Archivist Aurora trigger/frequency?

StandardFare

Hi!

I have a problem in the Archivist Challenge. I am in the Lower Dam in the lunch room with the computer desks waiting for the aurora to appear. I have been waiting there for 4-5 nights with no luck. The reason I am waiting there is because I need to be already near the computer when it's time, because I will not be able to cross the live wires when the aurora appears (I would suffer electric shock; died from this on my first try at Archivist). I am beginning to ask myself -- and hence you guys -- if the Aurora will appear at all when waiting indoors? Is my strategy preventing the aurora to happen?

If so, I would have to go about my business outside elsewhere and wait for the aurora. But then, is there a way to reach the computers without forcing the player to tread on the live wires, risking their lives?

Thanks!

The Lower Dam is one of the most deceptively difficult Buffer Memories to get in the Archivist challenge, precisely because of the live wires you mentioned and the layout of the dam putting the exit to/entrance from Winding River at opposite ends of the building. Easy to run out of food or water waiting in that one small room.

The good news is that passing time/waiting indoors definitely doesn't prevent an Aurora from happening. I've had Auroras start while sleeping/waiting indoors on the Archivist challenge. You've just had lousy luck for 4-5 days. Don't forget to carry a bedroll with you, make regular daytime trips outside for food/water/fire etc, and make it back home to Lower Dam and be on the right side of the sparkies every day before sundown. Eventually, the heavens WILL reward your patience with some spooky green glow clouds. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! Is the buffer memory in that "office/lunch room" at the top end of lower dam (the room with the window entrance) or is it down stairs in the hall with the two circular elevated platforms (where there is also a computer desk with two flat screens)? Because these two potential locations are seperated by a wire, so I better be waiting for the aurora on the correct "side" of the wire.

Edited by StandardFare

@StandardFare,
Don't feel too dejected... I once had to camp out at the radio tower on the Muskeg for 21 days and another 14 days in Broken Railroad waiting for an aurora... sometimes we just get really crappy luck with the weather.  As Swales mentioned, being indoors will not affect the occurrence of an Aurora... only the weather will do that, and sometimes the RNG hates us.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

When on my 100% Buffer Memory hunt, I actually made a point to live in the cave in the Winding River transition region.  I would pass time outside (to avoid CF) and sleep in the back of the cave in 1 hour increments.  During the day I would scoot through the dam and hunt for food in Mystery Lake, then haul my kill back to the Winding River cave, and wait out the time.  When an aurora hit, I'd head up into the dam, check the computer, and then wait indoors until the aurora ended, to safely exit the dam.

The aurora will appear on average about once every 7 days, although you can increase or decrease this likelihood via a Custom game.

• Upvote 1