Woolfy

Illness overhaul

Hey there!

I had a cold last week and while curing I played TLD most of the day :)

And then I got this idea: peoples immune system doesn‘t work properly when freezing so what about having a chance to get sick the next day once warmth droped to minimum?(And by sick I mean feever (maybe a blur effect and some major stamina debuffs?) and cough (as a sound effect). 

I think a mixture of antibiotics, much water and constant warmth should cure it within 3 days in best case. The less you do against it the longer it lasts and if you do nothing you have a chance to die.

However, this mechanic should fade away by the time as you play because the body gets used to the harsh conditions and so does the immune system.

Personally I think this would be a nice and realistic extra challenge to deal with and an improvement to the overall survival mode experience.

What do you guys think? 

(And sorry, english is not my native language :/ ) 

Posted (edited)

Personally, I wouldn't want to see them add another illness where the arbitrary solution is to pop antibiotics... perhaps this is something that consuming birch bark teas could cure over 3 days combined with needing more sleep instead.  Alternatively, maybe we could find vitamins to help bolster our immune system or they could add it to the effects of herbal teas.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Personally, I wouldn't want to see them add another illness where the arbitrary solution is to pop antibiotics... perhaps this is something that consuming birch bark teas could cure over 3 days combined with needing more sleep instead.  Alternatively, maybe we could find vitamins to help bolster our immune system or they could add it to the effects of herbal teas.

We could call it a viral infection then, so antibiotics are useless against it. Only thing you can do is to boost your immune system and avoid anything that could strain it. 

Well the details are not that important but I think its a logic thing to add into the game 

• Upvote 2

I've also wondered why the player doesn't get sick from freezing. I wouldn't mind getting a cold or viral infection maybe in game from letting my temperature drop in to the red. If it lowered your stamina, made your rifle shaky, the screen could be clouded also if it didn't allow you to study etc. It could be a new challenge and further increase the importance of warm clothing. Maybe the only recovery is time and rest and you have to consume more water. I thinks it's a good idea. 

Colds aren't caused by being cold, they're caused by being infected with something like rhinovirus. While this virus is quite communicable, it requires contact with people who are carriers.  It's possible to become infected by way of contact with an infected surface, but realistically if there aren't a lot of people around, your odds of contracting a virus are pretty slim.

• Upvote 1