Let's talk hunting spots.

Tbone555

Where do all my fellow survivors like to hunt in the long dark? My personal favorite spot, as long as you have a revolver to fend off the wolves easily, is the Unnamed Pond in mystery lake. This is a PRIME location in my opinion, especially when you get lucky and catch that moose spawn zone in your game. In my latest sandbox, I've never tried hunting there. But it happened to be my moose spawn, which is why I set up in the cabin to begin with. I quickly realized, I'm mere FEET away from a moose spawn, a bear spawn, a wolf spawn, AND a deer spawn all in the same area. I took down a moose, a bear, and about 5 wolves in my week spent at this location waiting for that moose hide to cure. It's also a great spawn for old man's beard and I think there's rose hips pretty close by too. It's just an amazing location to set up and hunt with shelter mere feet away. If only this location consisted of a stove and work bench, man I might just settle down here.

So tell me, where do y'all love to take in the scenery and take down some animals in the quiet apocalypse?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Bear: PV's barn (tractor), Spruce Falls bridge (cars), CH fishing hut with door, or wherever there's something I can hide in without losing sight of the bear and I can attract its attention again by throwing stones. Clbing on a steep hill with a ledge to jump onto is good as well. I tend to be aggressive with bears if I plan on staying.

Deer: Raven Falls Ravine, hands down. No wolves.

Moose: I usually attack on sight, no time to be picky, it's a rare opportunity.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

Bear: PV's barn (tractor), Spruce Falls bridge (cars), CH fishing hut with door, or wherever there's something I can hide in without losing sight of the bear and I can attract its attention again by throwing stones. Clbing on a steep hill with a ledge to jump onto is good as well. I tend to be aggressive with bears if I plan on staying.

Deer: Raven Falls Ravine, hands down. No wolves.

Moose: I usually attack on sight, no time to be picky, it's a rare opportunity.

I've always heard of people using cars and fishing huts to hunt bears but I've never used them. I prefer the challenge ;) that bear I took down showed up and stalked me for 3 nights while I cooked my moose meat. I guess he liked the way it smelled. The 3rd night I had enough and put about 8 bullets in him between my revolver and rifle! Next morning I found him dead by the pond :D

oddly enough, even with a level 2 rifle skill I dropped my moose instantly with one bullet. It was the first moose I ever hunted and I didn't anticipate it to be so easy.

Heh  my favorite place to hunt is the ravine because there is always a couple deer spawning once in a while, some rabbits but best of all no wolves to harass you when you are harvesting the meat and a nice warm cave to sleep in and cure your hides :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

I've really started liking ML from the office and run a deer down the tracks into a wolf that's just about always patrolling the area. Since my bow skills are still lacking, I usually harvest the deer and then truck it back to the office and hunt up the wolf the next day. Thank you Canadian crows! Between the wolves on the lake and railway, you can get a wolf jacket in a short time, with the added free deer carcass.

For bear, CH, far east edge is a bear patrol area you can snipe the bear and run your ass in the house over there. I've not had many wolf issues over that way before. On the ice between jack rabbit and misanthropes islands, that bear patrol sometimes has too many Fluffy offspring for my comfort. Plus its a LONG way up that hill running with a mad bear behind you. 

Moose, have yet to find one sadly.

• Upvote 1

I really like that pond in Milton near the trailer.  Little bit in one direction and there's wolves galore, there's a good chance for moose at the pond, there's rabbits and deer.  If you feel the need for hunting bear you can mosey up the road a bit and find one pretty consistently

Milton Basin's got to be up there?

For rabbits, I've recently discovered that the little pond just over the hill from Mackenzie's plane crash is absolutely teeming with them. I play with all animal spawns on "Low", so normally there's not more than 2 or 3 in any one place, but that little pond has a good 7 or 8 all together! (Until you start killing them, natch.)

Quonset Hut in DP.  All within steps of the hut are wolves, deer, a bear and the rare moose.  Every time I visit the hut, I have a bear who patrols right in back of the hut to clear out.  I never have far to haul the meat and the floor of the hut has a lot of space to cure hides.  Fishing and beach combing are nearby too.

-G

Deer: Coastal Highway or Mystery Lake.  Head out onto the ice.  Chase deer into wolf, scare wolf with repeated rock bombardment.  Harvest deer.  Chase next deer into wolf.  Scare wolf with repeated rock bombardment.  Repeat until all deer are harvested.  Shoot wolf, harvest wolf too.

Bear: Coastal Highway.  Use a car or fishing hut for risk-free hunting.

Moose: Coastal Highway if I'm lucky, but Broken Railroad since I seem to have much better luck on moose spawns there, and there's that sweet 6-burner stove right by the moose spawn.

Mountaineer's Hut on Timberwolf Mountain:
There is a good chance that you will have all the game you could ever want reasonably close by.  In my run right now, it's a prime location.  We have wolves/deer/rabbits right on or near Crystal Lake, a moose close by, and a bear close by that can be easily baited back to the lake.  In addition there is the fishing hut on Crystal Lake (good for fishing, shelter, or a makeshift hunter's blind) :) 

Guest jeffpeng
On 6/29/2019 at 4:27 PM, Tbone555 said:

oddly enough, even with a level 2 rifle skill I dropped my moose instantly with one bullet. It was the first moose I ever hunted and I didn't anticipate it to be so easy.

