Serious accidents during crafting/chopping

lore-nmj

Serious accidents while crafting could depend on skill level with level 5 meaning you would almost never have an accident. Wood chopping accidents could depend on cold, energy level and wind. 

Accidents could happen during any activity that uses any sharp or heavy object: crafting, mending, or forging as well as during any proximity with fire. 

Accidents could be minor with mending like a small cut at worst. Major accidents could happen while cutting wood that could lead to results similar to frostbite: permanent condition loss or complete loss of a limb (like a sprain but permanent).

a bandage could be used to recover as well as antiseptic and pain killers in the normal way. 

The hammer might be unusual in the way the way that it might cause a rib break or bruising whereas sharp objects cause punctures or cuts.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

So then, you are proposing the introduction of a "klutz" mechanic?  :D 
I don't think I would enjoy it if such a thing were added to the game.

I understand what the OP is asking for, but I have to agree. With the amount of angry threads here, and on Steam, and posts on social media over the new Sprain mechanics (which I actually like), I think there would be a much harsher reaction to something like this. RNG making you cut yourself while crafting clothing, or fixing your lantern, getting burns while forging, breaking your foot by dropping the hammer on it, ect. I would expect it would not make those players happy either, and the response would be "outrage" by some. I can't see it going over well.

• Upvote 3

We already have a burn "klutz" mechanic if you stand too close to your campfire, but AFAIK, it's not an RNG thing.  Standing too close = getting burned every time.  I prefer this sort of thing to the sprain mechanic as it is now... where there are a number of factors being weighed by the game, but the ultimate decision is a roll of dice.  I didn't like spending hours in game thinking I had figured out strategies to avoid getting so many sprains only to be suddenly hit with 4 sprains back to back when on mild slopes, unencumbered, and fully rested.  Therefore, I'm going to say no to this as well. 

30 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Standing too close = getting burned every time.

Yeah, but that is a reasonable punishment for a player who foolishly decides to stand in a fire...  It would be different if it were something silly like while you are cooking, you randomly get splattered by grease and are given a burn affliction.  - that's the kind of silliness I'm against.  :)  

[Side Note]
I like the sprain mechanic as it exists now.  I know some don't, but I do.  :)
I've not yet had any sprains that weren't well deserved.

Edited by ManicManiac

53 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Yeah, but that is a reasonable punishment for a player who foolishly decides to stand in a fire...  It would be different if it were something silly like while you are cooking, you randomly get splattered by grease and are given a burn affliction.  - that's the kind of silliness I'm against.  :)  

[Side Note]
I like the sprain mechanic as it exists now.  I know some don't, but I do.  :)
I've not yet had any sprains that weren't well deserved.

As I said, I'm OK with the burn mechanic because it is direct cause = effect.  What I don't like about the sprain mechanic is that there is a random component to it... and I have gotten several sprains that were not really deserved... 1) Walking along the mostly flat railroac track in Mystery Lake when not overtired (i.e. not in the red yet) and over the carry limit by only 1 kg.  2) Walking down the hill while crouched near the cave between Mountain Town and Mystery Lake in the direction of the Trapper's Cabin when not over the carry limit and it was first thing in the morning after waking in the Trapper's Cabin.  3) Four sprains in rapid succession (heal one get another right away) when climbing the hill across from the Camp Office at it's gentlest point and again not over the carry limit and fully rested.  4) I've received at least 4 sprains in my most recent save in Mountain Town while crouching going down below the climbing vine to the radio tower while over the carry limit by 1 to 3 kg and with only about 1/2 my fatigue level used... one of them was when my fatigue level dropped just low enough that I went from being unencumbered to being a little overencumbered during that descent.  I would be fine with the new sprain system IF it were more reliable that staying well rested and reasonably unencumbered resulted in fewer sprains overall.

Edited by UpUpAway95

6 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

What I don't like about the sprain mechanic is that there is a random component to it...
[content removed for brevity]

For all those reasons you list I totally understand where you are coming from... but I'm not having the same experiences you are.  For me it's been working as Raph described where his intentions.  It totally shouldn't be spraining you on flat surfaces especially under the conditions you mention.  I'm on PC and my game doesn't behave the way you are describing. 

Edited by ManicManiac

Just now, ManicManiac said:

For all those reasons you list I totally understand where you are coming from... but I'm not having the same experiences you are.  For me it's been working as Raph described where his intentions.  It totally shouldn't be spraining you on flat surfaces especially under the conditions you mention.  I'm on PC and my game doesn't behave the way you are describing. 

For the railroad track one, I did say "mostly flat."  There are a few dips and dives on the route, but nothing major.  For awhile after the mechanic was introduced, I was getting sprains on completely flat terrain (like the front porch of Grey Mother's house - after not getting sprain when climbing the hill).  That much has appeared to have been fixed.  I'm careful.  I go long periods without any sprains doing exactly the same things and following exactly the same routes as when suddenly I'll start getting a bad roll of the dice in rapid succession.  I can understand them wanting a "surprise" element in there, but I prefer mechanics that are completely reliable.  Player does X and Y happens reliably every time.  I'm not pushing to see the sprain mechanic changed at this point... I just don't want to see the game become reliant on these lotteried events.  There is enough RNG in this game already.  Case in point - As I posted on another thread, I was recently attacked by a wolf in Pilgrim mode.  Yeah, I shot it and I had been following the blood trail for a long time before it jumped me after I had lost the blood trail and decided to just to back to harvest the deer it had been feeding on when I shot it.  It's the first time a wolf has behaved like that in Pilgrim mode that I know of.  Probably not a bug though... probably RNG.

