too high to see

solide

Long dark often surprises me when I find items on unexpected places. I have for instance found items in boxes and crates I demolished. I have also found items in drawers that were already open (no option "search") in a filing cabinet containing more drawers.

However, I can not look in all boxes and crates high up on a shelf. Or in open or closed boxes on top of a locker. In fact, I can not even look in the open top drawer in a filing cabinet (and I can not jump).

So I wonder if I am missing out on some hiding places? I could theoretically get to items hidden there if I would destroy the whole iron cabinet (cut up with saw) or destroy every box and crate on a high shelf I can not look into. But is it worth it? Has anyone done this and found items on these high places? 

image.png

• Like 1

If it's an area you simply cannot get to or look in, such as the top drawer of a filing cabinet, then there isn't anything stored in there.  They are rather devious with their hiding spots for some items, but they don't sadistically place items in unreachable locations.  There's always a way.  (With the exception of beachcombing items spawning below the terrain and being forever unobtainable...that's not intentional though, and I don't know if that's even still a thing.)

On the other hand, sometimes it is necessary to break down objects in order to loot certain containers.  Hibernia is a good example, where there's a backpack that you can only get to if you bust up a wall of crates.  Occasionally if you break open a crate, you will find some items on the ground.  (They aren't "in" the crate, they're on the ground underneath the crate, but since you can't get the items until the crate is gone the effect is the same.)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, solide said:

Reminds me, what about those cardboard boxes that are folded and next to the wall or on the ground? Has anyone ever found anything concealed behind those? And I suppose the same goes for pallets to the wall?

image.png.c6d11c59fad98a30587765001a6d3c14.png

I have vague memories of breaking down cardboard boxes and finding unexpected loot behind them, but I can't say for certain that it was the flattened boxes on the walls. It feels really familiar though.

5 hours ago, Swales said:

I have vague memories of breaking down cardboard boxes and finding unexpected loot behind them, but I can't say for certain that it was the flattened boxes on the walls. It feels really familiar though.

Not found behind one of those flattened cardboard boxes against a wall, but on a recent Survival Mode save in DP, I found a soda and a flashlight hiding behind a cardboard box on the ground, in a corner, one I usually ignored in the past. Not sure why I chose to harvest it this time, perhaps because it was early in the run, I had no lantern, not too many matches, no torch made yet, only one flare. And I needed something to do until the sun came up enough (since I could not sleep any longer, and don't often use Pass Time), and it was there. Really dark image, since I had no light, but, it was a nice surprise, and very sneaky.  ;)20190727235851_1.thumb.jpg.03ca22302f3b8658a1eaf6e4da398b67.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Not found behind one of those flattened cardboard boxes against a wall, but on a recent Survival Mode save in DP, I found a soda and a flashlight hiding behind a cardboard box on the ground, in a corner, one I usually ignored in the past. 

I've found a handful of interesting things squirreled away on my recent "destroy everything" game.  99.9% of the crates out there don't harbor any secrets, but that is a non-zero statistic.  I had a couple fun surprises, like the MRE inside the crate in the Maintenance Shed, if you walk up those two ramps of planks towards the front of the shed (front being the opposite side of the building as the bed.)  Edit: I seem to recall a box hiding peaches in the Orca station as well.

But yeah I would say if your sole purpose behind breaking down crates and boxes is to find hidden loot, that should be a pastime only.  It's just not worth the time and calories if you're doing it for survival.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

Oh, also check the pickup truck beds. I've found things like tool boxes, cloth,  etc hidden under the snow. If the reticle dot appears, that's a sign something is there. Try "feeling around" with it, and you might find one or more items in there. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 11:15 AM, ajb1978 said:

Oh, also check the pickup truck beds. I've found things like tool boxes, cloth,  etc hidden under the snow. If the reticle dot appears, that's a sign something is there. Try "feeling around" with it, and you might find one or more items in there. 

I wonder if this is a semi-glitch due to the recent update - the truck beds used to be devoid of snow, and I would occasionally find items inside them. Since they were filled with snow in the update, I assumed that the items just stopped spawning in the beds, since I could only see the snow. Good to know they're still spawning. Thanks for the heads up!

There are definitely some sneaky hiding spots! I once found a rifle tucked way back under the bed in the master bedroom in the Pleasant Valley farmhouse. I checked under the bed during my first sweep, but something caught my eye on a later trip many, many game days after that.

My suggestion is to be super thorough on your first run, and to do secondary sweeps periodically even when you think you've found everything. My experience is that if you absolutely can't access an area, like it's too high up to reach, or a drawer doesn't open, there won't be anything spawning there. But there are occasionally areas that require creative thinking - there's a hidden backpack in Hibernia Processing in DP comes to mind.

That said, your cursor *can* often reach farther than you think. I once found a pair of wool long johns trapped behind a cage of old bed frames at the Forest Talkers' cabin in Broken Railroad. It was so far back that it was almost impossible to reach, but I finally figured out the perfect spot where I could reach it while crouched. Some things just take some extra maneuvering. 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:17 AM, Deadly Shadow said:

on the second flight of stairs in the DP lighthouse, behind some the boxes (only able to see by breaking them or going on the stairs and looking through) I found a jerry can, I was really surprised to find it there and always check there from now on

Just found it there on Interloper. 2.5L of fuel. You can easily see it when crouching and looking through the pallet. But so easy to miss. Never checked there before