Fire Buckets

MrsHoneypot

The cabins around ML and CH have no fire barrels or bbq areas. But they do have metal buckets spawning around the place.

I have an idea that would allow a player to have a fire indoors using these metal buckets. The fire would be small, only using sticks, and the bucket would be unusable (charred or melted) afterward, but it would heat the space a little bit if there`s a storm outside and you could dry any clothes that got wet. There could be a danger of the room filling with smoke though, so keep the fire small, a max of say 10 sticks. The bucket isn´t large enough for proper cooking, but maybe if you had a prepared cup of tea or coffee on you, you could warm it beside the bucket. 

What do you think?

Well, now we know who those random corpses were in the cabins. Nice chatting with you folks. ;)

But seriously even if the smoke doesn't get you, carbon monoxide is a silent killer.  Even if you're trying to be careful, you'd fill the room with smoke LONG before your fire has any appreciable effect on the temperature.  You need clean-burning fuel for that.  Something like propane in a space heater rated for indoor use, or hexamine fuel tablets, can of Sterno, denatured alcohol, that sort of thing. Without a chimney (or at least a hole in the roof) to vent smoke, wood fires indoors are literally suicide.  If you don't kill yourself from the smoke, you'll probably end up losing control of the fire and burning the structure down.  Even something that burns relatively cleanly when well oxygenated like charcoal still produces carbon monoxide.  And it doesn't take much of that to do you in.

The fire barrels in the Quonset garage and Orca station make no sense to me for this reason.  Quonset garage maybe if the windows near the ceiling were busted out, allowing the smoke to escape.  But the Orca station..heck no.  Not without modifying the place..busting a window out, opening the front and back doors...but I'm probably reading too much into that one.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

Thank you for the info ajb.

I honestly didn´t think about carbon monoxide.

I´m not an expert in anything, i just thought it would be an interesting game mechanic.

Hmm, there seems to be a theme of 3 cabins or trailers throughout the game. Maybe one of the 3 could have that busted out window you mentioned. Then you have a choice, stay in a place that´s completely weathertight, or spend the night in a place you can have a one shot fire and the possibility of a warm drink before resting.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately carbon monoxide earns its name as a silent killer for more than one reason...besides literally killing silently, it often is an afterthought for most folks.  I live far enough up north that it's a good idea to have a backup heating system if you have electric heat, and this last winter during one cold snap, the power went out for a few hours.  Some guy tried using a charcoal grill indoors to heat his place, and by some stroke of luck his wife or girlfriend or whatever came home in time and found him passed out and was able to call 911.  He lived, but if she hadn't come home when she did, that story likely would have had a different outcome.

I personally have an indoor-safe propane heater, and a carbon monoxide detector as a backup :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2