Crashed Plane scene in Survival mode

Timmytwothumbs

Its not super important for gameplay but I think it would be cool if there was a crashed plane scene, similar to story mode ,but in sandbox mode at your start location. The plane crash scene would look slightly different at every start location and there could be a couple things to loot from your crashed plane. Like I said not super important but it would add to the experience at least in the beginning. If I'm not mistaken I believe The Forest does this with the plane crash but in that game it's essentially the same exact scene just a different place in the map. Anyways let me know what you guys think.

• Upvote 2

I agree that it would be tough to implement with the random starts.  One way they could work it in is to insert an option for the player to select the Plane Crash Site in Mountain Town as a separate option to the various regional starts and then, if the player selects that specific start, play the initial scene from Wintermute rather than the regular loading screen.  It could be a start that you have a chance of getting as well when selecting "random" in one of the easier modes (pilgrim or voyageur) by tying it to the "allow indoor starts" option in the custom menu.

An easier way would be to have a parachuting scene where the character bails out, maybe the camera starts high and lowers to your start location with the sound of the character landing. Whatever the case, I don't think it's nearly important enough to add to the game. Sometimes I want to be my own person separate from Will or Astrid.

I guess it sounds like I'm saying a cinematic scene but really I just want to see rubble and flames from the plane crash at the start locations like the plane crash in Milton/Mountain town. Because the game says "your plane has crashed in the wilderness". But there's no crash it's just you alone in the wilderness. Like I said not super important but sometimes it's the little details that go a long way. 

28 minutes ago, Timmytwothumbs said:

I guess it sounds like I'm saying a cinematic scene but really I just want to see rubble and flames from the plane crash at the start locations like the plane crash in Milton/Mountain town. Because the game says "your plane has crashed in the wilderness". But there's no crash it's just you alone in the wilderness. Like I said not super important but sometimes it's the little details that go a long way. 

Because of the variety of starts available at random, including indoor starts depending on the settings used, I really don't see that happening.  My alternative of allowing the player to select a plane crash start, was meant to be a compromise.  I supposed they could also add in a TWM Summit plane crash start option that starts you near the pieces of that plane that are not on the summit itself.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:56 AM, Timmytwothumbs said:

... the game says "your plane has crashed in the wilderness". But there's no crash it's just you alone in the wilderness.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:59 AM, Timmytwothumbs said:

Its not super important for gameplay...

I agree, it's not very important for us to have a crash sight near by where we initially spawn.

I don't think it would really add any gameplay value at all.  Since it's a hand crafted map it also sort of seems impractical, and since it's not vital I don't mind that it's not there.  We have this feature in the story mode (where narrative is of prime importance), but in the survival sandbox we are free to create our own narratives.  In the survival sandbox I would posit that it's not very important how our survivor ended up where they did... it's only really important to survive as long as we can.  Using the journal we can each invent any backstory we want... (doesn't even need to involve a plane crash)

:) 

I just roleplay it, depending on where I spawn in on Survival Mode. Plane crash. I probably banged my head pretty good, and have been wandering, dazed, and sore, possibly injured, for days, before coming to my senses. miraculously still alive. Easier to roleplay in Milton/Mountain Town, sure. DP, CH? I play it in my head, writing my own story, that my plane came down on the ice, I crawled out, just before the ice broke, and my plane sank, and I came around after crawling to land. TWM, PV? I was one of the only survivors on the Big Plane at the Summit, and wandered through caves, or down roads, surviving instinctively, until I regained my focus, and then instinct was lost, as my "civilized" brain came back. Anywhere, my plane came down and tumbled into an unreachable ravine after I was thrown through the windshield, or open door, following the crash.  I can write any story I like in my own head, my character can be a passenger, not the pilot, ect. I enjoy being able to create my own back-story, part of the appeal of Survival Mode for me.  If I want a more directed, linear story, I play Wintermute, or one of the Challenge Modes, the Challenge Modes still allowing me to write some of the story behind it on my own. All the things that wash up on the shores in beachcombing... are bits of the plane, the cargo, what other passengers were wearing or carrying, when the plane went down, and this is all Mother Nature can let me see of it, and them. 

I know some want to have more defined elements to their story, even in survival Mode, but  truly enjoy "winging it" (yes, I did just say that...), and writing my own story. My newest survivor is a young woman, who was flying to Alaska, to go on a vacation cruise, when the plane she was on went down on the coast, just off of Coastal Highway,. She wandered for days, going into buildings, eating and drinking what she found,  treating her injuries, all while being in a fog. Explaining the places I go to having no loot, she already was there and used what was there, but cannot remember being there because she had head trauma. And now she is lucid, and finding herself alone, on an unknown island, with almost no recollection of how she got there, or how she will survive, hoping to get home somehow, hoping she is not truly alone.

Just how I play it, YMMV.

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, Timmytwothumbs said:

Its not super important for gameplay but I think it would be cool if there was a crashed plane scene, similar to story mode ,but in sandbox mode at your start location. The plane crash scene would look slightly different at every start location and there could be a couple things to loot from your crashed plane. Like I said not super important but it would add to the experience at least in the beginning. If I'm not mistaken I believe The Forest does this with the plane crash but in that game it's essentially the same exact scene just a different place in the map. Anyways let me know what you guys think.

If they don't want to add the plane crash ~ which shouldn't be that difficult since spawn locations are set ~ they should eliminate any chance of spawning indoors, or take the plane crash out of the written intro for survival mode. The game has only been available since 2015 and I didn't mind that elephant in the room while it was in EA, but since survival mode is officially 'part' of the game, it should be addressed one way or the other. To me it is just sort of sloppy (I tend to ocd these things, particularly in my own mods).