Arrow hit but no wound?

Rashad82

I shot an arrow

at a bear,

and it broke,

hanging in the air.

So I hit a bear in the face with an arrow, then ran to the safety of a nearby sedan.  The game registered a hit with the progress icon.  I waited out the bear’s bleeding only for it not to die.  I exited the vehicle and found a broken arrow hovering over the road.

Error in item placement aside, is this a common experience? 

I experienced the same thing with a wolf. I hit him with an arrow that was at 16% and it broke. The wolf ran away and when he calmed down you could see that he was limping but after serveal days ingame he still not died. Good to know that shooting at wildlife with an nearly destroyed arrow don't get you a kill.

• 2 weeks later...

If you shoot from indoors, like in the porch on PV, you won't get a blood trail. For some reason you have to be in an outdoor location. I hit a bear with the flare gun through a porch window. He ran off about 50 feet then went back to strolling. He died about 4 hours later. Remember, sometimes the bear will reset if you sleep or leave the map. So just pass time if you are in a car, but don't sleep if you can avoid it. A broken arrow should wound him as much as a normal one. It can take up to 6 hours for a bear to bleed out, depending on your skill level and where you hit him.

2 hours ago, Senitschnig said:

Ok, maybe the wolf was reseted because I slept for several hours?

Thank you for your advice :D I will try it the next time

The progression bar will register a "hit" as long as your arrow/bullet connects with that animal's hit box.  It doesn't guarantee that the animal has been sufficiently hurt to go down.  The next step is to check for a blood trail.  If you have a blood trail in the snow, generally the animal will eventually bleed out.  However, if you go inside before the animals actually drops, it may sometimes reset and there will never be a "kill" registered for it in your log.  Of course, sometimes your own condition will take priority and you'll just have to risk losing the kill to go inside to warm up and rest... but it is worthwhile to consider heading for whatever outdoor shelter might be in the area instead (cave, hollow tree, niche in the rocks, etc.)

When a bleeding animal actually drops, the kill will register in your log.  Once you see a kill register in the log, it is then safe to go inside and rest.  However, if you wait too long to find the corpse, it will despawn  eventually.  As it lies there, the condition is decaying rather rapidly and the corpse despawns when the condition reaches 0.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:51 AM, TheEldritchGod said:

If you shoot from indoors, like in the porch on PV, you won't get a blood trail. For some reason you have to be in an outdoor location. I hit a bear with the flare gun through a porch window. He ran off about 50 feet then went back to strolling. He died about 4 hours later. Remember, sometimes the bear will reset if you sleep or leave the map. So just pass time if you are in a car, but don't sleep if you can avoid it. A broken arrow should wound him as much as a normal one. It can take up to 6 hours for a bear to bleed out, depending on your skill level and where you hit him.

I don't know for sure, but this seems intentional on the part of the game devs. A porch would be like the ultimate hunting blind otherwise.