Timberwolf Cowl...

ManicManiac

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Wow, that's an original idea. Not like that boring wolfskin hooded cape.

I'm not sure that the sarcasm was necessary  :D 

Yep, this is far from a new idea and it's been on the wish lists for years.  Many have posted about wanting a "wolf-head hat/hood/cloak/cape" (whatever way you would like to describe it), and I've been one of those that have posted about it in the past as well.  Now that we have a new and "unique" animal, it would seem appropriate to have a craftable item made from it... much like every other unique animal in the game.

Is it original? Nope!
It's just been on a lot of wish lists in the past, and it seemed like a good time to ping the idea again. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm sure the wolf hood idea isn't so new, but after three days and seven steps away in the list it's close to reposting.

That said, who knows if "timberwolf" is a true new animal or just some toughened up wolfie, to point out Astrid is smaller and weaker than Will, and she shouldn't go around carelessly hacking at big toothy dawgs. 

Edited by Doc Feral

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

That said, who knows if "timberwolf" is a true new animal or just some toughened up wolfie, to point out Astrid is smaller and weaker than Will, and she shouldn't go around carelessly hacking at big toothy dawgs. 

Says who? Survival Mode has the male and female characters exactly the same, no difference in starting skills between either gender. Both are exactly the same. We haven't yet had the chance to play Astrid in Wintemute, to say if male vs female has any difference in skills or strength between Will and Astrid. Seems to me you are the one with a gender bias, not Hinterland. Will is going to have to deal with them as well, when we play him again in future Wintermute Episodes. Me? I look forward to playing a strong female character in Story Mode, like I get to in Survival Mode.

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
17 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I'm sure the wolf hood idea isn't so new, but after three days and seven steps away in the list it's close to reposting.

That said, who knows if "timberwolf" is a true new animal or just some toughened up wolfie, to point out Astrid is smaller and weaker than Will, and she shouldn't go around carelessly hacking at big toothy dawgs. 

She's smaller but definitely not weaker than Will, which you will discover in Episode Three.

Let's keep the generalizations and ignorance around genders to a minimum, please. 

• Upvote 7
  • Like 5

Comments removed. 

Staff had already asked to move off of the discussion of gender equality. 

Please do not bring it up again even if you think you’re being sly about it. 

Update: This goes for whatever side of the issue you are on. 

Thank you. 

• Like 3

The cowl would be great. Thinking of other things that might be crafted from a Timber Wolf pelt, since they seem to be a bit larger then our regular wolves- a blanket. Been asked for quite a few times on wish List threads, here and on Steam. Would be good for when you have no bedroll. Would maybe be able to be used alone or with a bedroll for added warmth. Used when sleeping in a vehicle, or on a bed. Probably not terribly necessary in Pilgrim or Voyageur, but in Stalker and Interloper, where you have to wait for your fire to overcome ambient air temps before it starts warming you, a blanket you could wrap in while waiting would be amazing.

Not getting my hopes up too much for it, but... what do you do with the left-over pelt after cutting the head and neck area off for the cowl?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

The cowl would be great. Thinking of other things that might be crafted from a Timber Wolf pelt, since they seem to be a bit larger then our regular wolves- a blanket. Been asked for quite a few times on wish List threads, here and on Steam.

That would be an interesting addition as well :) 

I've always been of the mind that having more options is always more fun than having fewer.  The more options we have, the more we get to be creative both with our gameplay and the narratives we craft for ourselves in the survival sandbox.  I think the addition of the Timberwolf just by itself may have wonderful possibilities.  Though it does feel like it's just filling the roll of an alpha wolf, at least from what I read... but this also seems a great first step toward having more dynamic and pack behavior.

I'm excited to see how this will play out... it is possible that the Timberwolf will be exclusive to Episode 3 though (much like the Old Bear was for Episode 2).  There is no way to know yet if the Timberwolf will cross over to the survival sandbox.  I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

:) Either way... looking forward to this.

Edited by ManicManiac

52 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

The cowl would be great. Thinking of other things that might be crafted from a Timber Wolf pelt, since they seem to be a bit larger then our regular wolves- a blanket. Been asked for quite a few times on wish List threads, here and on Steam. Would be good for when you have no bedroll. Would maybe be able to be used alone or with a bedroll for added warmth. Used when sleeping in a vehicle, or on a bed. Probably not terribly necessary in Pilgrim or Voyageur, but in Stalker and Interloper, where you have to wait for your fire to overcome ambient air temps before it starts warming you, a blanket you could wrap in while waiting would be amazing.

