Medic Skill

Deadly Shadow

I think a medical skill would be a great addition to the game, as treating wounds and illnesses is a key part of survival in the wild, yet its not a skill on the list, perks such as only needing 1 painkiller to treat injury's instead of 2. (useful especially on modes like Stalker and Interloper where your resources come down to every little thing.) Does Anyone else think this should be one of the listed skills?

• Upvote 10

This has the potential to be another vigilant flame, where it improves the game overall, but a small but vocal minority hoot and holler to no end about how it breaks the game.  Frankly, I'd be all for it, especially if we get some additional choices like the option to cauterize a bleeding wound with a lit flare or torch, which instantly resolves both the infection risk and blood loss, in exchange for a Burns affliction that has to be healed separately.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

This has the potential to be another vigilant flame, where it improves the game overall, but a small but vocal minority hoot and holler to no end about how it breaks the game.  Frankly, I'd be all for it, especially if we get some additional choices like the option to cauterize a bleeding wound with a lit flare or torch, which instantly resolves both the infection risk and blood loss, in exchange for a Burns affliction that has to be healed separately.

I agree.

Hopefully, though, we don't see people trying to grind injuries in order to get the skill up.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I agree.

Hopefully, though, we don't see people trying to grind injuries in order to get the skill up.

It could serve to convert some of the Sprain System "haters" though... if sprains suddenly were "helpful" in a more noticeable way.  (#MakeSprainsGreatAgain) ;)

Joking aside, i could *probably* get behind this, if it were part of an overall Wellbeing system, that included Mental and Physical health. Using soap to wash hands or take a "basin" bath, raining skill points, for example. Or a single point given with appropriate use of medical supplies, but not 10 points per dose.  By itself, I am not sure it would work well. Even if it were a skill like Mending, or Repairing, that was not tracked in the Journal, but gave points and a small buff to first aid with each 10 or 20 skill points. Faster healing from negative afflictions, but nothing ridiculously OP. (As in- it will not ever give a buff that lets you heal Parasites or Broken Ribs instantly, but may shave a few hours off, with a max of 1 day total shaved off at 100 skill points. Foo Poisoning requires only 8 hours of rest, sprains heal in 30-60 minutes less, ect. Small buff, that would not reduce the afflictions to irrelevancy, but would make them less "burdensome" or difficult to deal with. As part of a large system I think I can get behind it, but as a solo skill, not so much. 

Yes, I thought of it as something that would reduce the needs of injury’s (like the 1 painkiller instead of 2 example) and not being able to instantly heal them, but I don’t think grinding injury’s would work as it would pose such a risk to the players condition that they would die before even making it worthwhile, but like over time when you take the risk going over that steep hill and then sprain your ankle, little things like that would be more efficient and effective then just nearly killing yourselves to pop painkillers and get wrapped in bandages.

@Deadly Shadow,
It considering the current mechanics in place, I don't think there is much need for an overhaul.  The mechanics are simple and work fine.  A character's medical knowledge would not reasonably impact the ability of antibiotics to fight infection, or change the body's physical healing time.  Don't get me wrong, the idea of expanding the skill tree does have merit, I just don't think this particular aspect would benefit from it.  The only reasonable way I could see implementing something like this would be to lock certain medical treatments to higher skill levels, suggesting they would require more knowledge and training to have access to them (which I would not enjoy considering how vitally important it is to be able to treat injury and illness in this game).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

The only reasonable way I could see implementing something like this would be to lock certain medical treatments to higher skill levels, suggesting they would require more knowledge and training to have access to them (which I would not enjoy considering how vitally important it is to be able to treat injury and illness in this game).

I see your point, I think your right in the fact that an overhaul with these mechanics put in place would act a leveling wall (like how the bow skill requires level 5 to crouch and shoot) and with something as key to survival as your health I guess its something that shouldn't be blocked by level walls, but if they wanted realistic-ness over fun gameplay I believe that's how they would handle because in real life, some people have better knowledge of medicine then others and some wouldn't know how treat intestinal parasites. but I see it would be stupid (for lack of a better word) to make it have to be a leveling thing. I just believed that as medicine for treating illness and injury would be a good skill to have in the wild, but I see it would cause problems for the fun of the game. you really brought up a good point @ManicManiac

I like this idea  I think this could work if it only affected time to heal. That way you could heal yourself from the beginning but recovery will be longer until your skill levels up. Maybe higher skill could allow you to heal yourself in different ways too. I could totally see a book like 25 hours long on treating wounds or something. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, Jimmy said:

Perhaps introduce failure risk with treatment too?

Hey, sometimes antibiotics don't work.

This. A simple trade-off. And some wounds might need an extra bandage or two instead of the usual single application. For example with blood loss: usually it only takes a single bandage but with a lower medical skill it might need at least two. Since the formula for failure with cooking or fire starting are sort of the same in that the lower the skill, the higher chance to fail.

or

On 8/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, Timmytwothumbs said:

I like this idea  I think this could work if it only affected time to heal. That way you could heal yourself from the beginning but recovery will be longer until your skill levels up. Maybe higher skill could allow you to heal yourself in different ways too. I could totally see a book like 25 hours long on treating wounds or something. 

this too ^

• 1 year later...

I Agree on that. there is so many injuries that i feel like it would need more medicine or more time to take care of. when you get bit my a wolf you dont just apply a bandage a bit of antiseptic and pawaaw everything is fine. maybe a medical sewing kit and mechanic could be implemented? you have to sew yourself depending on the gravity of the injury and after that applying antiseptic and then bandage. it would be nice too to have recovery time needed when bitten. like 12 hours or so. you can still walk run and live your life but as long as you didnt slept you do not gain health back. Also, we can apply antiseptic after the bandage wich i find not realistic at all.everything should be done in the correct order for you wound to have less recovery time needed.