Any tips ?

Guest Marcurios

Guest Marcurios

yep i had a sprained wrist from trying to get out of that position.
it was a rock that hugged a sprain inducing slope, and once i walked between the rock and the slope, i noticed i could not proceed, then i wanted to backtrack but was stuck there, so i tried to get out and got a sprained wrist, that's when it saved.

Essentially, they should not save on getting hurt, it could potentially completely ruin a savegame.

someone has said that this is rare, but if you google for it it seems very common to get stuck.
so not saving on getting hurt would definitely make sure you could reload your save and not have it totally ruined.

Edited by Marcurios

5 minutes ago, Marcurios said:

yep i had a sprained wrist from trying to get out of that position.
it was a rock that hugged a sprain inducing slope, and once i walked between the rock and the slope, i noticed i could not proceed, then i wanted to backtrack but was stuck there, so i tried to get out and got a sprained wrist, that's when it saved.

Essentially, they should not save on getting hurt, it could potentially completely ruin a savegame.

I disagree.  If they did not have the game save upon getting hurt, people would just exit whenever they got hurt and redo whatever little bit they had done since they last slept, passed time, or entered a building.  That would totally defeat the purpose of having injuries and treatments that consume reousrces.  If the place you were stuck was not do to actually glitchy terrain (falling into the mesh), but rather due to foolishly walking into an area where the rocks come together such that you should have been able to see that you would like not be able to get out of that situation, then it's your fault and you should die... because that's part of a permadeath game.  When you make a foolish choice, it costs you either resources or even your life.  You even had a chance then to save your file by exiting before you became injured.  If you've fallen out of the game world technically, then I believe the game should disable all saves until the player exits the game and basically tell the player they will need to exit the game in order to restore the save features.  Some progress would be lost, but usually not more than a game day (since sleep is a requirement).

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest Marcurios

@UpUpAway95, if you had read all i said you would probably have realized that it's not due to me walking into a piece of terrain i shouldn't have.
it's easily accesible and looks like it can easily be traversed. Also, i'm a new player, the game doesn't tell you how it works, you'll have to figure that out while playing, could i have known then that it would save when i became injured then, cause i didn't see that anywhere...

@Frozencorpse, i'll try that next time some more for sure, i did mess around a bit, also with crouching and turning and stuff, but i was really not getting anywhere with it.
I also layed a bedroll on the rockface, but then i could not sleep in it, cause it fell inside the rock when i placed it.
The snowshelter might just be a good idea for next time, or maybe a one stick fire to get me some helping collision.

I went back to the rock and made a screenshot from it with x,y coordinates..i'll send it to HL.

screen_(1857, 81, 745)_c1d05811-42b3-4a06-aca5-1221b63c4a40.jpg

Edited by Marcurios

If you truly get stuck somewhere report it as a bug. They will fix these instances and there are have been tons small of changes to terrain. I once got stuck right next to Qonset Garage between that stone border and two stacks of pallets. So they moved the pallets apart.

Otherwise be careful with walking around in extreme terrain. There are some nice short cuts that way, but it can also end badly. You can get trapped on ledges that you can't get down from

right, i already started to realize some stats can easily be abused, you'll lose more health from two subsequent wolf fights then a day without food.
and matches and or a firestarter are important to have, but they're quite abundant, fire is life...lol

You can make things harsher. There are settings with limited or even no condition recovery during sleep. There is also a setting for awake condition recovery (when all your needs are met). So you can and need to abuse your condition a bit, but if you overdo it you suffer from it.

Loot can also be made much rarer to the point where most containers will be empty. With 2-3 packs of matches per map you still end up with plenty, but you don't have the hundreds of matches you can find on lower difficulties. Relying on the mag lens and good weather becomes much more important

2 hours ago, Marcurios said:

@UpUpAway95, if you had read all i said you would probably have realized that it's not due to me walking into a piece of terrain i shouldn't have.
it's easily accesible and looks like it can easily be traversed. Also, i'm a new player, the game doesn't tell you how it works, you'll have to figure that out while playing, could i have known then that it would save when i became injured then, cause i didn't see that anywhere...

@Frozencorpse, i'll try that next time some more for sure, i did mess around a bit, also with crouching and turning and stuff, but i was really not getting anywhere with it.
I also layed a bedroll on the rockface, but then i could not sleep in it, cause it fell inside the rock when i placed it.
The snowshelter might just be a good idea for next time, or maybe a one stick fire to get me some helping collision.

I went back to the rock and made a screenshot from it with x,y coordinates..i'll send it to HL.

screen_(1857, 81, 745)_c1d05811-42b3-4a06-aca5-1221b63c4a40.jpg

Your bedroll being placed inside the rock as you described indicates to me that you probably did fall through a bit of a hole in the world.  If so, that's a bug.  It was a great idea to try that.

Please don't take offense...  What I was saying is IF you go off and get stuck in terrain where it looks like you might get stuck, then I don't agree with there being a hedge move to get out of that situation.  It's a tough balance to strike, but I can see such a hedge move (like floating the player up and out of trouble arbitrarily) as something that could be readily abused in this game.  There are a whole herd of mountain goat types playing this game that live for finding ways to get into every single place on the map and I think the challenge and the risk of that should remain.  It's part of the game.  Giving an easy-out to that would, IMO, lessen the challenge and fun of that sort of activity.

• Upvote 1

Guest Marcurios

like i said, i make games myself, i script and make models and textures, i script pretty intensely difficult things.
in the end all my scripts are flawless and i always manage to fix all occuring errors cause i'm very tenacious in getting the errors and bugs out.
it would not be to difficult to write a script that does good exception handling on the player's collision capsule so that these errors never occur.
it can take some time, but in the end it takes less time then keep fixing terrain bugs, cause there will always be some floating point errors in
collision detection, and it will differ each time on every machine, so a spot on my machine where i have a collision problem, can be a non trouble spot for you.
it's just a technical issue that can be resolved by a good script.