded like whimpers I turned the corner into the break room and then I saw it or I guess “him” It was Riley the stations only K.9 Unit I looked around for officer Richmond who is his handler and it was just him. He sat up and looked at me and whimpered “Hey boy it’s me remember” I said while slowly walking to him with my hand extended for him to smell. “It’s okay it’s just me” and then I noticed that his leash covered in chew marks was wrapped around one of the leg’s of Richmond’s desk. He gave my hand a few sniff’s and a lick so I pet him on the head now that we finished our “reunion” I reached under the desk and lifted it up and freed the leash. I could tell that he was hungry because as soon as I motioned food his tail started to wag “ Okay I’ll be right back” I got up and started to walk to the back room when I got to the door Riley then got up and barked “What?” I said in a confused voice while he walked over to me. he then whimpered again and laid down on my leg I knelt down and pet is back “It’s okay I’m not leaving you” I said while he was looking up at me.

I got up and opened the door to the back room and stepped inside and walked to the back of the small storage room I turned back and looked out the door to see Riley getting up again ready to walk to me “Stay it crowded enough in here” I grabbed a 25id bag of dog food from one of the shelf’s I walked back to the room that Riley was in. “See I didn’t leave you” I said while walking to his food and water bowl next to the desk when I got to his bowls I could see that his food bowl was empty and his water bowl was frozen solid. I knelt down and opened the bag of dog food and poured the food into his bowl I turned around when I heard Riley nails scratching against the tail floor he came walking over and start eating. I picked up his water bowl and flipped it over and the ice fell out when it hit the ground Riley jump but soon went back to eating. I put the bowl back down and took off my back pack and put it on the desk I opened it and pulled out the one soda left over from my “lunch” I cracked it open a poured it into his bowl “I’m sorry it not water but it was mostly likely water at one point.

After 10 to 20 minutes of searching the police station I was satisfied with what I got from my trip not only did I make a new friend but there was a old fully stocked vending machine. Riley was done eating so I said “Come on boy let’s get moving” he got up and I put some dog food in my bag. We started walking to the back door but when we were walking past the front desk I stopped and grab a pen and a small piece of paper and told Riley to stay I walk back to Richmond’s desk and I wrote “Don’t worry I have Riley hes safe signed Unit 109“ I tried to avoid name because I did not know who else could read the note. I walk back to the door and said “ Okay Riley let go I think your going to like my place” We took our first steps out and I closed the door behind us.
I could tell that Riley was happy to be out because he was rolling in the snow as soon as we got out and I think he could tell that I was happy to have a friend. We started our walk back to the house.

THE END
To be continued

• Like 1

I am not sure how long we can edit these things, to be honest. There were a few spelling errors, and some grammatical errors, but it made sense. I could see what you were trying to say.

And this part of the story made me smile, quite a bit. Some hope in the Darkness. Please don't stop. I want to know more about these two friends, and where they go from here.  :)

13 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I am not sure how long we can edit these things, to be honest. There were a few spelling errors, and some grammatical errors, but it made sense. I could see what you were trying to say.

And this part of the story made me smile, quite a bit. Some hope in the Darkness. Please don't stop. I want to know more about these two friends, and where they go from here.  :)

Just got done with writing part 4. Thank you for understanding I try my best to fix everything but there is always something that gets past me.

Edited by Ghosty 1944

1 hour ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

Just got done with writing part 4. Thank you for understanding I try my best to fix everything but there is always something that gets past me.

No worries. I have an odd form of acquired dyslexia. I make mistakes often as well. What counts to me when reading other peoples' writing, or looking at their art, or listening to their music, is the passion, and creativity they show. And yours shines. 🌞