My Moose Fear

Deadly Shadow

I have a fear of moose, and I don't really know why, I know how to counter them and even the best ways to hunt them. but I have a fear of them and I don't know why. does anyone else have a general fear of them? keep in mind im not scared of dying from the moose, I am scared OF the moose.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:39 PM, ajb1978 said:

Honestly no, I see a moose I get excited and immediately drop whatever it is I'm doing and hunt the moose.  I've derailed my own plans on numerous occasions because I see a moose and GNNAAAHHHH MUST HUNT!!

I'm also to this point, but when they first came out..heck ya I was scared!  Just hunt (and kill) a few and you'll get over it.

I killed it a couple times at the hydro dam because it's a great area to spend your first month in. Including my current game. The scratchings are certainly there. It's just random chance if it appears.

In FM it can be at Marsh Ridge or in the area with the snow shelter near Muskeg Overlook

On 9/2/2019 at 3:52 AM, Serenity said:

I killed it a couple times at the hydro dam because it's a great area to spend your first month in. Including my current game. The scratchings are certainly there. It's just random chance if it appears.

In FM it can be at Marsh Ridge or in the area with the snow shelter near Muskeg Overlook

I've also seen it near the ponds just to the right of the transition tunnel that goes between FM and ML. And by "to the right", I mean if you're walking into FM from ML.

I'm afraid of the moose too. I usually play on Pilgrim, and early on I assumed that because I was in a Pilgrim game, both the bear and moose would run away from me no matter what, just like the wolves and deer. 

After I got both mauled and stomped, I always make sure to give the bear and moose a wide berth unless I happen to be hunting them. I once got surprised by the moose in Broken Railroad – one that spawned in the clearing to the right of the gate up to the Forest Talkers' cabin. It chased me to the gate, and I had to lock it behind me. Broken ribs are such a pain in the ass that I prefer to be extra careful.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:51 AM, devamadhu said:

After I got both mauled and stomped

Are you telling me that moose (and bears but I don't really care about the bears as much the moose) don't obey the passive wildlife rule?? because I've heard they don't but I've never been able to find a clear answer so it would be really helpful if someone could confirm or not if they obey the rule, im sure bears obey is because I had a pilgrim game going and I saw the bear around trappers cabin in ML and I had just left the cabin, like I was still on the hill. and the bear detected me and ran away, I assumed at the time (because I was still very new to the game) that it was because of the passive wildlife rule, but I was above it, and wildlife will flee if they cant find a path to you, now im debating which of the 2 reasons it could be because there's a quite clear path but I was quite high above it so the game might have just considered it to high, but then again ive seen Hadrian (a tld youtuber) get followed by a bear in PV and he climbed the robe (the one going up to signal hill) and the bear followed him all the way up and down so I don't know what to think anymore. 

tldr; do moose (and bear but mostly moose) obey the passive wildlife rule? and do they obey the Predator Grace Period rule?  

Edited by Deadly Shadow

13 hours ago, Deadly Shadow said:

Are you telling me that moose (and bears but I don't really care about the bears as much the moose) don't obey the passive wildlife rule?? because I've heard they don't but I've never been able to find a clear answer so it would be really helpful if someone could confirm or not if they obey the rule, im sure bears obey is because I had a pilgrim game going and I saw the bear around trappers cabin in ML and I had just left the cabin, like I was still on the hill. and the bear detected me and ran away, I assumed at the time (because I was still very new to the game) that it was because of the passive wildlife rule, but I was above it, and wildlife will flee if they cant find a path to you, now im debating which of the 2 reasons it could be because there's a quite clear path but I was quite high above it so the game might have just considered it to high, but then again ive seen Hadrian (a tld youtuber) get followed by a bear in PV and he climbed the robe (the one going up to signal hill) and the bear followed him all the way up and down so I don't know what to think anymore. 

tldr; do moose (and bear but mostly moose) obey the passive wildlife rule? and do they obey the Predator Grace Period rule?  

AFAIK, both moose and bear do not spawn until after the Predator Grace Period is over... at least I have never seen one in any region within 24 hours of starting a Pilgrim (correction Voyageur) run.  (Re correction:  Thinking about it further, I do think I have seen a moose spawn near Trapper's Cabin right at the start of a Pilgrim run).

I also feel they do respect the Passive Wildlife setting and will generally run away.  It is, however, for even wolves to attack in PIlgrim mode and I believe they have gotten slightly more agressive since the last update.  More often than not now, wolves will defend their kills until scared off by throwing a stone at them or firing the pistol.  Before this last update, I have shot moose and they have run away, but since this last update, every moose I have shot and not dropped with a single shot has charged, forcing me to get a good second shot into them before they could close the distance to stomp me.  I have also been stomped when I missed that second shot.  The bears, so far, have always run... even after I have shot them and I've generally just left them to bleed out after the single shot (using crows to find them after they died).   Here's hoping that continues to hold true.

Edited by UpUpAway95

13 hours ago, Deadly Shadow said:

I almost always play on Pilgrim, and I have definitely been mauled by a bear and stomped by a moose in Pilgrim games. In contrast, I've also had bears run away from me on sight many times. Early on, I wasn't aware that if you shoot a bear or moose while you're in its line of sight, it will attack you. I thought that in Pilgrim, bears and moose were equally as passive as wolves, in the sense that they would run whether they saw you or you shot at them. But I was definitely wrong about both.

I do believe both bears and moose obey the predator grace period rule, as they both attack in a predatory way. I once started a game in Pleasant Valley to work towards the Silent Hunter achievement (survive the first 50 days without firing the Rifle) , and after crafting the bow and arrows, I decided to camp out at Pensive Pond to wait out the local moose. I saw the moose "rubs" on nearby trees, but it took forever for the moose to actually show up.

