Firemaking

TLDFAN

In the next update, can we see some more development in this area? Specifically alternative ways of making fire, maybe some fire mechanics, the ability to build a fire that can survive some winds, maybe not blizzard conditions but certainly some mild winds will not blow out all fires, especially in a fire pit etc, maybe updating the model showing the flames. I know it is just alpha but what do you all think?

I think advancing firemaking skills would be great. It would be nice if there were books to read- as someone mentioned also. So to combine the two, why not have a find of books that teach. If we find the book that teaches us how to make fire by rubbing stick together we are henceforth able to build fires with sticks and brush. ???

@TLDFAN

yes to the fire pit. iL take it however, imo the game's intention is to kill you. theres only so much you can do to last every resource you have & that includes creating a fire. so there shouldnt be an infinite resource. i could be wrong. lets see what others think :?: im still voting for the fire pit so i can cook fluffy's stinking and overly disgusting reek of death bloodied meat :lol:

Natures intention is for life to grow If it wants to make the struggle to survive. Unless the developers have no respect for us they will try to emulate nature to some extent. How else are you to achieve that sense of "win" if you can't create a long term endurable survival inspite of the factors that exist to eliminate you.

The psychology of defeat and its impendence as it exists right now, knowing you can do nothing to effect endurable and sustainable survival is contrary to the existence of renewable animals, contrary to the very nature of "nature"

I reject that it shouldn't be. While I respect the developers and their game design is improving and becoming deeper and more enjoyable and more challenging, I think the reward for that challenge is once you learn the way, with some luck, and with a lot of skill, a lot of knowing and doing and acquired ability your survival in the sandbox should be a routine certainty once you can and have created those things which will aid you in that.

Example, we can now harvest treatable wound care from the woods, and it is of course necessary to do so in balance against the wolves. However we cannot start fires indoors without matches. We can't move fire making material. We can't start a fire with one match and then light a fire with wood from the first fire, we can't use the torch to start a fire or use the lantern to start a fire, or use a flare to start a fire. We can't use one of the soda cans shined up and polished to create focused light just like the magnifying glass to start a fire, we can't find actual sparking rocks in the wild, and we can't keep a fire burning for longer than 12 hours even though there are ways of doing that for days.

All of those dead ends are not nearly 80/20 of the modeling and they need to be expanded on.

Interestingly, I'm finding a lot more firestrikers now. In v.183, I was lucky to find a single one across both maps. This game, I've found two in PV, one in CH, and one in ML. The two in PV were 70% and 99%. Oh yeah, found a magnifying glass as well (also at 100%). So I could probably light 300-400 fires with just those.

Interestingly, I'm finding a lot more firestrikers now. In v.183, I was lucky to find a single one across both maps. This game, I've found two in PV, one in CH, and one in ML. The two in PV were 70% and 99%. Oh yeah, found a magnifying glass as well (also at 100%). So I could probably light 300-400 fires with just those.

I agree I'm finding more magnifying glasses and firestrikers as well. I don't know if it's a change on the client's end, luck, or if I'm just making it all up in my head but it certainly does seem that there are more available after the patch, so maybe that's due to people's complaints about fires being the game ender for them?

What about a sort of mini game to fire making such as reacting to key prompts, "Q to fan fire", "blow gently", "shield"? If the prompts for keys were random it would reduce repetitiveness.

I also like the idea of first having to light your tinder, then place it into a prepared fire place, that you then need to add in progression smaller/ softer wood to harder. Simply being able to place a fire without lighting it would be an improvement.

If you are freezing, you should shake, making it harder to play the mini-game (using matches with frost bite? I hope you all leave 3 matches sticking out of the box before you leave the cabin, its good survival etiquette).

Being able to transport a burning tinder plug from outside indoors, or using the now flaming torch to light a fire inside from an outside source. ie Using the magnifying glass.

What about a sort of mini game to fire making such as reacting to key prompts, "Q to fan fire", "blow gently", "shield"? If the prompts for keys were random it would reduce repetitiveness.

I also like the idea of first having to light your tinder, then place it into a prepared fire place, that you then need to add in progression smaller/ softer wood to harder. Simply being able to place a fire without lighting it would be an improvement.

If you are freezing, you should shake, making it harder to play the mini-game (using matches with frost bite? I hope you all leave 3 matches sticking out of the box before you leave the cabin, its good survival etiquette).

