Counter for Faithful Cartographer achievement

ideaidea

Please add a way to audit the progress of the Faithful Cartographer achievement.

A simple global counter showing "[mapped count] of [total count=177]" would be fine. It would let the user know they are making progress, and it would help them to count up what's missing. It wouldn't rely on processes subject to human error and would serve as a sanity check to make sure people aren't losing their minds when they go through all the maps against the posted list and check off every last one. You could get fancier if you wanted to, having a per-map count, a checklist, or even listing the locations that will be mapped when you hold charcoal.

Currently trying to get this achievement, and as far as I can tell I have everything mapped (I checked the list three times: take that, Santa). The only ones on the official list that I'm not sure of are the "Leave [region]" icons. Several of my maps have "To [other region]" icons, and I can't figure out if that's wrong or not. Remapping at those spots does not change it. In Broken Railroad, I do have both icons overlapping, but everywhere else I either have one or the other (most places being "To [region]"). I've spent scores of charcoal trying to remap them again to see if I can get it to say "Leave [region]" but it doesn't do.

I have 11 "To [region]" icons, and if there were a built-in counter, I could easily check if I am missing exactly 11 or more or less to know what to do here.

(These say "To [region]": both ends of the rail in Mystery Lake ("To Forlorn Muskeg" and "To Ravine"); two in Coastal Highway ("To Ravine" and "To Crumbling Highway"); one in Pleasant Valley ("To Timberwolf Mountain"); both ends of the rail in Forlorn Muskeg ("To Mystery Lake" and "To Broken Railroad"); one in Mountain Town ("To Forlorn Muskeg"); both ends of the rail in Ravine ("To Mystery Lake" and "To Coastal Highway"); one in Crumbling Highway ("To Coastal Highway"). If there's some magic incantation to get the "Leave [region]" icons, please send word. I tried mapping as soon as I enter a region, tried going to where you leave, turning around and mapping, tried mapping from a distance, etc.)

(On the other side of things, doing this achievement has taught me the maps I didn't already know, especially Hushed River Valley.)

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't see how to edit, so replying to clear up the "To [region]" icons I worried about. They are fine. If you run into them, don't worry.

If you have all the locations in the list, do not lose faith! You may be missing one yet, but you'll find your way (the total needed is 178 or 179, not 177). I had an epiphany, technological in nature, and I was carried by the wind over to Desolation Point. Emerging from that dark and suffocating mineshaft, I made my way to the one aptly-named location that's not on the official list, and I mapped it, furiously marking with my charcoal, and lo! the achievement came. But it would have been easier if there was an in-game way to let me know, and unless it's a cheeky joke the developers should add that one missing location to the list.

I pray this helps if anyone else runs into trouble.

12 hours ago, nicko said:

what was the location name? Im still frustrated with this mapping as well. Pretty much been everywhere and still can't get it.

Stone Church in Desolation Point was the final one (or two, since it's an icon and a location trigger) for me. I had each one from the list, but it's not on the list. Like I said, not sure if it was supposed to be a subtle joke since it's "Faithful Cartographer" and churches are a place for the faithful.