Appearance of food.

AlexandraRussia

Hello. My idea. In the game because there is a can of peaches, pork and beans, and so on and so forth. Say what product is good quality and what is not right ?. What if .by passing the written .It could be for example. A bad can of peaches if the product is long overdue and the can is deformed. Immediately it would be clear that the product is really spoiled. A fresh can of peaches would look really fresh and appetizing.

• Upvote 3

I'm all for this. Rust on metal cans, damaged labels, mould and discolouration on meat. Just like with clothing, you can tell its condition with just a glance. I have a feeling that the devs already have this on their to-do-list, it's just taking time to implement.

• Upvote 3

I have tried playing with the HUD turned off, and in fact those kinds of cues are crucial in order to make that viable; right now if you're playing hudless you have to take it and look at it in inventory to know what the condition is because there are no cues at all when you pick it up. I'd prefer it to be the other way around; you can look at it and get a general idea of what the condition is, but even looking in inventory won't actually tell you. Turns eating things into much more of a lottery for the player...

...and I can say that playing hudless is quite cool, but the inability to get a handle on item condition that's not super precise (looking up the condition in the inventory screen) by looking at it makes hudless playing not really tenable in the long term. And that's unfortunate because, as I said, playing hudless is very cool indeed.

Guest jeffpeng
3 hours ago, shade_grey said:

I have a feeling that the devs already have this on their to-do-list, it's just taking time to implement.

Considering the game has gotten much more vague over time (no more precise clock, no more precise condition percentage) I think you could be right.

Overall great suggestion. I personally would be happily taking this instead of item condition percentages. While I do math the living shoot out of the game where I can, I would actually appreciate to not be able to. It's sort a compulsion. Occupational hazard, if you will.

21 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I have tried playing with the HUD turned off, and in fact those kinds of cues are crucial in order to make that viable; right now if you're playing hudless you have to take it and look at it in inventory to know what the condition is because there are no cues at all when you pick it up. I'd prefer it to be the other way around; you can look at it and get a general idea of what the condition is, but even looking in inventory won't actually tell you. Turns eating things into much more of a lottery for the player...

...and I can say that playing hudless is quite cool, but the inability to get a handle on item condition that's not super precise (looking up the condition in the inventory screen) by looking at it makes hudless playing not really tenable in the long term. And that's unfortunate because, as I said, playing hudless is very cool indeed.

However, with the HUD on, I hope they leave the name indicator in place (e.g. New vs. Dusty vs. Banged Up, etc.).  I like being able to just scroll over a bunch of food I've dropped in a pile and have some indication which piece of food I want to pick up... without having to pick up each and every piece to look at it in the close up view to judge the visual condition of each can.

Edited by UpUpAway95

51 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

However, with the HUD on, I hope they leave the name indicator in place (e.g. New vs. Dusty vs. Banged Up, etc.).  I like being able to just scroll over a bunch of food I've dropped in a pile and have some indication which piece of food I want to pick up... without having to pick up each and every piece to look at it in the close up view to judge the visual condition of each can.

In hudless mode, you get no names at all. When you pick it up, you see the little 3d revolvable model, but no name, no condition, no mass, no calorie count... nothing. That's why the visual cues are crucial; you can only see the actions you can take (take = rmb, eat = space, leave=lmb) and the model for the item.

It's actually really interesting how it makes you handle what's happening... you're only cues for condition are the little sayings and sounds you get from the guy (e.g. "The guy who drank is own pee doesn't seem so crazy right now" means "you're about to start losing condition due to thirst so drink some water moron"). I think the menus could also use some re-working in hudless mode to make them more copacetic with with the hudless philosophy of how you experience the game... and it would be to take certain classes of information away from you.

Edited by stratvox
tyop

1 minute ago, stratvox said:

In ghudless mode, you get no names at all. When you pick it up, you see the little 3d revolvable model, but no name, no condition, no mass, no calorie count... nothing. That's why the visual cues are crucial; you can only see the actions you can take (take = rmb, eat = space, leave=lmb) and the model for the item.

It's actually really interesting how it makes you handle what's happening... you're only cues for condition are the little sayings and sounds you get from the guy (e.g. "The guy who drank is own pee doesn't seem so crazy right now" means "you're about to start losing condition due to thirst so drink some water moron"). I think the menus could also use some re-working in hudless mode to make them more copacetic with with the hudless philosophy of how you experience the game... and it would be to take certain classes of information away from you.

I understand that... all I'm saying is I hope they don't eliminate the name cues in the process of reskinning the appearance.  Leave the name cues in if one is playing with the HUD on.  People who want to go with just the visual cues can then do so by turning the HUD off.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, stratvox said:

You should be able to customize the HUD

On 7/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, StrayCat said:

It would be great to not rely on numbers, but rather on visual hints. We had the same change when we lost the precise "time left before night" to the approximative sun/moon clock. 100% agree on this idea, excellent one !

Thank You.): You know me oddly inspiring game. So I write different ideas :).