Unstuck mechanism, teleport player a few meters further.

Guest Marcurios

Guest Marcurios

I got stuck in a survival game in Pleasant Valley, when the player walks on sloped terrain and at the same time near a rockwall, and it's a bit of a pit, you cannot get out. After googling this i see hundreds if not more people complaining about this, it would not be to difficult to make a small teleport command for the player to get out of a position like this.
I use Unity myself, i could easily write a piece of script that does this.

So why didn't you adress this already Hinterland ?

Cause i see on steam that you replied to multiple complaints about this with we're updating the map at those points so it can't happen again at that spot, but you are never in a million years going to find all these spots in the terrain where it can happen, and it's a unproductive way to spend your time fixing these spots in the terrain every time someone has to hit F8 for the coordinates, send the screenshot to you and then you brush up the terrain a bit for the next game update, it would be much easier for everyone if there is a nudge button implemented that teleports the player a meter or 2 further on the terrain's collision.

Cause if left like this i'm going to see this happen more often and in the end will probably put off a lot of players to keep playing the game, cause no one wants to lose 100 hours of gameplay on this every time.

Im a long time modder an in my free time i have been working with Unity for years, and i'm pretty sure i could fix stuff like this in a few hours at most.
Writing the scriptbit takes 5 minute, making sure it always works might take a little bit of testing and refinig, but come on, fix this in the next update please.

Make a nudge button.
Push button, player gets teleported 1 meter higher then current position, the randomly 1 meter in any direction for each push of the button.
incase you're worrying about misuse, make it only available outside of combat.

Edited by Marcurios
typos

Rather than a nudge button (people would absolutely abuse it to try and get into "off limits" areas), a key that triggers the "Fell through the ground" failsafe teleport.  Hold this key down for 20 seconds, it teleports you to a predefined spot on the map.  That could also hypothetically be abused, but the potential for abuse is far less if you have to hold the button for 20 seconds, and it always whisks you to the same spot.

Guest Marcurios

@Martin Prchal, too late, i passed the time till i died, so the savegame is destroyed.

@ajb1978, i personally think if people want to abuse it, let them, it's worse having a game that keeps being plagued by this issue then some people abusing it, it only takes away from their own experience, i'm pretty sure that once someone did this that actually doesn't want to cheat, that his savegame immediately becomes useless to them..i know it would  for me.

I have been making big world mods for Fallout New Vegas together with friends (New California, The Frontier) and i scripted a lot of the mechanics of the game in my own mods, usually to make it much harder and unforgiving, cause i like that, but i totally understand a friend of mine, that only wanted to cheat, i also noticed that he didn't enjoy the game as much as me, so if people want to cheat, let them, i don't see why that is a bad thing...i won't, cause i don't like that..

I always start out on what i can handle, and then work my way up till i know the game from the back of my head and play on the hardest difficulty, and if moddable, i then start making it even more difficult, did that with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Fallout 3, NV, Fallout 4 and Skyrim, that's why i love Borderlands too, you don't even have to mod that game, it get's absolutely crazy after a few playthroughs..i love the grind..

But anyways, if a Dev just brainstorms about this for a while, he can definitely come up with a no cheat mechanism to get unstuck, i know i would.
If you think about the things that you absolutely don't want to happen, you can device failsafes for all of them in your script.
In programming everything is possible...literally..

Guest Marcurios

@Martin Prchal, i do remember it is in Pleasant Valley, just walking back to the farmstead like 50 or 100 meters outside the cave just next to the climbing spot up to the radio tower, there is a small flat rock there, maybe player height and 5x5 meters surface, and it borders right on a slope that will have the higher sprain symbol activated..
So i was hugging the mountain walking back to the farmstead from that cave..

I'll go there in the next playthrough and make a screenshot with position info.

Edited by Marcurios

Ok thanks, that's not area I find myself in very often, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe I'll send a Pilgrim survivor over there. It's weird to me that there are places on the map where you can get stuck like this, it seems to me that the map is usually pretty well made.

13 hours ago, Marcurios said:

@Martin Prchal, too late, i passed the time till i died, so the savegame is destroyed.

@ajb1978, i personally think if people want to abuse it, let them, it's worse having a game that keeps being plagued by this issue then some people abusing it, it only takes away from their own experience, i'm pretty sure that once someone did this that actually doesn't want to cheat, that his savegame immediately becomes useless to them..i know it would  for me.

I have been making big world mods for Fallout New Vegas together with friends (New California, The Frontier) and i scripted a lot of the mechanics of the game in my own mods, usually to make it much harder and unforgiving, cause i like that, but i totally understand a friend of mine, that only wanted to cheat, i also noticed that he didn't enjoy the game as much as me, so if people want to cheat, let them, i don't see why that is a bad thing...i won't, cause i don't like that..

