Where's the coal?

piddy3825

Decided to launch a new game this time randomly spawning in the Broken Railway area.  I was able to gather (find) about 11 pieces of coal total and most of that was already on site scattered around the maintenance yard and after checking each cave as well.  None of the caves had any coal in them and even after 45 days in the area have not found any new coal sources.  Is there anywhere in this area that coal is supposed to spawn?  

38 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

None that I can recall. 

Forlorn Muskeg seems to be the closest source of appreciable amounts of coal. 

Ironic, isnt it?  Got a forge here at the maintenance yard and you end up having to travel to the next map section to gather coal that is nearby an existing forge...

8 hours ago, XaldinVii said:

I recently started a game in BR and had the same problem. I am on day 28 and still haven't found coal in BR. 

well, there is enough coal laying around the yard and there may be a few chunks up at the hunting lodge.  i found a sufficient amount to get the forge up over 150 degrees so it was usable, but there's only enough for one crafting session... If you can gather up enough fuel to keep the fire going while you sleep, you may be able to craft non stop for a few days.  the fire does "cool" down so you could drop below 150 depending on how long you keep it burning.  I would suggest that you lay in a huge supply of firewood and get all your metal scrap ready as well as cloth.  lay in a good supply of food and water, take a few breaks and go outside, but you can keep that fire going for days on end.   happy crafting!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

well, there is enough coal laying around the yard and there may be a few chunks up at the hunting lodge.  i found a sufficient amount to get the forge up over 150 degrees so it was usable, but there's only enough for one crafting session... If you can gather up enough fuel to keep the fire going while you sleep, you may be able to craft non stop for a few days.  the fire does "cool" down so you could drop below 150 depending on how long you keep it burning.  I would suggest that you lay in a huge supply of firewood and get all your metal scrap ready as well as cloth.  lay in a good supply of food and water, take a few breaks and go outside, but you can keep that fire going for days on end.   happy crafting!

If you use reclaimed wood to get the fire to the highest temperature it can go with wood and then carefully add your coal, you fire will get to 150C using only 4 pieces of coal.  After you get it to temperature, you don't need to add more coal to keep it there, just keep adding wood to extend the duration.  That way, I usually get 3 forging sessions out of the coal I find in broken railroad (12 or 13 pieces).  With the 11 pieces you found, you should get two sessions.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 4

Oh yeah sorry @piddy3825 I misspoke. Yes I found all the coal in the garage, I meant to say I didn't find any in the caves in BR for 28d I had been playing. I was able to get a forging session going for a day or so to make what I needed with the coal in the garage. I like to use some fir wood to also get the temp up and save on coal as well. Although, I have never been able to get it to 150 with 4 coal that is pretty impressive, @UpUpAway95

Edited by XaldinVii

6 hours ago, XaldinVii said:

Oh yeah sorry @piddy3825 I misspoke. Yes I found all the coal in the garage, I meant to say I didn't find any in the caves in BR for 28d I had been playing. I was able to get a forging session going for a day or so to make what I needed with the coal in the garage. I like to use some fir wood to also get the temp up and save on coal as well. Although, I have never been able to get it to 150 with 4 coal that is pretty impressive, @UpUpAway95

Basically, I add the wood one at a time and allow each piece added to raise the temperature as far as it will go before adding the next piece.  Once the fire hits 80C (the maximum wood temperature), the fire is usually too close to it's maximum duration, so I generally go take a nap and let the fire burn for awhile.  The temperature never decreases once raised, so as long as I start adding coal before it burns out, I'm good.  Then, I add each coal piece one at a time and let the temperature climb as far as it will.  Theoretically, you can get it to 150C with only 3 pieces of coal (from 80C to 150C), but I've always wound up adding the fourth piece.

• Upvote 2

On 8/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

The temperature never decreases once raised, so as long as I start adding coal before it burns out, I'm good. 

