Exploitable head and handwraps

Guest Marcurios

Guest Marcurios

The worn cloth head and handwraps go down in condition so fast, that they can be classified as game exploits for getting better mending skills fast.
Would probably be best to make them more durable, since they only actually protect against frostbite pretty much.

Edited by Marcurios
typos

@Marcurios
I think it's more they were designed to be a makeshift way to prevent frostbite in an emergency... so them wearing out quickly makes sense to me.  If you waste so much cloth mending them instead of making or finding better hats/gloves, then you will likely have a cloth shortage later on (I say this because you need to do quite a bit of mending to make a meaningful impact to that skill).  So considering those trade offs... I just don't see where or why you consider it an exploit.

Making them more durable, would make other clothing item less ideal... so in my mind that's bad. 

Guest Marcurios

true, i hadn't considered that yet, although i did notice my cloth went faster now..
but in the end i'm mostly walking around in animal hides, cause they keep spawning.

You only need anything to go down 1% in condition before you are able to mend it.  Your bedroll will go down 1% in condition each time you use it.  In short, there are many ways to make tons of repairs if you wish to fast-track your mending skill.

That said, there is really only the one-time achievement (getting all skills to Level 5) where I would be even remotely interesting in getting mending up to that level (and I did it on my 500-day run.  I did have to resort to mending my bedroll after every use to get that skill up within the 500-day mark, but I only did that because I had planned to suicide my PC on precisely the 500th day and I had been a bit too frugal about mending my clothing early on in the game.  This was mostly because I did not realize I could use fishing line to mend and then still use it to fish... so I believed I was short on sewing kits to make frequent mends).

The things your mending skill affect are not applicable to anything outside of mending itself.  It increases your probability of success rate when mending and it slows the rate at which your clothing items and your bedroll degrade.  So, after you get the achievement, it's really quite pointless to use an exploit to get mending skill up in any subsequent playthrough.

Edited by UpUpAway95