You can score a critical hit with the bow or rifle (possibly the revolver?) at any skill level. The chance is just pretty damn low depending on where you hit. My frist moose encounter went something like yours. Many others since have, others have ended in putting six arrows into the sucker and still being trampled. Moose are a bit like the Deathstar. Basically invincible, but if you hit just the right spot they blow up for no apparent reason. Good thing they don't have giant death lasers. Well, most of them don't.

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

scare wolf with repeated rock bombardment

I just walk up and put a campfire in front of his nose. Just right so I can cook the deer afterwards .... ^^

6 hours ago, Pillock said:

Milton Basin's got to be up there?

One of my favorite spots as well. Deer, Moose, Wolves, Rabbits .... good respawn rates, good weather, a lovely cave. A good place to live.

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Mountaineer's Hut on Timberwolf Mountain

While that one deer is not enough to keep you sustained very long, if you have no problem "diversifying" your diet with some bear and wolf, you can get really, really far. A second bear isn't that far away, and the forest where the moose spawns has more deer and more wolves. The two rabbit runs are a bit meh, but good enough to supplement you. Biggest upside: The hut is "outside" even when being inside, meaning no freak despawns. Sigh.... Favorite Region for a reason.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the Maintenance Yard in Broken Railroad. I know, it's a "bit" cheesy, and you will probably get parasites if you aren't a master chef yet, but just make sure you smell really, really bad, hunker down on that pipe in the yard, and it's target shooting from there. The wolf spawn rates are so crazy you'll have a hard time eating them all, even in late Interloper, and since the bear will visit you, too, there really is no conceivable way to run out of food. Ever. And if you feel like you need a change of diet there are two deer spawns near the lake, plus the Moose at the Lodge @ajb1978 mentioned. They call that region broken for a reason. Just bring a lot of saplings. You'll need them.

Edited by jeffpeng

I have to give it up for Milton Basin. I have a strong affinity for using the farmstead as my base, and before I even head down the rope there's always rabbit and deer. Wolves spawn regularly in the area, birch and maple littered all over, Moose spawn point, shelter with a stove AND storage in the broken cabin, connects to Forlorn Muskeg for a quick trip to a forge to craft more arrowheads or a knife or a hatchet...Milton Basin is my favorite hunting spot hands down. The only thing it's missing is an area to fish. Still have to travel to Mystery Lake if I need to build up a store of lamp fuel.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the Quonset Gas Station for me.

1168955360_Screenshot(2705).thumb.png.95e827d15bd3c33cdd13c5c89240aff6.png

I have a chosen hunting spot for each region basically but I have a thing for organizing my stock and I find the gas station the perfect place to do that. I don't mind the plague of wolves lurking about and the occasional bear - more hides, guts and meat for me, it's a haven basically. Other places I favor would be Paradise Meadows Farmstead and ML where fair game can be found. ML is particularly nice because fishing huts which are a shorter distance to each other compared to the ones in CH. Paradise Meadows since there's an abundance in rabbits along with a fair spawn of wolves and deer within the farm area.

From pleasent valley farmhouse towards the barn you have plenty of deer in the field with no wolves, the river can serve as a guide back home if you hit a blizzard. 

Also from the farmhouse if you follow the road and go right after the bridge theres a derelict shed in some woods where you can hunt two more deer and take shelter from the cold. 

Hushed river valley has some interesting hunting grounds if you're in for a challenge. 

There are two places where there is usually a bear that is very easy to kill, with a place to pop into to avoid a mauling if you only would the bear.

There is a place where I often find a moose that is easily and safely killed, although it can take quite a time as it rushes off and only slowly wanders back if you only wound it.

I won't spoil your game by saying where they are.

I've been trying out custom settings that feature low numbers of passive wildlife that diminishes over time.  Respawn set to longest interval.  I have the animals' detection range set far away.  What's been happening is basically a competition with the wolves.  I can't get near them unless they are eating one of the few deer or rabbits. Even then, they often take off before I can get em. Hunting bears is easier, but I mostly take long range shots and wait for hours. This is to conserve ammo. I wasted a bunch early on going after wolves from distance. I have intestinal parasites turned on, so bear and wolf meat has to be spread out between other foods.  I'm not far enough along to see how sparse it's going to get, but what I'm finding is that I have to keep moving around to all the best hunting spots and get what I can before the wolves do.  

One spot I've always liked is the Abandoned Lookout in Coastal Highway.  Small stove, but good view.

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim

15 hours ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

I've been trying out custom settings that feature low numbers of passive wildlife that diminishes over time.  Respawn set to longest interval.  I have the animals' detection range set far away.  What's been happening is basically a competition with the wolves.  I can't get near them unless they are eating one of the few deer or rabbits. Even then, they often take off before I can get em. Hunting bears is easier, but I mostly take long range shots and wait for hours. This is to conserve ammo. I wasted a bunch early on going after wolves from distance. I have intestinal parasites turned on, so bear and wolf meat has to be spread out between other foods.  I'm not far enough along to see how sparse it's going to get, but what I'm finding is that I have to keep moving around to all the best hunting spots and get what I can before the wolves do.  

One spot I've always liked is the Abandoned Lookout in Coastal Highway.  Small stove, but good view.

I've killed wolves mainly because they aggro me.  I've never had a need to "hunt" them.  Scare 'em off and take their kills!