How To Sleep In Cars?

Wolfyiez

I bought the long dark probably a month ago for Xbox 1, so just keep in mind I'm a newbie. I was playing Stalker mode and I was running from a pack of three wolves in Desolation Point. Down the road I saw a car and I dove into it, hoping I could stay there and evade the wolves, I thought I heard of other players sleeping and passing time in cars by clicking on the bed roll, but on Xbox it didn't work like that. After sitting in there for a bit, I lost my patience and took a run for it; I got chomped on by a few woofers.

How can I sleep in cars?

While sitting in the car, bring up your radial menu (LB).  Select the campfire icon, which will bring up a second radial menu that will have a bedroll icon at the top.  To enter the Sleep UI, just select that bedroll.  To pass time and not sleep, just select the deck of cards that show up just to the left of the bedroll icon.

Some cautions - cars are not at all warm and do not provide any warmth bonus like your bedroll does.  It's easy to freeze to death sleeping in a car, so sleep only in very short bursts of max 2 hours if you are at full health.  Watch your warmth meter and health meter carefully even when just passing time in a vehicle.  At least if you are just passing time, you can cancel the command before the full time is up and save yourself if you're freezing to death.  With sleep, you'll just never wake up.  You can also light a fire near the car to sleep, but that's no guarantee that the fire will stay lit.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1