I always start out on what i can handle, and then work my way up till i know the game from the back of my head and play on the hardest difficulty, and if moddable, i then start making it even more difficult, did that with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Fallout 3, NV, Fallout 4 and Skyrim, that's why i love Borderlands too, you don't even have to mod that game, it get's absolutely crazy after a few playthroughs..i love the grind..

But anyways, if a Dev just brainstorms about this for a while, he can definitely come up with a no cheat mechanism to get unstuck, i know i would.
If you think about the things that you absolutely don't want to happen, you can device failsafes for all of them in your script.
In programming everything is possible...literally..

Once a mechanic is added to the game, then using it for whatever purpose inside the game the player wants generally is not cheating.  Therefore, if you implement an unstuck mechanism, then people using it to get unstuck from whatever circumstance they find themselves stuck in would not be cheating... but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have a negative impact on this sort of survival game.  As I responded to you earlier, there is a whole club of mountain goaters who play this game and revel in finding ways to access the extreme terrain on these maps.  They aren't cheating, they're challenging themselves and, currently, they accept the risks they take when doing so.  Inserting an unstuck mehanism would remove that challenge from this game.  If the game can be programmed to limit the mechanism such that it only works if the player has fallen through the mesh rather than just gotten stuck on extreme terrain, OK; but if it's up to the player to decide that in this case I'm stuck because I fell through the mess, so I'll use it and in this other case I'm stuck because I got myself in over my head... then, no, I'm against it and would rather see HL continue to fix their weak areas in the mesh as the players make them aware of those locations.

FO4 survival is a different beat in that the player must sleep to save and each bed is in a predetermined locations (unless the player has modded to remove settlement boundaries).  Alternatively, HL could remove all other saves from the game and only allow us to save when we can sleep.  I don't see that as a positive move either given the specific nature of this game.

Edited by UpUpAway95

10 hours ago, Martin Prchal said:

Ok thanks, that's not area I find myself in very often, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe I'll send a Pilgrim survivor over there. It's weird to me that there are places on the map where you can get stuck like this, it seems to me that the map is usually pretty well made.

It's not unusual. There have been tons of bugfixes about similar issues.

But as said teleporting you a bit to the side is too prone to abuse. Climbing around in difficult areas has its uses in this game. There are some nice short cuts that way (climb down Timberwolf Mountain. Or the lookout tower hill in ML). You shouldn't get stuck, but it does have its risks.

Guest Marcurios

i dunno, i played it for 30 hours and i already have multiple bugs, invisible bow, stuck in terrain, wildlife dissapearing in front of me, collision being left when harvesting furniture for firewood and so on..i do consider these things bugs..

i'm posting it here in the hope that Hinterland sees that it would probably better to find a non-cheating mechanism to fix these terrain issues in one fell swoop. cause like i said, i make games for more then 15 years myself, and fixing each possible collision spot where you can get stuck in a piece of terrain in a 3d game is just not really possible, and there comes a time that Hinterland decides the game is ready and done, and they won't update it anymore, and then there will still be plenty of spots left that you can get stuck in.

I don't see that getting stuck because of exploration is a risk that one has to take and be ok with, especially when it can easily be resolved with a scripted routine.
Also, it takes Hinterland a lot of time to keep fixing these spots in the terrain on every update. precious time they already haven't got enough of..
Cause i already found atleast a hundred spots that make the player capsule behave weird on the collision, stuff that could easily be scripted to not happen.

but anyone is entitled to his opinion, i respect that, but i think the opinions being said here aren't really valid from a game technical perspective.
gameplay perspective yes, but not game technical, technically speaking, the player-world collision needs fixing.
this has a lot to do with Hinterlands decision to make the player not being able to jump.
That's why you can jump in most games, to be able to get out of more collision errors.
It has a lot to do with handling floating point precision error detection and resolution in collision.
just write a proper script with good exception handling and attach it to the player prefab and it will definitely fix most occurances.

14 minutes ago, Marcurios said:

I don't see that getting stuck because of exploration is a risk that one has to take and be ok with,

It isn't. Being stuck is not ok. But including an easy to abuse tool that makes mountain goating easier is too much of a price to pay to fix these cases.

Edited by Serenity

Guest Marcurios

Why ?
what do you care about what other people do with it ?
As long as you don't abuse it for yourself, there is nothing wrong with it.

I have a friend, he always cheats whenever possible, i don't tell him not to, if he wants to, let him..
For me it ruins the fun if i do that, i rather make it more difficult often.
But i do not like bugs and glitches.

I often have a feeling that people that say it like you do, are afraid they are going to use it themselves, just because it's there..
That they don't have the restraint to only use it in the situation that you're stuck.
i'm certainly not one of those people, cause if i would misuse it, the savegame is busted for me..
but that's just me, i know a lot of people can't help themselves.

Edited by Marcurios