Being able to transport a burning tinder plug from outside indoors, or using the now flaming torch to light a fire inside from an outside source. ie Using the magnifying glass.

Here is a guy who gets it!

YES YES YES YES YES YES DOUBLE YES to every one of your ideas!

No please no! No press this button now or else you fail and have to start over kind of console gameplay please! Talk about ruining the immersion. Like button mashing to fight a wolf.

While I do like Schamoo's idea's about building a fire etc, would this not get old after starting a few dozen fires? Well, maybe not. I say lets give it a try.

A definite yes to making starting a fire harder when you're cold and transporting a fire using tinder plugs/ torches or a slow match or one of many materials you could use to carry a flame/ ember.

I hope you all leave 3 matches sticking out of the box before you leave the cabin, its good survival etiquette.

Why would you do that? I'd think striking the match would be the hardest part with freezing hands, not taking one from the box?

When your fingers are so cold you have no feeling in the finger tips, so you have no dexterity and manipulating any small objects Is very difficult. If you have a few matches sticking out you can strike them on a zipper or rock or on the box and don't have to pull them out of the box. Or if you do pull them out of the box you can make a scissors motion with your fingers to mount the matches between them and hold them like that.

Well, that would only work with strike anywhere matches, wouldn't it? The safety matches I have lying around the house will not light when you strike them on any other surface than the striking surface on the box.

But I see how it would be possible to clamp your frozen fingers around a match that's sticking out of the box so that you can then try and strike it on the box. That would probably increase your chances a bit. But would it not be easier still to use a zippo lighter or one of those one handed fire striker.

Well, that would only work with strike anywhere matches, wouldn't it? The safety matches I have lying around the house will not light when you strike them on any other surface than the striking surface on the box.

But I see how it would be possible to clamp your frozen fingers around a match that's sticking out of the box so that you can then try and strike it on the box. That would probably increase your chances a bit. But would it not be easier still to use a zippo lighter or one of those one handed fire striker.

Frozen fingers are frozen fingers. Hard to say what works best.

Frozen fingers are frozen fingers. Hard to say what works best.

True, but both a zippo and a one handed fire striker don't require much dexterity, you just need to be able to hold them. If you can't manage that, you won't mange holding a match that is much smaller either.

A zippo can be lit by holding it in your hand and moving it over your pants. A one handed fire striker can be placed into the tinder and you only need to push it down to create sparks from the ferrorod.

Not saying that would be easy with frozen fingers, but it seems easier than trying to get a match lit to me.

I really like this idea, especially if you could make different tiers of fire. Like a fire pit.

Also, since the devs seem to be playing around with the impact of wind a lot (i.e. wolves tracking smell on the wind etc.) maybe you could be able to construct small barricades using reclaimed wood (you know, just like a foot high or so) that help block the wind from your fire.

One thing that's a bit unrealistic is you only gain experience when you successfully light a fire. Humans learn by trial and error: when you fail, you analyze and try again, this time with experience from the failed attempt. I believe starting a fire, fail or success, should increase your fire starting skill. Maybe success should not increase your skill, but failure definitely should.

This is risky, these mini games usually made poorly, but in case of Hinterland after I saw the safe unlocking mini game, yeah, I definitely want to see what they may bring out from a fire starting - match lighting- shaking hands mini game :D

I am sure they wish us to hell... :D but actually it may break up the boredom after a tiring long walk if the mini game made well.

the matches firestriker and magnifying glass are the right tools now.. no need to add flint, zippos.

theres really no need to craft your own fire, whats the purpose of the game's theme How long can you Survive if you can make your own fire and live longer. Balancing is needed in the game, not adding or crafting.

Thanks for dismissing every idea in the thread all at once on your first day here poster. Have you ever played the game?

the matches firestriker and magnifying glass are the right tools now.. no need to add flint, zippos.

theres really no need to craft your own fire, whats the purpose of the game's theme How long can you Survive if you can make your own fire and live longer. Balancing is needed in the game, not adding or crafting.

Thanks for dismissing every idea in the thread all at once on your first day here poster. Have you ever played the game?

Lol it's as if losing fire is the only way of dying? We just don't want fire to be some inevitable ender of our lives (especially since that's not super realistic)

Archived