Maple Tree Tap

michaelyork777

Gotta say no on this one ~ sap doesn't flow until spring, and there is no spring in this game (nor likely to be except in a DLC of some sort).

I wouldn't mind adding bottled syrup to the food list, but the raw sap itself has a mildly sweet taste and looks pretty much like water. It IS full of good things that would be of benefit health wise, but since it requires a certain amount of warming to get at, wouldn't be at all practical. It would also require adding the trees themselves along with a new gadget and animations. 

• Like 1

I have to say "No." as well. Though I like the idea, tapping maples and birches (the 2 deciduous trees we have in the game) for sap, it makes zero sense in the world we are in. Arctic winter. Neither tree would have sap to tap.  And I wonder how we would make the spiles. 

Maybe in another game, or a 4 season expansion of this one, someday. But now, no. 

34 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

(which is unfortunate since I know there are some players who would enjoy having something to drizzle over pancakes)

Only Pancakes in the game right now are in dust covered frames, hanging on walls. I don't think drizzling maple syrup over them is going to make them taste much better than they would without it.

*insert very sad face here*

Now, if we get actual, edible, cookable Pancakes added by the devs, damn straight, they better add some maple syrup for them!

And if we have to wait for modding support, for me to turn the entire island into a giant Pancake, you better believe I am replacing all snow and ice with real butter and 100% Real Canadian Maple Syrup. Let's see how those doggos like having really sticky paws! :wolf:

I was actually thinking more about the traditional Canadian Sugar Shack and maple syrup snow candy.

https://happyhooligans.ca/make-maple-syrup-snow-candy-3-simple-steps/

I don't think it's so ridiculously out of line to just let the sap flow in the cold.  We already have brown bunnies in the dead of winter, still edible roae hips (which are ususually harvested in late fall), and reishi mushrooms (which become unusable after a hard frost).

Edited by UpUpAway95
Added info
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This wouldn't make sense without seasons. Sap flows due to change in temperature. But it's a good idea. Maybe some trees could have dried sap and you can harvest it for tinder I've used it to start fires before it burns really hot so it's a good firestarter. maybe it could increase your fire starting chance by 5% or so as well.