I've had the temp decrease over time although in my case I did not add my remaining pieces of coal after I brought the forge up to 180 degrees.  In my case, I merely added reclaimed wood and if memory serves, it went down about 10 degrees between each 10-11 hour crafting session or rest period that I gave myself.  Now anytime I leave BR I try to bring back at least 3 lumps of  coal if not more when I had back to Maintenance yard.

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

I've had the temp decrease over time although in my case I did not add my remaining pieces of coal after I brought the forge up to 180 degrees.  In my case, I merely added reclaimed wood and if memory serves, it went down about 10 degrees between each 10-11 hour crafting session or rest period that I gave myself.  Now anytime I leave BR I try to bring back at least 3 lumps of  coal if not more when I had back to Maintenance yard.

I'll keep a closer eye out, but I've honestly never noticed a drop in temperature of any fire in the game until it actually burns out.

• 2 months later...

I have kind of the same problem. I continued my Story Mode savegame (which i still haven't finished in redux) and was at the Forge in BR. Before i got the spear, i wanted to make some nice arrowheads and show the wolves who's the boss here. Yeah, i put nearly all the coal in the forge and noticed that you now need blueprints to do something..... Now i have the spear i need to repair and i seriously doubt that one piece of coal is enough to do so....

Unless Story mode handles it differently, you'd need four pieces if you were extravagant with wood or seven or eight pieces if you weren't.  As far as forge temps go.  Your best bet would be the cave near the toppled signal tower in Forlorn Muskeg. Good luck.

The toppled signal tower and the cave I referred to lies between Broken Railroad tunnel and Old Spence forge.

I was surprised to eventually discover that Forlorn Muskeg had three signal towers. The third one I found was by the Muskeg lookout (I think that was how the location was named) near where the snow shelter had been but which I never got to use. It just decayed away. Sigh.

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

The toppled signal tower and the cave I referred to lies between Broken Railroad tunnel and Old Spence forge.

I was surprised to eventually discover that Forlorn Muskeg had three signal towers. The third one I found was by the Muskeg lookout (I think that was how the location was named) near where the snow shelter had been but which I never got to use. It just decayed away. Sigh.

I'm confused now :D I thought you mean the Cave that lies left of the tracks (when coming from BR), with the signal tower a bit more uphillwards. Where this one wolf ist lurking around 🙄And where (before Redux and maybe now too) you had the hatch with Jeremia's letters

The signal tower you thought I meant is not toppled. That was the original one dating back to Story mode if not earlier (I had not entered FM at that point). I remember seeing "let's play" in Story mode where it existed. 

I do not recall when the toppled signal tower was introduced (or even the other signal tower in the SE corner of FM). If you can see the toppled tower the cave that seems to spawn up to half a dozen coal (how often I do not know, probably every week or two weeks at a guess) is nearby up on the higher ground (same level as the tower) and not at the level of the ice.

Ah okay, i haven't seen a toppled tower in FM before. Seems they changed the region a bit and i haven't been around there for a while. For story mode i just walked on the right side and avoided the bear and the wolves. I just ran through the map in order to reach BR. Haven't seen much from FM at it's current state. Thank you for letting me know, i will keep looking for the toppled one!

Edited by Karl Grylls

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 7:34 AM, JMK said:

Just made a 3 days wood fire and temp decreased indeed.

I’m not sure I follow. 
what do you mean by “3 days wood fire” ?

i thought you can only add wood until the fire burning time reaches 12 hours. Only below 12 hours you can add more fuel. 
Are you saying that after feeding the fire repeatedly over the course of 3 days, the temperature kept dropping steadily ?

I have never seen that behavior.

-t

Edited by turtle777

@turtle777

I ressuplied the fire for 3 days, the game knows the duration of the fire because of the award, on the last one, a fews hours before I let it go, I noticed the temp was not 80° anymore, I think it was something like 74°

But as @romerabr said, I can't remember if I took a few torches out of it before leaving the fire. That is a possibility.

Edited by JMK

• 4 weeks later...