Crows and Ravens

Ice Hole

Can you tell the difference between these two black birds. 

The Long Dark has a timberwolf being introduced in an upcoming update.  My suggestion is add theses larger black birds and make them more dangerous then the crow.  Instead of help you locate a fresh kill the raven chases off the crows and then start to consumes the carcass.  Maybe have them track the player waiting for an opportunity to take from a players stockpile.  This animal could even be affected by the aurora and attack the player.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Might be good for adding another asset to be cautious of, but if it can attack you, that means it can interact with you...and you with it. If it can attack you, you should be able to kill it, and by extension skin and eat it.

Ravens are similar in weight as the rabbits are (in game), though a little larger (in real life). Carnivorous birds (raptors) taste terrible, for the record. Would be a great addition if it was paired with being able to use feathers (or down, just to separate crafting mats) and cloth to make a lining inside the wolf/bear/moose coats that add extra wind and cold protection to the crafted clothing. I think that would have the potential to be abused though, so maybe make the Ravens a special spawn event similar to how the moose spawns, but you need to have 3 or more of the events to be able to craft the down lining.

Could be an interesting addition.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the idea of that. That would totally be really cool. And maybe, if they attack you, you get a special affliction like gouged eye. This would make ravens extremely dangerous because there is no healing that can be done to reverse it. It would affect the depth perception when using the revolver, rifle and hunting bow, as well as slightly affect the field of vision.

But if it isn’t a raven, then maybe some other carnivorous bird that can attack the player. We need more animals in TLD!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 12:26 AM, Ice Hole said:

Instead of help you locate a fresh kill the raven chases off the crows and then start to consumes the carcass.  Maybe have them track the player waiting for an opportunity to take from a players stockpile.  This animal could even be affected by the aurora and attack the player.

I like this idea! And it's actually very realstic and adds to the challenge. However I still think we should retain some kind of auditory cues to find their location. Ravens should have some kind vocalization in some way like crows while they try to consume corpses. And as @Pillock mentioned, the brandishing mechanic could be brought back to chase them off - brandishing in general makes much more sense attempting to scare of animals than throwing and effectively wasting your torches.

Edited by JujuBear
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

The new sound of the bird above Astrid had me questioning again.  Is it crow or raven.

This same bird is on the title screen.

Molly is telling Astrid how she found her.  Molly does not seem to know how to distinguish and should have watched the video from above. 

Re-watched the video at 8:11 and it seems in my opinion that a juvenile crow is making that sound.

Edited by Ice Hole

On 7/26/2019 at 1:13 AM, JujuBear said:

I like this idea! And it's actually very realstic and adds to the challenge. However I still think we should retain some kind of auditory cues to find their location. Ravens should have some kind vocalization in some way like crows while they try to consume corpses. And as @Pillock mentioned, the brandishing mechanic could be brought back to chase them off - brandishing in general makes much more sense attempting to scare of animals than throwing and effectively wasting your torches.

Yes! This should be a thing!

• Upvote 1