SANDBOX UPDATE v.192 is now Live! New Region, New Wildlife!

Raphael van Lierop

I know who is Fluffy but I've no idea who the hell is Chester and Cubby.

Cubby lives nearest the crossover point from the Coastal map... Chester lives a little further away 8-)

Are Cubby and Chester bears? I don't know any predator except wolf and bear. So who is the third one?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bagged a black bear. Surprisingly easy. He just stood there for me to pump bullets into. The wolves are acting a lot more unpredictable, which is great. But I think there's more work needed on the bear AI. I've never even seen a wolf in the wild, but bears are all over the place here--both black and brown. I've been uncomfortably close to some in the woods. They move fast when the need to. Like huge furry torpedoes shooting through the underbrush. An agitated one will cover ground really quickly.

Yup... Cubby is the main one... more relatives scattered around ;)

Huh, I understood now. Actually some stuffs about TLD like t-shirts or mugs would be awesome. New update is better than I expected, new UI is sooo good! Seems like we all know what we're going to do at the weekend. :D

One more question, is there any information about translation tool and story mode?

Got to say that I'm loving the new inventory system - way cool.

I'm not loving the changes made to the wolves, but I'll give it a few days before saying I hate it.. you know, looking back - my first time playing I died in 15 minutes, a few times, I admit. So, it feels like a new game, one in which you actually have to strategize(sic) a little, stay downwind, stay way away because the little buggers are fast now. Risk/Reward = awesome.

My initial impression is that for mid difficulty they are way OP. I might change my mind, but I'll bet that this is a resounding sentiment.

In any case - cheers guys! Well done. Well done indeed.

**edit:

I have the sound turned down to 1% and my steps are still really loud and I cannot hear anything else. I also turned program volume down in windows to 1% and can still hear my footsteps rather loudly.

Cubby lives nearest the crossover point from the Coastal map... Chester lives a little further away 8-)

thanks for clarifying, in that case I killed Chester :twisted:

Cubby is my fave one though... I had fun chasing him around the first few times... and when he plays, he really enjoys some good roughhousing. :lol:

Beatrice Bear is the one that most tends to wander near the lower canyon areas near the corner. :shock:

The Wolves are best, but the new bears are a welcomed addition to the Hinterland Furry Family 8-)

What did you guys do to the wolves? They're exactly like fast zombies now. Notice you from twice as far and start chasing instantly.

OMG, I know right? I think I lasted all of 23 minutes on the first load after patch tonight. Was able to button mash the first one off me, but his friend smelled all the blood and jumped me right after, and here I was so excited I had actually scared one a way for once!

Also, is it just me, or does the camera angle when walking look much lower to the ground than before? I keep thinking I'm squatting, but then I hit control button and realize I wasn't. Crouch now pretty much puts your nose in the snow, or at least it seems like it now. I could be wrong.

I didn't have a single wolf hand fight yet, killed though about 10 with my rifle :D I tried to find a wolf for two nights outside the red barn to testdrive the torch but couldn't find one. Several wolves I didn't spot in time ran away, at least 4 wolves just winced and off they went, compared to CH this is quite a high number.

Unfortunately there is (still?) no profile feature and I won't spoil my >50 days stalker run intentionally, I have more supplies than ever and think I could actually make it into the several hundreds. But this means no risk taking which translates to avoiding all hand fighting wolves, so I have to leave testing to opeth :D

Having said that, once you're down the mountain I find the area very easy for spotting wolves far ahead, which makes avoiding them much easier than in CH or ML. But I haven't noticed any wolf yet that got after me because I was carrying raw meat, I've passed several in quite close vincinity with some kg of bear meat on me without getting attacked.

So left aside that they are much easier to shoot (or my aim just got better :tiwsted:) I haven't noticed a difference with wolves yet after ~6 hours (RT) in the new map.

Hey, happy to see new map! But I'm very confused! It took me half day in game to run around new map ?? I found pleasant valley farmstead biggest house in game and the radio tower one of the interesting thing! And nothing more ?! If you climb on radio tower hill you could see map size. It's doesnt look so big.. Maby I miss something ?

PROBLEM!!!

Guys, i got problem with new update. When i am moving from "Coastal highway" to "Pleasant Valley" - my game is crashed. I tried twice to move inside new zone - and both times - failed, game is crashed, Please find problem and make hot fix

http://youtu.be/_BVofU2objU

ABOUT ENGLISH-RUSSIAN TRANSLATION:

I sent you message 2-3 months ago, where i describe - i can help you with English-Russian translation - but you didnt reply.

1. http://s017.radikal.ru/i412/1502/82/9db231efaf68.jpg

"Капюшон" should be changed on "Капот" ("Hood" on Russian)

This is "Капюшон" - http://s43.radikal.ru/i099/1502/eb/2f3290059dc0.png

2. http://s52.radikal.ru/i135/1502/87/5347a95de9cb.jpg

"Ствол" should be changed on "Багажник" ("Trunk" on Russian)

This is "Ствол" - http://s017.radikal.ru/i412/1502/ef/486d65e8c7f8.jpg

Hinterlanders, i am still ready to help you with English-Russian translations (Russian is my native, English is not good at all)

Please feel to free contact me: steam - sashi_channel (Sashi), e-mail: mistertenebrae@gmail.com

Thank you! Have a nice day! :)

• Hinterland

Please note Chester, Cubby, etc. -- none of these are "official" names. Have fun of course, but just saying...this isn't a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

We'll have more to say about translation/localization support soon. We have a bunch of big changes ready to go but didn't want to try to push them out at the same time as this big update.

I'm sure we'll continue tweaking the Wolf AI, as we always do. :) The new changes bring the wolf behaviour more towards the original intention, but we may need to tweak population density a bit since they will go out of their way to hunt you down now (especially if you have raw meat or a bloody wound).

I encourage you to try using Torches as a deterrent to them. Don't rely exclusively on Flares or the Rifle.

Bear AI will get a lot of improvements. What you see in the game is just a start. And yes, anyone who has encountered one has probably realized that they are not something to be trifled with.

Guys you are awesome!

I always sparred words like best update ever and this kind of BS' but what can i say here when i just tried this after a month out and i catch myself staring at that beauty again.

Staying at forest lookout is totally new experience again, the sun light is rendered on the floor in realtime, i think this is what the game needed most - more details here and there, this is how this is becoming masterpiece.

And the sound! This game had always best sound around, i think many games has lack of it because of bad formats with high compression, bad space spread and so... but when you play this with very good headphones you have to hear that difference. Especially hut by mystery lake sounds so real, i checked outside weather in real life many times. I can really hear the winter just few meters upon my head :P

Thank you!

Archived