Use "E" to interact and left mouse for fight and shoot

Guest Marcurios

Guest Marcurios

Could help alleviate inavertendly firing the revolver and spilling precious ammo..
Cause having to put away the revolver isn't very defense friendly.

Maybe give us the option in Key Bindings settings.

Ever walked around, in game, with an unlit torch equipped (in hand) and matches in your pocket?  That was the equipped "revolver" of its day. You learn quickly that there is a balance between immediate availability of something and inadvertently using up a resource.  I understand what the problem is, but it still boils down to a trade-off - immediate availability versus inadvertent use - and one that the player has to make. 

• Upvote 3

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:00 AM, ajb1978 said:

Trigger discipline!

This is right on... I've mentioned in many threads that:

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:44 AM, ManicManiac said:

I've always felt this game was all about careful and deliberate action, so I've always tried to be careful when I do things.  The times I do mess up what I'm doing, I don't want the game to rescue me... I want to face the consequences of my actions/inattentiveness, and learn to be better or more careful.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:30 AM, ManicManiac said:

The player just needs to pay attention to what they are doing and not require the game to save them from themselves.  Part of what makes this game wonderful is that it will punish us for making bad decisions or not paying attention to what we are doing...

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:16 AM, ManicManiac said:

to see people wanting the game to be brutal and challenging, but then ask for safety nets/conveniences.   As I've mentioned before, these are incongruous ideas. 

@Marcurios, the best way to keep from accidentally "firing from the hip" with the revolver is for us to pay attention to what we are doing.  Specifically, if we want to (for example) pick up sticks with the revolver out... we can do that.  The way to keep from accidentally discharging would be to make sure we see text of the item we are trying to interact with appear on screen.  When we do that we won't ever fire the gun, but interact with the object instead.  The other option, as stated by others here... is to put the revolver away :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited for clarity

Guest Marcurios
14 hours ago, Willy Pete said:

Put away the pistol before you interact with something, the character draws it pretty quick with the 2 key if you're on PC. Never had this issue personally.

Ah, thanks for that, that solves the problem..

Don't ever walk around with a gun! I keep mine away until I hear growls. Theres also a higher chance of sprain when carrying something. I remember a famous saying "Shoot when you see the whites of their eyes" and I try to time my shot when the animal is closest. More accuracy and a higher critical hit chance. Can't afford to waste any bullets in the apocalypse haha. I've one shotted several bears just a heartbeat before I would've been mauled. However in practicing I've also been mauled by several bears a heartbeat before I could get a shot off.

Edited by Timmytwothumbs
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, Guest Marcurios said:

Could help alleviate inavertendly firing the revolver and spilling precious ammo..
Cause having to put away the revolver isn't very defense friendly.

Maybe give us the option in Key Bindings settings.

You can change the key bindings to whatever you prefer. The biggest issue is they have the 'interact' and 'shoot' combined. Every other game I play I use 'E' as the interact button, with the LMB for shooting/bow drawing. I've tried changing that key to E, but it becomes incredibly awkward for shooting. Why they combined the two is beyond be, and one of my biggest issues since I automatically go for that 'E' to open doors, pick things up, etc. After thousands of hours I still sit here muttering wtfs because I hit the E and get a 'can't sprint' graphic. Grrrr.

51 minutes ago, loriaw said:

The biggest issue is they have the 'interact' and 'shoot' combined

It's not really an issue... it was a design choice.  It just doesn't fit your particular preference.

Another option that might useful for you might be to "double bind" that function.   You can do it by using third party key mapping software (i.e. my old Logitech keyboard allows for that, so I know it's possible).

• Upvote 2

Okay... I wasn't talking about or implying any of those things.  Aside from that I was trying to offer you a solution to help you with your complaint, so I'm not sure where most of this is coming from.  Allow me to address each part of this, because you have a lot going on here:

35 minutes ago, loriaw said:

games that all use a different (but the same) key binding.

You'll have to excuse me, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense... how can they be "different but the same?"  I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely not sure of what you trying to say here.

Particularly combining interaction (opening, grabbing, moving) with shooting was a bad choice from the start.

This is an opinion.  It's unfortunate that it doesn't suit you, but that doesn't make it bad. 

but the unintended actions are proof that it was not the best choice by far

Everything that is in a video has to be programed... so none of it is unintentional.  They didn't accidently make a video game...
Again, just because it doesn't suit your tastes doesn't mean it was a bad choice.

The two actions need to be separated, and that can't be done with software

I told you how you could achieve the same effect.  My apologies for trying to be sympathetic to your plight and trying to help you.  It won't happen again.

Whether the LMB is for shooting or attacking, it should never have been linked to what amounts to just about every other activity. 

Again this is an opinion... not a fact.

I don't have an issue misfiring a weapon at all in TLD ~ never have and likely never will.

I never said or implied you had this issue.

