Co-op mode

Boomthebooms

There's no plans for a co-op or multiplayer mode in The Long Dark.

The Long Dark was designed from the beginning to be a single-player experience and we don't have any plans to add multiplayer. It doesn't quite fit with type of experience we are trying to build and yes, the technical challenges of trying to add multiplayer to the existing game would be pretty significant.

However we do understand many people are interested in a multiplayer experience, and don't fault anyone for finding the idea compelling (it IS fun to imagine). We've seen quite a few requests for it, and it might be something we consider for a future game -- but not this one.

• Like 4

I know it isn't co-op, but something my husband and our 2 grown kids do...

Hearkens back to the "old-days" of "hot-seating" on an arcade machine, console game or early OC game. 

We take turns playing the same character. Since each of us has a different and unique playstyle and strategy, something I may not have thought to try, my husband, son, or daughter may, and it may be the thing that keeps our character alive. Or gets them to "thriving" status. And not telling each other what we did, or where we left the poor guy or gal, adds to it for us, at times. Though leaving notes or sharing what, where and why can make it better at times as well (removes the huge "shock" factor if I leave the character stranded on an ice floe with wolves all around, lol!)

Just a suggestion of something to try out, and see if it works for you.

• Like 3

@ThePancakeLady, right on... I really love this idea.  It sounds like a fun way to keep a run going but add an element of the unknown.  Waking up not knowing how they got there, what they have in their pack, and having to asses their situation & their condition.  :)  Blind Relay Survival Run! 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

What I've always wanted in this game is that when you die, your dead body and its loot gets uploaded and in someone elses random game your body (and a portion of your loot) appears where you died as a new frozen corpse. They can perhaps also investigate your journal and find out all the places you went and whatever notes you left. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

We take turns playing the same character.

I wonder if there'd be enough interest in that kind of play to take it global/international.  @Admin please let me know if this would be out of line or not, but do you think there would be any interest in a thread where people post copies of their survivor mode saves, that others can download and pick up?  You don't know what experience mode you're in for, where the previous person left off, or how much of the world has been cleared.  You could get a general sense of how long they've played, based on the file size of the save, but that's about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I wonder if there'd be enough interest in that kind of play to take it global/international.  @Admin please let me know if this would be out of line or not, but do you think there would be any interest in a thread where people post copies of their survivor mode saves, that others can download and pick up?  You don't know what experience mode you're in for, where the previous person left off, or how much of the world has been cleared.  You could get a general sense of how long they've played, based on the file size of the save, but that's about it.

I would enjoy something like that. But...*caveat incoming*... only if achievements were disabled on shared files. Which may not even be possible to do on all platforms the game is on, that have achievements or trophies.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, ajb1978 said:

people post copies of their survivor mode saves, that others can download and pick up?  You don't know what experience mode you're in for, where the previous person left off, or how much of the world has been cleared.

You wouldn't be planning on sharing your save where you've harvested every resource in the entire Gameworld for some poor unsuspecting person to try, would you?

Because they would be quite mean!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pillock said:

You wouldn't be planning on sharing your save where you've harvested every resource in the entire Gameworld for some poor unsuspecting person to try, would you?

Because they would be quite mean!

Not planning on it no, but I mean that wouldn't be out of the question.  It's kind of up to the sharer what kind of experience they  want to introduce to the sharee.  Personally I'd be rather merciful, probably with the variables tuned to Pilgrim or half Pilgrim half Voyageur, but with specific actions done to tell a story.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 12:25 AM, DaveMcD said:

What I've always wanted in this game is that when you die, your dead body and its loot gets uploaded and in someone elses random game your body (and a portion of your loot) appears where you died as a new frozen corpse. They can perhaps also investigate your journal and find out all the places you went and whatever notes you left. 

There would be bodies nearly everywhere then so that wouldn't work.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:15 PM, LoneWolf5841 said:

There would be bodies nearly everywhere then so that wouldn't work.

The idea was that its a very slim random chance once in a while in your game world to come across someone else's body. you'd probably be lucky to find one.