Better Campfire

UTC-10

As a possible substitute for the "no tinder needed" maybe there is a case for an enhanced campfire that has better wind resistance. Starting at Level 3 where the "no tinder needed" benefit kicks in, the player may then have the option to "build" a better campfire. So this "enhanced campfire" replaces the "no tinder needed" benefit.

For starters, at Level 3, you can build a campfire that has a 90 degree arc (45 degrees left and right of where you're facing when you construct it, plan carefully) where wind by anything short of a howling blizzard would not affect the campfire as far as blowing it out. The player spends 30 game-minutes constructing it and, obviously, it has a different graphic (so not a trivial thing by devs requirements). It appears out of nowhere when the time is spent. 

At Level 4, the campfire has a 180 degree arc (90 left and 90 right) and requires one hour to construct. Again, anything short of a full blizzard would not put out the fire.

At level 5, the campfire takes 1-1/2 or two hours to construct and either has a 270 degree arc  or maybe still a 180 degree arc and  is now proof against blizzard winds from the protected side.

Naturally the campfire appears in the middle as usual, the footprint of the enhanced campfire is also restrictive like how a snow shelter can be placed in only certain places, and it does block you from walking over/through it conversely it does not hinder animals. This might actually beg for an option to deconstruct the enhanced campfire with nothing but charcoal to be salvaged, perhaps.

Of course this is not a trivial issue thing for the devs to implement so I highly doubt it would show up anytime soon.

@UTC-10,
I like the current system as it is right now... if we want a campfire that has less risk of getting blown out all we have to do is be mindful about where we are placing it.  The idea you've put forth seems a little overpowered for my tastes.

I do think that tinder shouldn't become useless after level three though... I feel like it should always provide some fire starting benefit.  I talk about this in another one of my posts from a while back... if I find it I will add it as an addendum to this.

Also, I am still an advocate for being able to breakdown burnt out campfires. 

[Addendum]

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, ManicManiac said:

- Items usable as tinder should provide at least some kind of bonus for starting fires (even if only a small one), it only makes sense...  Otherwise it's a completely wasted resource after you get your fire starting skill to level 3.  In a game like this, nothing should be useless.  Right now, after level 3 tinder is only good for filling the pockets of corpses. :P

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Makes sense to me, I know it may seem a bit overpowered though, but if it takes a few hours to construct, (maybe you need to gather extra stones) I feel it's a fair trade off. It'd be a nice option to have a better fire at your main base (if you have one). I mainly stay at the Quonset garage, which means I have fires tucked around all sides of the garage and next to cars so I've always got an option to boil water when the wind picks up. But irl, I would construct some sort of sheltered fire if I could, so I think it makes sense in the game and would be a nice addition.

I've also never liked the idea of not using tinder to start a fire. No matter how good you are, I think starting a fire with nothing but an old table leg and a magnifying glass is a bit too unrealistic lmao

And yeah, I am DEFINITELY all in favour of being able to dismantle old fires. They just look so unsightly lol.

Edited by Lonelyloper
posted before I was finished :p

I try think in terms of what the devs would consider fair trade-offs to balance one advantage with a disadvantage.  Because the graphic image would likely have to be different to distinguish each type of enhanced campfire, I would not consider it a candidate for implementation anytime soon. 

An alternate to this enhanced mostly wind-proof campfire might be to reintroduce the old campfire (no ring of rocks around it), make it more forgiving of the underlying surface so it could be laid on a steeper or more irregular surface than previously, and only provide warmth with the collateral effect of warming previously brewed drinks and foods that can be heated, that were placed near it. This old-style campfire would despawn much like fully harvested carcasses do now in the game and/or by the next morning or something.  Other features, pro and con, would depend on what it would do to game balance.

More cooking spots would be nice, but I think it would be OP. Since fire starting skill, once leveled, is always on, if there was some kind of handicap associated with the additional cooking surfaces, it would mean that the handicap would always be there. Depending on the handicap, it could become a real pain. 

We'll see what turns up in Pleasant Valley when Episode 3 goes live. Be interesting what HL has for us with December.