Not getting my hopes up too much for it, but... what do you do with the left-over pelt after cutting the head and neck area off for the cowl?

maybe they can be used for repairs for the coat? or possibly a pair of mittens

Guest jeffpeng
18 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Timberwolf Hide Rocket Launcher.

That is all.

You figured it all out. AGAIN. I'm stunned. Plus I want my Rocket Launcher now. 

Guest jeffpeng
On 7/2/2019 at 5:12 AM, Skelegutplays said:

Rabbitskin grenades and and bearskin landmines would also be neat.

I guess having stag powered cruise missiles and a moosehide tank is inevitable at this juncture. Who ever said that community driven game development would be bad?

On topic, btw: I don't feel that a new cowl would really add to the game other than aestetics - which would be totally fine if we could actually see it on "us" anywhere else than the paperdoll screen. The rabbitskin hat thingy already does everything a craftable hat should do. It's probably already the best self-made clothing item compared to others (as it doesn't have any penalties attached to it like the bearskin coat, etc), and it's made from abundant rabbit skins. I would harshly vote against a timberwolve cowl that would have better stats.

That bein said: I would personally like to see some of the less premium clothing items having multiple ways of being achieved. There is no real reason wolfskin pants wouldn't work, as well as a coat made of deerskin, etc. So having a timberwolve cowl as an alternative path to basically the same item wouldn't hurt.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:35 PM, ManicManiac said:

I'm not sure that the sarcasm was necessary  :D 

Yep, this is far from a new idea and it's been on the wish lists for years.  Many have posted about wanting a "wolf-head hat/hood/cloak/cape" (whatever way you would like to describe it), and I've been one of those that have posted about it in the past as well.  Now that we have a new and "unique" animal, it would seem appropriate to have a craftable item made from it... much like every other unique animal in the game.

Is it original? Nope!
It's just been on a lot of wish lists in the past, and it seemed like a good time to ping the idea again. :) 

I would just like more craftable stuff to use animal skins for period. Not just clothing either.

• Upvote 3

On a serious note, I would hope that it's anything except a coat.  We already have three craftable coat options, but only one kind of hat, mitten, pants, and boots.  And if the Timberwolf is a separate animal, I REALLY hope harvested hides aren't just ordinary wolf pelts.

Timberwolf hide motorcycle helmet, to go along with the cattail Ducati.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Well, now it is pretty obvious that timberwolf is new in-game animal and after next bigger update it will be on survival mode also. Could timberwolf jacket still be on coming craftable item? It would be nice to able to have some "extra" protection from those bas...ds.

Still hoping for a craftable blankie. Add an extra bit or warmth to a bedroll or bed, or to snowshelter or vehicle used for sleeping, if you don't have a bedroll with you for some reason.  Sitting in a car waiting for Old Grumpy Bear to stop pacing around it? [Use] blanket to give a few degrees more warmth while you wait.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Still hoping for a craftable blankie. Add an extra bit or warmth to a bedroll or bed, or to snowshelter or vehicle used for sleeping, if you don't have a bedroll with you for some reason.  Sitting in a car waiting for Old Grumpy Bear to stop pacing around it? [Use] blanket to give a few degrees more warmth while you wait.

That would be neat.  It would have to be an auto-use item, or possibly an Accessory item, in order to be able to use it concurrently with a bedroll.  Similar to how a bedroll is auto-used when sleeping in vehicles.

5 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

It would be cool if you could also wrap it around your head/body.

Agreed I think there should be some sort of craftable item.

I found myself wondering about this while playing ep3.

Even if it is just for Interloper mode, I think whatever is craftable with Timberwolf pelts, should give a massive boost to wolf fear chance. To reward the risk of taking out multiple/a whole pack of timber wolves.

Maybe even some kind of wolfhead staff, that's used similar to the bear spear. Can be used to ward of even a charging wolf.

Probably a ridiculous idea but ,first thing that came to mind other than giving us something we already have capability to craft.(coat, hat and gloves etc)

On 6/30/2019 at 6:56 AM, ajb1978 said:

Timberwolf Hide Rocket Launcher.

That is all.

How about we just get to use the harpoon gun on the Riken.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:45 AM, sierra 117 said:

Maybe even some kind of wolfhead staff, that's used similar to the bear spear. Can be used to ward of even a charging wolf.

I really don’t want any thing does things because reasons. All so I don’t like this from a gameplay stand point.