I wish you the best of luck.  I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day. :) 

[Addendum]
I see you came back to add more to your post... no thank you, at this point you and I are done with this conversation.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, loriaw said:

I know of absolutely no way to rescript the game to separate the 'interact' from the 'shoot' which are both bound by default to the LMB. Changing it to the 'E' (which is the standard interact button across the board and across platforms) does change the 'interact', but it also includes the 'shoot'. Every other platform/game uses one key to interact and a different key to shoot. This is the only game I've ever encountered that combined them. Does that clear that up?

Different games, but the same key ~ 'E'.

My opinion was formed by years of playing other games that consistently used the 'E' for interaction. WSAD is the standard for movement. E for interaction. Space for jumping. LMB/RMB for combat. I'm still scratching my head wondering why we don't pick the wolf or the bear up while mashing that LMB ~ which may explain the dedicated cut scene instead of actual combat. It isn't just my 'tastes'. It is the consistent application across various engines and other games. The unity forums say the same thing I just have tried to explain. 

You told me to use a third party key mapping  software. I know how to change the key bindings. What I can. not. do. is. rewrite. the. game. code. to ~ separate ~ the two functions that are multibound to the LMB. I can't explain it any more clearly. There was one other game (don't remember which one, but I stumbled into a forum while trying to solve this several years ago that multibound 'down/crouch' with blocking. It's common sense to use two different keys for two different actions.

Just because you are content with muddled keys doesn't mean everyone has to be, and that is how you tend to word things. It's all good with you so you have no idea why anyone else has a problem, or why they would dare say something about it. Given that Unity itself recommends 'E' for interaction, and that every other game engine also does, my "opinion" is not a lonely one. It is the standard. 

The suggestion was appreciated, but not at all applicable. Open the game, go to settings, check the key bindings.  So, I welcome anyone to point me to software that would allow me to use the 'E' key to interact and use the LMB to shoot. 

My edit was to address the OP. Others brought up the torch issue that some people had in earlier releases of the game. It all comes down to the same thing. The LMB is linked to wildly differing actions and there are unintended consequences. Aside from that, interaction on LMB quadruples the number of times that mouse button has to be clicked. I'm using a Razer Blackwidow … I've got lots of keys to use but this game says no-no. Hope that clears it up for you.

Not -

14 minutes ago, loriaw said:

Every other platform/game uses one key to interact and a different key to shoot.

Or WASD to move. There are many point & click games that do not, and most aRPGs do not. One of my favorites- Grim Dawn, a relatively popular hack & slash aRPG by another independent game studio, uses "LMB click to move" (or the controller equivalent).  Click to pick up items. Some autolooting has been added in a recent update, but only for socketable components, and mana & health potions. LMB and RMB for targeting and swinging/firing weapons or casting spells, along with hotkeys for spellcasting.  Click, Click, Click. Most aRPG's and many RPG's are the same.

You may be used to games that use [E] to inteact, but that does not mean 

22 minutes ago, loriaw said:

Every other platform/game uses one key to interact and a different key to shoot.

I have RA, OA and tendinitis issues. If a game becomes too painful for me to play, I stop playing it. Devs cannot make every game accessible for every person, or cater to every singular subjective desire for features or mechanics, given by a million+ different players. There are third party key remapping programs, and voice control programs that have made both Grim Dawn and TLD and a number of other games more accessible and "hand-issue-friendly" for me. I don't expect devs to add these programs to their games as a toggle-able option. Limited number of people that will find them useful, with a great number of manhours needed to incorporate them effectively into a game this far into development. 

Your needs and wishes are yours. They are not everyone's. Not every game is going to be a good fit for you. Perhaps you should take a break from TLD, and play a game that you enjoy more, and have less issues with. Just my opinion, but you have made complaints, over and over and over... you repeat them regularly. I know seeing these posts annoys and bores me, and I am sure it does the same for others. Saying the same things over and over and over, after other players, and likely the devs as well, have read the same thing from you dozens of times, does not increase the likelihood of your individual requests being fulfilled. It does result in many people just getting tired of seeing the same thing posted, over and over and over, myself and my family included. I can't help but think that it may have the same effect on the devs who see them over and over and over. But They are not as free to tell you so, because #OutrageCulture. 

Simple solutions have already been posted here... the easiest one being- don't run around with a weapon equipped at all times, rifle, revolver, flare gun, ect. Equip it as needed using the hotkey, or controller button. Re-holster it when you don't need to shoot at things, or before you interact with something. Then re-equip, if needed or wanted. Or do like I did, when I had one arm in a sling due to a torn rotator cuff, and use voice control/command SW to enable you to play the game *almost* hands-free. It works/worked nicely. And only cost me a little time setting the SW up with all of the needed keybindings. There are free and paid key mapping and voice control programs out there, and at least Windows has a decent Accessibility voice command program, that with a little additional scripting, works surprisingly well too. But it's up to you to take a little time and find the SW, and set it up. 

• Like 1

Please be polite when someone responds to your or makes a suggestion trying to help you. 

Also remember that for the most part these are opinions and people are allowed to have different ones. 

Everyone can feel how they want to about The Long Dark and have different views. 

