Does everyone remember?

Tbone555

Does everyone remember the early days?

When the insulated boots were the best clothing item in the game. When the woodpeckers would peck on metal and everyone wondered why they heard a cell phone ringing? When the entire ocean was frozen. When the original forestry lookout was still standing... Btw that was my favorite location in the game and I'll never forgive you hinterland ;)... or how about when we saw a snow shovel on the main menu? Before custom difficulty. Before the forge. Anyone remember the original survivor interface? Having to do without a radial menu? When cooking was as simple as selecting the item and time automatically passing. Before we needed cooking utensils, before skill trees, before layered clothing.

Those were the days.

• Upvote 6

Er... I prefer the game as it is now. Back when I first started playing, I died repeatedly because I expected to need a cooking container to boil water in. 

Now that we do need an empty can or a cooking pot to melt and boil water in, it actually makes sense.

The layering system is broken though... Because putting a toque on over a ski mask should add to the windchill protection, not reduce it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ape88 said:

The layering system is broken though... Because putting a toque on over a ski mask should add to the windchill protection, not reduce it.

Agreed.  Everything should stack, really.  Warmth, wetness, and the hit to your sprint meter all stack, but windchill and defense do not.  That is very counter-intuitive, and a tad nonsensical.  Why would combat pants suddenly lose all protective value because you wore them under another set of pants?  If you're wearing two coats and two shirts, that's four layers that a bite would have to penetrate.  That's a lot of padding that can help soften an impact. Everything should stack.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 3

Of course we all prefer the game in its updated state, but it's very important to remember where we came from! I'm so glad that I was lucky enough to hear about the game and buy it in game preview early on in its development. I remember watching Jacksepticeye play this on YouTube thinking "man this is never gonna make it to Xbox."

And a month later it was released on game preview! I jumped at the chance. And I can't help but reminisce on the old days as I play the game as it is now. I would love to some how get hold of an older build of the game just to go back and experience that again :D

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Martin Prchal said:

I came after the cooking update and I have to say I don't know how you guys did it the old way :D

It was a dark, but much simpler time. I can't remember when they updated the dam - did you ever get to meet fluffy? I miss fluffy. She was my first death!

I do remember playing with the backer release.  Have to say, I played for a couple hours and "shelved" the game until it "had some kinks worked out".  I think I would load it up periodically to see the progress being made.  Not sure what version I started to put in some serious hours but around 3 yrs ago.  I do like the direction HL is taking the game!

17 hours ago, Martin Prchal said:

I came after the cooking update and I have to say I don't know how you guys did it the old way :D

Cooking and boiling marathons, basically.  Like spend a couple days slaving over a stove boiling up like a hundred liters of water and sleep off the exhaustion damage, and then that was your supply for the next month or whatever.  Meat also took a lot less time to cook.  I think it was like 20 minutes per piece of meat, or something like that.  The new system really changed the game in a major way, because places like the Pleasant Valley Farmstead with that six-burner stove now have a significant advantage over someplace safer, like the Mystery Lake Camp Office.  A small but vocal minority got really upset over how it nerfed their play style.  But most people could appreciate the benefits.  Every single one of my games since then, I create what I now call "Bear Processing Stations" which is basically a sheltered environment with like 20 campfires and mountains of sticks, so I can cook a whole bear in an hour.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

It was a dark, but much simpler time. I can't remember when they updated the dam - did you ever get to meet fluffy? I miss fluffy. She was my first death!

No, I never got to meet Fluffy. I have heard many stories about her for sure. However, I have met her cousin in HRV.

1 hour ago, Martin Prchal said:

No, I never got to meet Fluffy. I have heard many stories about her for sure. However, I have met her cousin in HRV.

56 minutes ago, dead frozen dude said:

She were a sweet girl, weren't she?

screen_6e1c978a-afac-4b08-8bac-64d9afdd59fb_hi.thumb.png.ff3c550a411e1b5cffa29f5fd32281b7.png (Screenshot timestamped 24 July 2017)

I like to think that upon being evicted from the dam due to lack of space via renovation, fluffy packed all her things and moved out to coastal highway where she found a mate and had lots of puppies and had a long and fruitful life. I miss you fluffy. Forever in our hearts 😢

When I came on board, Mystery Lake was the only region in the sandbox...

I love how much this game has grown, and look forward to seeing how much it will grow by the time all the planned episodes are completed.

I saw a review of this game done rather recently (a little over a month ago)... just a random-ish YouTuber sharing their first impressions of the game.  Being able to see the game through the eyes of someone just discovering it has made me realize just how spoiled some of us (who have been with the game a long time) have become.  :D 

Seeing the game from a "new comer's perspective" again has given me a much better appreciation for the wonderful game we have... and a far less critical attitude about updates and changes.

Edited by ManicManiac

Guest jeffpeng
On 7/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, ajb1978 said:

Agreed.  Everything should stack, really.  Warmth, wetness, and the hit to your sprint meter all stack, but windchill and defense do not.  That is very counter-intuitive, and a tad nonsensical.  Why would combat pants suddenly lose all protective value because you wore them under another set of pants?  If you're wearing two coats and two shirts, that's four layers that a bite would have to penetrate.  That's a lot of padding that can help soften an impact. Everything should stack.

That would require a serious rebalance of a lot of values in the game, but I agree. It always bothers me that all of these clothing items have all values, but on anything other than your outermost layers only "static" warmth matters.

On topic: I came on shortly after the Timberwolve Mountain update, early 2016. I do honestly prefer today's state of the game very much to the many states inbetween, although I personally found the state the game was in after Vigilant Flame to be more concise than it is now. But I've expressed ad nauseum that I'm not a big fan of Redux and Steadfast Ranger.

There are a few things I think they should have kept. I still believe that brands were the better mechanic opposed to be able to pull billions of torches for free. I preferred brandishing over "bouncing" torches towards wolves. Fluffy is sorely missed, even though I prefer the new dam over the old one. Trapper's Homestead was more "removed" when it wasn't a waypoint to Milton, and I liked that. I prefered the cutscenes over the First Person dialogues in Story Mode. But all in all the game is much more polished than back when I first got it, and while it is probably natural to not agree with everything, I think the overall course Sandbox has taken is good. Not sure about Story Mode, but hey, who plays that anyways :D

I personally think the single best change to the game was Vigilant Flame. Not only did it make cooking an interactive and interesting concept, it also added Hushed River Valley, which brought back the same excitement and intrigue I felt when I was first visiting Timberwolf Mountain two years prior. Both regions embody the "true spirit" of the game, at least as I like to see it, and both regions are examples of expert level design that simply doesn't get old.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:14 PM, Tbone555 said:

I would love to some how get hold of an older build of the game just to go back and experience that again :D

On 7/4/2019 at 7:08 PM, Martin Prchal said:

On 7/5/2019 at 12:30 PM, hozz1235 said:

But you can go back.  You should go back.  Rolling back to earlier versions is easy.  At least it is on Steam...

Go back and play any 2015 version and compare it to today and you too will wonder where did the time go.  

• 2 months later...

What I miss most is ... not knowing the maps. Struggling as a real landed stranger in a wilderness landscape.  With death around every corner. Listening for sounds. 

Not knowing the wolf patrol zones or the exploits to just whiff them away. To run to safety in fear. To take you from loot and to feel every day as an achievement. 

Those were the days.

• Upvote 1