Redoing the blood loss affliction.

Skelegutplays

First off the player should have a blood level meter that would be hidden, however the player would experience weakness and tunnel vision at low levels of blood. Blood would be regenerated at a rate of 1% every 2.4 hours on all difficulties but interloper where it would regenerate at 1% every 4 hours regenerating blood would use up the players iron reserves if you regenerate more the 30% of your blood in a week you would be at risk of getting iron deficiancy which would  make the player tired at a faster rate and cap fatigue at 75% it could be healed by time or taking an iron supplement for a week once everyday. The iron deficiancy is there as a balance factor to make high blood loss have a long-term affect on the player. So with this new system blood loss would be seperated in 4 classes minor, moderate, severe and extreme. Also the way the blood levels would work would by having a percentage meter not visible to the player symptoms of blood loss would be, 90% blood, minor blurring of vision, 80% vision blurred and minor tunnel vision, 70% vision severely blurred and tunnel vision max fatigue capped at 80%, 60% extremely blurred vision and heavy tunnel vision condition loss at 5% an hour max fatigue capped at 50%. 50% same as 60% but max fatigue capped at 30% and condition loss at 20% an hour, 40% same as 50% but condition loss is 30% an hour.

The stats for each state of blood loss would be the following.

Having a bandage would also decrease blood loss from bleeding wounds by 40%

Minor bleeding. 5% blood loss an hour and takes 30 ingame minutes to stop bleeding and 10 ingame minutes with a bandage. Caused by wolf attacks, falls and occasionally working with a knife.

Moderate bleeding. 15% blood loss an hour and takes 1.5 ingame hours to stop and 30 ingame minutes with a bandage. Would be caused by wolf, bear and moose attacks, large falls and rarely while working with a hatchet.

Severe bleeding. 40% blood loss and hour and does not stop without a bandage and it take 45 ingame minutes to stop bleeding with a bandage. Would be caused by bear and moose attacks, extreme falls and very rarely wolf attacks.

Extreme bleeding. 80% blood loss and hour and takes 1 ingame hour to stop bleeding with a bandage and does not stop bleeding without a bandage. Caused rarely (15%-30% chance) by bear and moose attacks.

Also for example an animal attack could give many wounds such as a bear attack giving 1 severely bleeding wound and 2 moderately bleeding wounds instead of 1 exteremely bleeding wound but both would be possible to get from a bear attack.

And as a bonus suggestion it would be very useful to have the ability to cauterize a wound with a knife heated on a fire. it would lower the base bleed rate of the wound by 75%, but it would give the severely burned affliction. ( severely burned would be like the burns affliction we have now but it would have twice the debuffs).

Adding the ability to cauterize a bleeding wound using a lit torch or flare, in exchange for additional condition damage and a Burns affliction, I could get behind.  Overhauling the bleeding mechanics because....realism I guess?....I don't quite see how that would improve the game.  Injury management, hunger management, etc. are things that are I think best handled at a very high level.  You're hungry, eat calories.  We don't need to track individual vitamins.  Similarly, you're bleeding, use a bandage.  I don't think we necessarily need to get into severity of the bleed-out.

But cauterizing, yeah I could get on board with that.  I've suggested that myself in the past.

• Upvote 1

If the player would experience severe blood loss, they would need more than just bandages to stop it, they would need stitches. (If we are being realistic here). Cauterization is debatable whether it's actually effective. I do agree that high blood loss should have somewhat of a long-term affect on the player. In the second episode of Wintermute, we do see the beard guy (sorry I forgot his name) rest up for DAYS to recover from the bear attack while we run around doing errands for him. (even after we give him his medical supplies)

• Upvote 1

Stitches.  Now there is a good reason for finding a sewing kit inside a first aid box.

These ideas for blood loss are decent.

Internal bleeding or bruising is another affliction worth considering.  To treat these types of injuries the blood needs to be drained or leeched.  Blood clots or hematoma  caused from blunt force trauma can become very dangerous. 

Maybe we can find leeches at the skeg.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

Internal bleeding or bruising is another affliction worth considering.  To treat these types of injuries the blood needs to be drained or leeched.  Blood clots or hematoma  caused from blunt force trauma can become very dangerous. 

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe we can find leeches at the skeg.

I’m wondering if someone has suggested an “Open/Gaping Wound” affliction yet? That would really require stitching and a sewing kit. It would come along with blood loss naturally after a wolf attack or bear mauling. You could treat the blood loss with bandage per usual but need to stitch up the wound. Failing to do so could lead to permanent health decrease like frostbite would do.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...