What references would you love to see in this game?

alexander

I really think some form of pancakes and beards are in order. Maybe you find a random cabin in the wilderness. Once you go inside you find uneaten pancakes just sitting on the table. Once you do a bit more searching around the cabin you find that the guy who owned this place was a guy with a humongous beard (through pictures and journals you find around the place). Perhaps give him a silly first name, last name, or nickname like McBeardly. You learn of his tale and find clues of his disappearance throughout the journey. Maybe make him a visible character in the next episode just as a twist?

I'd honestly love to see some sort of kickstarter reference in this game. As well as a few others nonkickstarter references. Not all of it has to be a joke since this is a serious game, but even then you can make something like "McBeardly's tales" both light hearted and serious.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hinterland logo cut into trees and cabins scatter across the game world (and not all at the same level). All only visible when character is looking north [tribute to "The Great White North']. Maybe finding (e.g. 25 of the symbols) would trigger access to a compass or something.

Just want to find some hidden Hinterland references buried deep inside the game.

Oh --- and a jar of yellow liquid!

Some references to the KS campaign would be cool perhaps the population of the nearest largest city can be displayed on a sign and it could equal the number of backers from KS. Maybe a password into a survivor camp can be pancakes or beards. The devs should definitely put pictures of themselves in hard to reach buildings or areas.

You can have all of my compasses Bill. They will be worthless in TLD. :-)

Ahhhh that's right - forgot about the Aurorae... well, maybe finding them could mean a special item is activated to be found, or some lonely NPC gives you their canteen (before trying to kill you)

hmmm... *makes note to check what liquid is in any canteen found before drinking it*

I would like to see a dice pop up into the game, and for a chapter you solely made decisions on what is thrown. It could be a veiled reference to "Sheldon" from The Big Bang Theory (My all time favourite show) where in one episode he ate, traveled, work, watched on TV and everything in his daily life came about by rolling the dice.

I love the concept, and have known of people to even do this IRL to either have a change, or to live life on the edge, not knowing what was around the corner.

This could be a Mini-game or as i said a chapter, but in a survival situation, would you roll the dice to make life changing decisions for you ???

I think not . . . . . Moooooooohahahahahhahahaha

A bus in the middle of nowhere that says "Fairbanks City Transit System" 142, with Alexander Supertramp's/Christopher McCandless' artifacts around and within it.

As somebody who lives in Fairbanks currently, and has lived in miscellaneous parts of Alaska for a while, we really do not like to be associated with that guy. Feel free to throw in a dead guy sitting up against a bus, but please leave Fairbanks out of it.

A bus in the middle of nowhere that says "Fairbanks City Transit System" 142, with Alexander Supertramp's/Christopher McCandless' artifacts around and within it.

As somebody who lives in Fairbanks currently, and has lived in miscellaneous parts of Alaska for a while, we really do not like to be associated with that guy. Feel free to throw in a dead guy sitting up against a bus, but please leave Fairbanks out of it.

No, no body, just the bus (which has "Fairbanks" painted on it, that's where it came from and that can't be escaped; there's more than one abandoned bus in the wilderness and I'm referring specifically to this one) and a pile of books or some gear.

I know Alaskans don't like to be associated, but it did happen there. McCandless wasn't Alaskan, didn't know Alaska, and he wasn't prepared for the conditions he was in. He survived for four months before seeds that he and his plant book didn't know were highly toxic did him in.

Ooh, people are saying references to the Kickstarter, but why not be mysterious about it and put in a piece of paper on the floor of a cabin somewhere with a bunch of seemingly random numbers, but they would actually pertain to the date the project was fully backed, the final backed amount, etc.

Players of the game that weren't involved in the initial Kickstarter would have no clue what it meant, and they'd have no way of finding out without doing some actual research. So it could be our little secret...

Archived