That is what makes these discussions interesting. 

5 hours ago, Admin said:

Please be polite when someone responds to your or makes a suggestion trying to help you. 

Also remember that for the most part these are opinions and people are allowed to have different ones. 

Everyone can feel how they want to about The Long Dark and have different views. 

I wasn't trying to be rude, simply trying to explain that the suggestion didn't actually address what I said. 

If different opinions are allowed, please explain why mine isn't.

As for how I feel about the game, I have 2400 hours invested in it. No one puts that amount of time into a game they don't love and enjoy. I've generally put time, effort, and care into both suggestions and "complaints".  I apologize for getting frustrated, and if you have a suggestion to separate the interact and shoot I'm all ears. You set it up that way and no one else has mentioned any solution that is viable. 

16 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Not -

Or WASD to move. There are many point & click games that do not, and most aRPGs do not. One of my favorites- Grim Dawn, a relatively popular hack & slash aRPG by another independent game studio, uses "LMB click to move" (or the controller equivalent).  Click to pick up items. Some autolooting has been added in a recent update, but only for socketable components, and mana & health potions. LMB and RMB for targeting and swinging/firing weapons or casting spells, along with hotkeys for spellcasting.  Click, Click, Click. Most aRPG's and many RPG's are the same.

You may be used to games that use [E] to inteact, but that does not mean 

I have RA, OA and tendinitis issues. If a game becomes too painful for me to play, I stop playing it. Devs cannot make every game accessible for every person, or cater to every singular subjective desire for features or mechanics, given by a million+ different players. There are third party key remapping programs, and voice control programs that have made both Grim Dawn and TLD and a number of other games more accessible and "hand-issue-friendly" for me. I don't expect devs to add these programs to their games as a toggle-able option. Limited number of people that will find them useful, with a great number of manhours needed to incorporate them effectively into a game this far into development. 

Your needs and wishes are yours. They are not everyone's. Not every game is going to be a good fit for you. Perhaps you should take a break from TLD, and play a game that you enjoy more, and have less issues with. Just my opinion, but you have made complaints, over and over and over... you repeat them regularly. I know seeing these posts annoys and bores me, and I am sure it does the same for others. Saying the same things over and over and over, after other players, and likely the devs as well, have read the same thing from you dozens of times, does not increase the likelihood of your individual requests being fulfilled. It does result in many people just getting tired of seeing the same thing posted, over and over and over, myself and my family included. I can't help but think that it may have the same effect on the devs who see them over and over and over. But They are not as free to tell you so, because #OutrageCulture. 

Simple solutions have already been posted here... the easiest one being- don't run around with a weapon equipped at all times, rifle, revolver, flare gun, ect. Equip it as needed using the hotkey, or controller button. Re-holster it when you don't need to shoot at things, or before you interact with something. Then re-equip, if needed or wanted. Or do like I did, when I had one arm in a sling due to a torn rotator cuff, and use voice control/command SW to enable you to play the game *almost* hands-free. It works/worked nicely. And only cost me a little time setting the SW up with all of the needed keybindings. There are free and paid key mapping and voice control programs out there, and at least Windows has a decent Accessibility voice command program, that with a little additional scripting, works surprisingly well too. But it's up to you to take a little time and find the SW, and set it up. 

I'm not understanding the problem.  I think it's fine at least on the consoles.  Equipping a weapon out is a matter of pressing right on the D-pad.  If the weapon is equipped, shooting is done by pulling the right trigger (scoping or drawing is donw with the left button) and picking up items is done by holding (or tapping) A.  I think I've only misfired the pistol a couple of times... usually due to a IRL distraction in the room that has caused me to press the RT unintentionally.

15 hours ago, loriaw said:
21 hours ago, Admin said:

I wasn't trying to be rude, simply trying to explain that the suggestion didn't actually address what I said. 

If different opinions are allowed, please explain why mine isn't.

As for how I feel about the game, I have 2400 hours invested in it. No one puts that amount of time into a game they don't love and enjoy. I've generally put time, effort, and care into both suggestions and "complaints".  I apologize for getting frustrated, and if you have a suggestion to separate the interact and shoot I'm all ears. You set it up that way and no one else has mentioned any solution that is viable. 

So. No solution. I'm called out for being rude because I don't thank someone for misunderstanding and offering a solution that does squat ~ and snarking back when I'm snarked at because they didn't understand/care. Shrugs.

I'll keep my opinions, and my suggestions, off this forum. Heaven forbid I disturb anyone's peace and stagnation any further.

Making the discussions one sided is not interesting; and certainly not inviting or inclusive. Can't say that I'm likely to be back … there are other forums where people put syrup on their pancakes instead of vinegar. 🙃 

It’s not about making discussions one sided or not it’s about everyone in a discussion having a level of respect for the views of everyone else in the discussion. We’d love it if you stayed, diversity of opinions and having people make requests and arguments for what they feel are improvements in the game is valuable. 

But again it has to be done with everyone respecting the other points of view and keeping the discussions polite and congenial. 

• Like 2