Anyone else getting account locked because of hack attempts?

Anyone else having problems like that? Seems lately in the past couple of weeks it has happend 2 or 3 times. Makes me wonder. why would anyone hack a forums account? Really like oh you hacked my account omg. Like it doesnt take that long to make a new one but still makes me wonder why. Just seems like someone doesnt have anything to do.

We haven’t seen any evidence of people trying to hack the forums but will look into your account and see if we can see weird IP activity. 

Thanks for the notice. In the future feel free to DM stuff like this to this account. 

- The Hinterland Team

I have been seeing something similar.  Once a week (or so)  I will open the site, and not be logged in.  If I try to login right away, it tells me my account is locked after too many attempts.  If I close the browser and come back a couple hours later, I can log in without any issues.  This started cropping up in June.

(nothing has changed on my end, in terms of browser or suchlike)

Just as an update,

We've taken a look at the IP addresses associated with both @Blankshield and @TheUnknown to see if there were any obvious attempts to hack their accounts. While we can't for sure tell that there haven't been it appears as if all login attempts are at least geographically similar to where they live. (We're not going to share where they live here in public). So the city / state (or province) matches.

There aren't a lot of odd login attempts from unexpected countries, such as the user lives in Canada but suddenly is trying to login from across the world at 4 am.

We will keep looking into it, but currently we don't expect that anyone is trying to hack our forum accounts. 

Having said that good password protocol is always advised. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 7/1/2019 at 4:18 AM, TheUnknown said:

why would anyone hack a forums account?

If you hack any account of anyone anywhere chances are the same credentials are used elsewhere, including crucial things like mail and online shops, which can give further access to things like credit cards and/or subsequent identity theft. That's why it can be worth it to hack something as mundane and trivial (from an exposure perspective) as an online forum.

4 hours ago, stratvox said:

The always classic:

I keep telling customers (website owners) this. They will never get it, and hence the internet forever will be a dumpyard of insucure leetspeech. And people worry about quantum cryptography ....

Thanks admin. I always try to change passwords on sites on a regular basis (not all sites on the same time frame) Since i mention this the lock outs have stopped and ive ran scans so maybe i just got unlucky and the problem was my end. Thanks again.