Whether this delay in spawn time is unique to the moose, or an aspect of the Predator Grace Period, I've definitely had to wait out the spawn many times in different games, even when the rubs are visible in an area. Bears definitely obey the Predator Grace Period.

45 minutes ago, devamadhu said:

Whether this delay in spawn time is unique to the moose

indeed moose have a low chance of actually spawning even on high spawn rates (such as interloper and stalker) they do have their specific spawn points (the moose rubs on trees) its just something they do, and the reason I asked about the moose obeying predator grace period is because on the TLD wiki it specifies them as "prey" technically meaning they do not obey the rule, yet they will attack on sight (without passive wildlife on anyway)

Hmm. Shot the moose, with the revolver. Did his panic thing. Shot him a total six times with the revolver (missed one or two). He never went down. I'm sure I hit him several times, at least four shots. Never saw him again. Searched for four days. Nothing. I don't have a rifle on this map. What in the blazes did I do wrong? Anyone? Is the revolver that weak?

On 9/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, ManicManiac said:

@Deadly Shadow
Have you been able to overcome your Alkiphobia or does it still gnaw at you a little bit when you see it?  

:coffee::fire::coffee:

still working on it but ive gotten better, but im still always kinda going out of my way to make sure it wont see me. but I got over my wolf fear by just running up to one and letting it attack me, now I kinda do it for fun sometimes. because wolf struggle are quite fun to me now.

Edit: im not even that scared of bears, tried killing them before but their fast, and take a long time to bleed out. and im extremely unlucky I shot at a bear 6 times (only missed 1 shot) and its was still running around, feels like passive wildlife makes them immune to bullets or something. idk jus my luck I guess.

Edited by Deadly Shadow

On 9/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, Deadly Shadow said:

Edit: im not even that scared of bears, tried killing them before but their fast, and take a long time to bleed out. and im extremely unlucky I shot at a bear 6 times (only missed 1 shot) and its was still running around, feels like passive wildlife makes them immune to bullets or something. idk jus my luck I guess.

Just hit it once and let it bleed out. It'll take hours, but it will die. Then go looking for it. They usually end up dropping near or in their cave... but not always. Of course, on a nice day, the crows circling over their lifeless form will help you find them.

Main point is that once you get one successful hit on a bear with either an arrow or the rifle (i.e. the arrow sticks in the bear) it is doomed, and there's no good reason to waste further bullets or condition on your arrows; just let it bleed out and go collect the meat, hide, and guts once it has passed.

ETA: note well this does NOT work for moose; you have to bring it down directly because they won't bleed out. You've got to keep pumping it into them until they drop to successfully hunt a moose. NB: you really only need to kill two: one for the cloak and one for the satchel. I guess maybe you might need to kill another one after a few thousand days in to make a new satchel but moose cloaks are infinitely renewable; even if it's ruined you can harvest it for a moose hide, and with four cured guts, a workbench, a hatchet or knife, and 16.67 hours, you'll have a 100% moose cloak again.

Edited by stratvox
Majestic Moose
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

I must say I'm with @ajb1978when it comes to my limited capacity to rationally react to seeing a moose. My profile picture might be a small hint to that.

The preferred mode of moose annihilation is to drop a fire, and then shoot his ass (literally) until he's so butthurt he dies. This actually makes hunting moose a bit "too" easy in my opinion. It's fine that they flee from fire, but it shouldn't deter them when they charge.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, matchstick said:

Is the revolver that weak?

Yes, the revolver is that weak. I'm not certain on this, and my experienc is limited (since I don't play Stalker much these days) but I feel like the raw damage of the revolver is actually less than the bow, while the bleed out time is as bad as the rifle. I've emptied an entire magazine on a bear (for science!) without it seeming too phased. If a bear can take such a beating, a moose can as well. I'm fairly certain the revolver cannot score a critical hit on bear and moose, which makes downing either of them with the revolver alone impractical.

With a rifle you actually have good chances. If you shoot the moose from moderate distance you'll have time for a second, point blank shot before it reaches you. Chances that either of them is critical are fairly high. With a bow I wouldn't count on that, but always drop a fire first (while, that being said, dropping a fire before huntin moose is always a good idea. The flare gun is a bit special in that I does reliably scare the moose, but does not kill it - unless the shell bugs out and get stuck "in" the moose, in which case it will slowly brun dowhn the moose.

All in all I feel like the moose is the lesser evil compared to a bear.

@turtle777
Folks that like the Moose Cloak seem to like for the fact that's got the highest water proofing, highest armor, and lowest movement restriction (compared to the wolfskin coat and bearskin coat).  Those three things are the advantages of the Moose Cloak... personally I never bother crafting it.

Edited by ManicManiac

44 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

I'm finding the moose hide cloak fairly useless. More weight than a wolf skin coat, but less warmth / wind protection.

Seem to provide better water and general protection, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Am I missing something ?

Those are fantastic aspects of it. The armour bonus is particularly sweet, with the right stuff (cloak, deer pants, deer boots, etc) you can go from taking 90% damage from a bear down to 45%. That's a huge win.

screen_3acc54c9-1e01-4551-8158-c76fe2057941.thumb.png.d0b677194c51569287b6e85cce4ef68b.png

This is pretty much the acme of clothing in TLD. Heavy snow and a brisk wind? Not an issue, because it's going to take all day for the water to get past your cloak, so it's going to take a long time for it to start to seriously wear down your warmth bonus from your clothing.