Milton on Interloper?

Rexdawn

I love Milton but it feels like a death trap.  I like using the workbench at the farmhouse for my crafting needs to ward off cabin fever.  I like the cave behind Grey Mother's house that's right by a rabbit grove.  It seems like a great place to go after you've made your improvised tools to advance, but the wolves ruin it.  They have so many places to hide and there are so many chokepoints where I just get jumped.  I have no idea how to deal with it.

Has anyone lived in Milton for an extensive period of time on Interloper?  It's pretty much the only place in the game I'd like to live in.

Edited by Rexdawn

Spent some time there on my way to HRV, but I wouldn't say extensively. I lived for a bit in the large house, crafted at the farm, but I mainly spent my time at the trailer.

You've gotta be careful with wolves and not even the porch is safe, but I wouldn't call the entire map a death trap. But then I've also lived for over a month at Qonset Garage, which many consider a death trap too

I'm not a very successful interloper player... yet; so take this all with a grain of salt; but what has been most successful for me in Milton is to be sure to have a lit torch in hand and some in the inventory to "torch walk" (lighting the next torch from the previously by throwing the already lit one on the ground and touching the unlit torch to the lit one).  If the wolf is going to challenge me while holding the torch, I start lighting a fire right there in streets.  You don't even have to actually get the fire to light as they will usually run off the moment you start lighting it.  Of coursse, the wind can kill this method by blowing out your torches.

Alternatively, it's bait and bow... but I'm really bad at this technique yet so I often get attacked either because I miss my shot  or I don't back away far enough from my bait.

I'm fond of the basin below the farm house with the crafting station.  There's a bit with a stove that's fairly close to the entrance to FM.  Good rabbits, the occasional deer, a cave to dry hides in, there's wolves but the sight lines are a bit better. I haven't been there on Interloper, but I have hung out on the Marsh Ridge with is just over the wall basically.

@Rexdawn I totally agree. It has much going for it on Loper but the wolves + sight lines make it terrifying. I've never stayed long term but I think the trick is to master the wolf movements. While there's sound advice and options regarding dealing with wolf encounters, I personally prefer to avoid contact altogether and Milton makes that very difficult. The outdoor crafting really appeals but I'll stick to passing through.

• 2 weeks later...

As we get better at dealing with and/or avoiding wolves, they're not that much trouble.  One good solution (though it does take some time to master) is if we practice throwing stones without "aiming,"  It's fairly easy to drive off wolves quickly and consistently, and rocks are everywhere.  I tend to gather them near known wolf locations so I don't have to carry more than 1 or 2 with me.

As I mention in a previous thread:

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, ManicManiac said:

I spend probably more time than I should pitching stones at wolves, but it is such and effective deterrent.  As an additional benefit, most of us here already know that when you right click to "aim" a stalking wolf will instantly go into a charge.

The good news about pitching a stone, is you don't have to aim.  I have a wolf near by where I am camped out, and it's the one wolf on the map that is safe.  I keep it to target practice with stones.  The more you practice, the better your estimation of the throw will be without having to aim in.  This comes in handy when you want to distract a patrolling wolf, or if you need bop it's nose to get to stop stalking you.

Also... harassing bears with stones is funny, until it's not. :D 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:21 AM, ManicManiac said:

Practice throwing stones at everything.  Rabbits... Wolves... Bears... Deer... doesn't matter.  The more you pitch stones, the more naturally your estimation of the throw will be.  We all know by now that a stalking wolf will charge as soon as you aim at it... well you don't have to aim to pitch a stone.  If you are practiced, you can always send them running any time they start to stalk you with a well placed throw.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited for clarity

Just started a new Interloper run and managed to make it out of Hushed River Valley alive , so I'm going to see if I can live long enough to make the forge on Forlorn . I've played Milton on Voyageur and yes it's a wolf trap but we'll see how it shakes out on this run. Currently sitting at the farmhouse. 

Milton is my Interloper retirement village!  Specifically, Milton Park - the area from the cliff-side office with no door to the Orca Gas Station.

I don't reckon there is a nicer (or safer) place to retire.

I don't move in until I've completed every Interloper "must-do" task. Once I've found all the necessary items, used the forge and have done all essential crafting, I relocate.  The climbing area office becomes my main hangout spot and base.  The Orca Gas Station is where I sleep at night, and where I hunker down during blizzards.

Notable things...

• The office building with the open door counts as "outside" for the Cabin Fever mechanic.
  • For long sleeps, Orca is safer than chancing it in the office building.
  • Both OGS and the office have fixed beds, so your bedroll won't get a lot of use.
  • There are more than enough sticks around, without having to venture too far.
  • Wolves are easy to manage - they never come up to the office building unless you do something to bring them there.  The only (low) wolf encounter risk is going down to the back door of the OGS to sleep, and a careful choice of path gives you decent sight lines and safety for that short trip.
  • By climbing down the nearby rope, there is at most one wolf between you and Trapper's in ML.  Small cave down there with a bit of coal.  Large transition cave with more coal.  The large cave is a shade lighter than pitch-black during the day - if you know it a bit, you can do the trip without needing a light source.  Trapper's has a workbench, is a safe bear-killing spot, sees many deer, and is visited by moose.
  • There is a way to go clockwise around the big rocky outcrop behind the office building - you can easily mountain-goat your way down to the levels leading to the waterfall.  That's the easiest way to the farmhouse (if you don't mind the wolves), and to the rope climbs to Milton Basin and FM beyond.
  • Avoid going near the town, unless you are actively trying to attract a wolf, eg. to have it kill a nearby deer.  On a sunny day, your magnifying glass plus a helpful wolf gets you a big old free feed.  The Milton Park area gives you plenty of opportunities for this - certainly enough to sustain a starvation diet.

My best Interloper game has gone past 700 days now, based in Milton Park.  I can live using very few resources, trotting between OGS and the office.  Both places are stuffed full of stored goodies.  In that game, I am not short of anything.  I stretched it to 700 days to kind of prove a point to myself, to see just how low I could get "wear and tear", whether I could get enough food using nothing but a magnifying glass, etc.

I stopped playing that one due to the insane boredom issues with it, and kicked off various new Interloper games.  But whenever I got to "engame" point, guess what?  I always gravitated to Milton Park, and retired to the "easy" life on that cliff!

• Like 1