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I did say "mostly flat." 

Fair enough... you absolutely did.  Since the last hotfix for it, I've not had any sprains under those conditions you listed in your last post either though.  That is puzzling...
As you mention, I guess sometimes the RNG just hates us. :) 

I once was waiting 21 days for an aurora (during the Archivist Challenge where the Aurora is more frequent), just because I got screwed by bad weather each night for three weeks solid:D 

Edited by ManicManiac

10 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Fair enough... you absolutely did.  Since the last hotfix for it, I've not had any sprains under those conditions you listed in your last post either though.  That is puzzling...
As you mention, I guess sometimes the RNG just hates us. :) 

I once was waiting 21 days for an aurora (during the Archivist Challenge where the Aurora is more frequent), just because I got screwed by bad weather each night for three weeks solid:D 

Exactly.  Just call me "Badluck Shleprock."

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Just call me "Badluck Shleprock."

In that, you do have my sympathies... truly.
...just out of curiosity is the run you are seeing this in pre-steadfast/hotfix, or is it a newer run that started after?

[Addendum]
May the Admins forgive us... we've gotten way off topic.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

In that, you do have my sympathies... truly.
...just out of curiosity is the run you are seeing this in pre-steadfast/hotfix, or is it a newer run that started after?

It's a new one.  I don't have any saves linger from before the steadfast/hotfix now.  On higher difficulties, I generally die pretty quickly and on the lower difficulties, I tend to terminate them when I start getting too comfortable.  The best/funnest part of the game for me is the beginning; although I would like to eventually get good enough to have a more difficult save last beyond a few days.

ETA:  I'd like to have a custom setting where we could progressively increase the difficulty on our own... then maybe I'd carry some of my lower difficulty saves longer and, maybe, learn more about surviving at a higher difficulty.

Edited by UpUpAway95

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

then maybe I'd carry some of my lower difficulty saves longer and, maybe, learn more about surviving at a higher difficulty.

I suppose you could say I've been doing Long Dark endurance training... I'm not letting myself "graduate" to the next difficulty until I've survived 500 days at my present difficulty.  :D  It's always little slip ups and/or one bad decision that gets in my way.

• Upvote 1

@FrozenCorpse,
Considering everything you've said... I could see some merit in a player having "accidents" while working with tools (of all kinds) when they are say... exhausted, freezing, hypothermic (kind of the same but still different affliction so I made the distinction), sick, starving, sprained, afflicted with cabin fever... in other words representing that they are in a less than well/alert state.  That would make sense I suppose.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

The player is already prevented from reading research books while starving/sick/injured. Maybe instead of RNG accidents, impose a similar penalty on strenuous activity while starving or exhausted: no crafting or mending when you're so tired you're likely to stick yourself with a fish hook, no chopping up tree limbs and big crates when you're too weak to avoid hacking off your own leg.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've enjoyed discussion. I hope it sort of honed down what I actually brought up into something workable. Perhaps the aspects of accidents that already exist (sprain mechanic, rifle precision sway when tired, etc) are sort of already taken care of. I was hoping to expand that idea to a newb trying to use his regular tools and hatchet to make a bear bedroll might leave with a few cuts (a bandage and some pain meds later.. or rest and he'd be fine). It just seems more authentic. Alternatively, you could have it take longer, but I feel that the crafting time is already long enough.

This is an idea I would hope does NOT become a mechanic, but more influences the crafting part of the game as a reasonable effect of using sharp tools while you are tired/exhausted/hungry.

In any case, thank you for all the input.

Guest jeffpeng
On 8/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, Swales said:

The player is already prevented from reading research books while starving/sick/injured. Maybe instead of RNG accidents, impose a similar penalty on strenuous activity while starving or exhausted: no crafting or mending when you're so tired you're likely to stick yourself with a fish hook, no chopping up tree limbs and big crates when you're too weak to avoid hacking off your own leg.

Something like this would actually be not half a bad idea, especially if it worked when you are hungry. It would not completely fix the entire starvation mechanic, but at least give some more much needed incentive to stay on a somewhat-healthy diet.

accidents when you tired, near death only. Otherwise its too unpredicable. If your character is so autistic its able to drop hammer and broke its foot, then probably wont survive anyway :D Why not shoot yourself in the head, because you can check round in chamber via looking into a gun's muzzle.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kristaok
On 10/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, Moll said:

accidents when you tired, near death only. Otherwise its too unpredicable. If your character is so autistic its able to drop hammer and broke its foot, then probably wont survive anyway :D Why not shoot yourself in the head, because you can check round in chamber via looking into a gun's muzzle.

(This is coming from someone who is on the spectrum)

I know you weren't trying to be derogatory or anything... but could you please reconsider using the term "autistic" in a negative light. Thanks. :)

Back to the OP, you do have a good idea here... I just wonder how it could be implemented without being too stressful. :P