piddy3825

Where's the coal?

Recommended Posts

Decided to launch a new game this time randomly spawning in the Broken Railway area.  I was able to gather (find) about 11 pieces of coal total and most of that was already on site scattered around the maintenance yard and after checking each cave as well.  None of the caves had any coal in them and even after 45 days in the area have not found any new coal sources.  Is there anywhere in this area that coal is supposed to spawn?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None that I can recall. 

Forlorn Muskeg seems to be the closest source of appreciable amounts of coal. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

None that I can recall. 

Forlorn Muskeg seems to be the closest source of appreciable amounts of coal. 

Ironic, isnt it?  Got a forge here at the maintenance yard and you end up having to travel to the next map section to gather coal that is nearby an existing forge...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

None of the caves had any coal in them and even after 45 days in the area have not found any new coal sources.

I recently started a game in BR and had the same problem. I am on day 28 and still haven't found coal in BR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, XaldinVii said:

I recently started a game in BR and had the same problem. I am on day 28 and still haven't found coal in BR. 

well, there is enough coal laying around the yard and there may be a few chunks up at the hunting lodge.  i found a sufficient amount to get the forge up over 150 degrees so it was usable, but there's only enough for one crafting session... If you can gather up enough fuel to keep the fire going while you sleep, you may be able to craft non stop for a few days.  the fire does "cool" down so you could drop below 150 depending on how long you keep it burning.  I would suggest that you lay in a huge supply of firewood and get all your metal scrap ready as well as cloth.  lay in a good supply of food and water, take a few breaks and go outside, but you can keep that fire going for days on end.   happy crafting!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

well, there is enough coal laying around the yard and there may be a few chunks up at the hunting lodge.  i found a sufficient amount to get the forge up over 150 degrees so it was usable, but there's only enough for one crafting session... If you can gather up enough fuel to keep the fire going while you sleep, you may be able to craft non stop for a few days.  the fire does "cool" down so you could drop below 150 depending on how long you keep it burning.  I would suggest that you lay in a huge supply of firewood and get all your metal scrap ready as well as cloth.  lay in a good supply of food and water, take a few breaks and go outside, but you can keep that fire going for days on end.   happy crafting!

If you use reclaimed wood to get the fire to the highest temperature it can go with wood and then carefully add your coal, you fire will get to 150C using only 4 pieces of coal.  After you get it to temperature, you don't need to add more coal to keep it there, just keep adding wood to extend the duration.  That way, I usually get 3 forging sessions out of the coal I find in broken railroad (12 or 13 pieces).  With the 11 pieces you found, you should get two sessions.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh yeah sorry @piddy3825 I misspoke. Yes I found all the coal in the garage, I meant to say I didn't find any in the caves in BR for 28d I had been playing. I was able to get a forging session going for a day or so to make what I needed with the coal in the garage. I like to use some fir wood to also get the temp up and save on coal as well. Although, I have never been able to get it to 150 with 4 coal that is pretty impressive, @UpUpAway95

Edited by XaldinVii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, XaldinVii said:

Oh yeah sorry @piddy3825 I misspoke. Yes I found all the coal in the garage, I meant to say I didn't find any in the caves in BR for 28d I had been playing. I was able to get a forging session going for a day or so to make what I needed with the coal in the garage. I like to use some fir wood to also get the temp up and save on coal as well. Although, I have never been able to get it to 150 with 4 coal that is pretty impressive, @UpUpAway95

Basically, I add the wood one at a time and allow each piece added to raise the temperature as far as it will go before adding the next piece.  Once the fire hits 80C (the maximum wood temperature), the fire is usually too close to it's maximum duration, so I generally go take a nap and let the fire burn for awhile.  The temperature never decreases once raised, so as long as I start adding coal before it burns out, I'm good.  Then, I add each coal piece one at a time and let the temperature climb as far as it will.  Theoretically, you can get it to 150C with only 3 pieces of coal (from 80C to 150C), but I've always wound up adding the fourth piece.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

  The temperature never decreases once raised, so as long as I start adding coal before it burns out, I'm good. 

I've had the temp decrease over time although in my case I did not add my remaining pieces of coal after I brought the forge up to 180 degrees.  In my case, I merely added reclaimed wood and if memory serves, it went down about 10 degrees between each 10-11 hour crafting session or rest period that I gave myself.  Now anytime I leave BR I try to bring back at least 3 lumps of  coal if not more when I had back to Maintenance yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

I've had the temp decrease over time although in my case I did not add my remaining pieces of coal after I brought the forge up to 180 degrees.  In my case, I merely added reclaimed wood and if memory serves, it went down about 10 degrees between each 10-11 hour crafting session or rest period that I gave myself.  Now anytime I leave BR I try to bring back at least 3 lumps of  coal if not more when I had back to Maintenance yard.

I'll keep a closer eye out, but I've honestly never noticed a drop in temperature of any fire in the game until it actually burns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now