Died in bed from being too tired...

OuttaSite

Man that sucked!

I jumped back into the quiet apocalypse a week or so ago after a long time away and it feels so good to get going on the sandbox again! I started a Stalker run on TWM and managed to make my way down to Crystal Lake cabin after a fair few near misses with Hypothermia. I spent a bit too long crafting/farting around at the fire and although I was well fed & hydrated my tiredness was completely depleted. I was stumbling all over the place with the blurry vision etc (never been that bad before).

Nevertheless I jumped into bed after drinking a herbal tea, selected eight hours and I'm pretty sure my character said something like 'don't think I'll pull through this time'.

Then I died in my sleep...?

I have no clue what from exactly as it just says the standard 'you faded into the long dark'.

@OuttaSite
Yeah this game is rough if we're not paying close attention to what we're doing or the situation that were in, but honestly the brutal unforgiving nature of the game is what I love most about it.  Yes, it always hurts to have a good run cut short, but in the long run we get better as players.  I recently had a great run going (set to be my longest stretch), but I got over enthusiastic about mapping each region before I moved on to another.  While mapping Desolation Point, I was trying to clear off some very stubborn smudges on my map... took a wrong step and ended up wedged between a rock and a tree trunk.  I spent the next three game days trying to wiggle my way to freedom, but I just ended up re-enacting the movie 127 hours.  :D 

Starvation, dehydration, and exhaustion all worked together to do me in and I lost all my mapping progress (and a ton of really great supplies).  While it was some hard medicine to take, (like most deaths in The Long Dark) it all stemmed from just one bad decision.  Hang in there, we all experience tragic death in this wonderful game.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@OuttaSite
Yeah this game is rough if we're not paying close attention to what we're doing or the situation that were in, but honestly the brutal unforgiving nature of the game is what I love most about it.  Yes, it always hurts to have a good run cut short, but in the long run we get better as players.  I recently had a great run going (set to be my longest stretch), but I got over enthusiastic about mapping each region before I moved on to another.  While mapping Desolation Point, I was trying to clear off some very stubborn smudges on my map... took a wrong step and ended up wedged between a rock and a tree trunk.  I spent the next three game days trying to wiggle my way to freedom, but I just ended up re-enacting the movie 127 hours.  :D 

Starvation, dehydration, and exhaustion all worked together to do me in and I lost all my mapping progress (and a ton of really great supplies).  While it was some hard medicine to take, (like most deaths in The Long Dark) it all stemmed from just one bad decision.  Hang in there, we all experience tragic death in this wonderful game.  :) 

Yeah I know it's unforgiving, it's what I love about it too, I just I wish I knew what did me in as it feels like such a waste ha!

Getting stuck must have been effing frutrating though..

45 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Yep, that would definitely suck big time.  I'm sorry for your loss.  As for cause, perhaps your fire went out and the weather got colder in the night.

I thought too but then I figured I'd always be warm enough (even if only just) whilst in bed in the cabin. Perhaps not...

21 minutes ago, OuttaSite said:

I just I wish I knew what did me in as it feels like such a waste ha!
Getting stuck must have been effing frutrating though..

Well, considering your condition was so low... the most likely candidate is what @UpUpAway95 mentioned.  It probably got just colder than you anticipated while you slept.  After all the mountaineer's hut, while warmer than the outside, is still influenced by the outdoor temperature... so if you did lose your fire as you slept, it's not unlikely that the cold killed you swiftly.

Yes, getting stuck in the terrain was a very frustrating way to go (and probably the most embarrassing)...  Admittedly, I took a break and started a survival run on another game where I was stranded in a tropical island archipelago (just as a change of pace)  :D  But I've now started a fresh run on Timberwolf Mountain and trying it all over again (this region is decidedly more difficult when I don't have the benefit of all the warm clothing I had the last time around. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

9 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

But I've now started a fresh run on Timberwolf Mountain and trying it all over again (this region is decidedly more difficult when I don't have the benefit of all the warm clothing I had the last time around. :D 

This is exactly why I started there and will do on my new run. It feels appropriate to have that level of harshness as a starting off point.

In regard to my last run - I hadn't thought about my condition itself being so low when I died previously. It obviously would've taken a real  knock from the horrendous fatigue I was suffering from and yes, the deathly grasp of the cold would've made light work of me - such a stupid way to go after all that I'd gone through ha!

I was tempted to do another challenge (I've only ever done Hopeless Rescue well over a year ago) but I'll jump into the sandbox again. I've not long finished chapter two of Wintermute and I was clamouring for some 'freedom' afterwards.

Most likely you froze in your sleep.

Never sleep in the Mountaineer's hut for more than 4-5 hours at 100 percent condition, and never more than 2 hours at a time if below 50 percent. Just getting enough firewood to sleep is a real challenge there. 

Sometimes even a fire isn't warm enough in stalker mode. 

Theres a big hole in the roof that you cant patch up.

Edited by MarrowStone
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OuttaSite said:

Ah. I didn't stand a blinking chance then...

Thanks @MarrowStone

You always have a chance, this game is just great at that.

Mountaineers is livable, but going there with better clothes is highly recommended. Some fires can be warm enough but they require a huge amount of firewood to maintain and be high enough temperatures. Firsthand I've been trapped in a loop of "gather firewood, dont freeze, repeat" there.

If you have a hacksaw, storm up the mountain as soon as you can, or come back with better clothes. Or live in a loading screen cave until you craft some clothes.

Edited by MarrowStone
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

You always have a chance, this game is just great at that. 

I meant with my particular situation and going to bed the way I did. It was just a throwaway comment..

That said, I've realised that the super warm fires can do a good job of warming you outside, at times. I've also only just started breaking rabbits necks and the like as I never really had the need to do it previously. It's a tough place to start - TWM, but it's a great crash-course in learning some new emergency stuff!

I did so well on my first run before I copped it in the cabin and now I'm struggling to even get down that low again after another two runs ha! In the last one, I crossed the fallen tree over the crevass and walked off onto a slightly lower part of the ridge. It was a such a gradient that I couldn't quite walk the half meter back up to it even though it seems like you could. That was was mildly frustrating... but lets go again.

I'm doing a lot of campfire scumming to make progress. Make fire, get torch, prepare rosehip tea, drink tea, F.O with fingers crossed, pickup twigs like a madman, drop rabbit for wolf....

EDIT: Ah...finally :)

Screenshot (541).png

Edited by OuttaSite

@OuttaSite, When you get better clothes you could also try sleeping only with a fire after sleeping three hours without one. The early hours of the night arent as cold and it saves three hours of nightime firewood. This reduces firewood consumption at night by a third but is pretty risky. 

Edited by MarrowStone
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The mountaineer's cabin has a +10 C (at least in Pilgrim) interior temp over outside ambient air temp. Of course, there is no windchill inside.  So it can still get pretty cold inside the cabin based on ambient temp but given you were in the cabin, had a fire in the fireplace which the most violent blizzard could not blow out, was fed, hydrated, and not suffering from an affliction that could cost condition (such as food poisoning), your demise seems inconsistent with normal game play.

If you were stumbling around, then your condition was likely like 5% or less. While you can die from condition loss due to exhaustion especially in extremis, if you went to sleep that pretty much puts an end to exhaustion and that condition loss. One way that you could have died from exhaustion, in this circumstance, would be if you inadvertently selected or carried out pass time instead of sleep. With pass time, you'd not be resting so would continue to be exhausted and lose condition that way, about 1% per hour, until your condition reached 0 and you 'faded into the long dark'. 

Don't know what killed you, but this would be one possible way it could happen, given the stated circumstances. 

Edited by UTC-10
  • Like 2