The ability to drain gasoline from the speakers at the gas station.

AlexandraRussia

Hello everybody , I don't know were this idea from someone else or not.If anyone has such an idea then I apologize .I don't follow other players ' ideas. Here's the idea As far as I know the game the village on the coastal highway there's a gas station. It would not be bad residual fuel that was left at the gas station how it would be possible to drain into the canister.Can all, the remnants of and remained.People who lived there still do not need. And survivors not necessary.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

I always wondered why you can't drain cars. Most seem to have been abandoned after they broke down after the aurora. There still should be some fuel left.

I could see that working. The gas stations in Milton and the Coastal Townsite both have pumps. If you approach one during an aurora, and have a Jerry can in your inventory, let us pump some "lamp oil".  Not that I ever have a shortage of lamp oil (I fish a lot) but it would be a nice feature. 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, AlexandraRussia said:

Are you serious ?. Well, gasoline helps to light the fire, it is still useful for the torch.And what else is the use of it. Experienced players will tell you.

After I posted that question, I kind of regret it...

I understand it could be used as Accelerant but gasoline is very "combustible" (i.e. burns/explodes quickly).  Yes, could be used on a torch, but I wouldn't expect it to last long.

Have you ever used gas to light a campfire IRL?  In my experience, the fuel tends to quickly burn off w/e substance you put it on.  Perhaps if you could let it soak into some tinder, that might be better.

Edited by hozz1235

18 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

After I posted that question, I kind of regret it...

I understand it could be used as Accelerant but gasoline is very "combustible" (i.e. burns/explodes quickly).  Yes, could be used on a torch, but I wouldn't expect it to last long.

Have you ever used gas to light a campfire IRL?  In my experience, the fuel tends to quickly burn off w/e substance you put it on.  Perhaps if you could let it soak into some tinder, that might be better.

While I was being a little facetious with my "accelerant, of course" post, I honestly don't see why gas pumps couldn't be an alternative accelerant source in this game... which, as we are frequently reminded, isn't focused on being entirely about realism.  I would envision just being able to get so much of the standard current accelerant out of the pumps in much the same way we currently get so much potable water out of toilets.  To rebalance things, lamp oil could be made exclusive for using in the lamps and for making torches; that is, using lamp oil as an accelerant would no longer be an option in this game.  In that way, accelerant would become an absolutely finitie resources; whereas, lamp oil can be obtained infinitely by fishing.  That accelerant would become finite shouldn't be an issue since the odds of a fire starting increase through leveling and accelerant really isn't needed to improve on those odds when the player has fully leveled the fire starting skill.

23 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

While I was being a little facetious with my "accelerant, of course" post, I honestly don't see why gas pumps couldn't be an alternative accelerant source in this game... which, as we are frequently reminded, isn't focused on being entirely about realism.  I would envision just being able to get so much of the standard current accelerant out of the pumps in much the same way we currently get so much potable water out of toilets.  To rebalance things, lamp oil could be made exclusive for using in the lamps and for making torches; that is, using lamp oil as an accelerant would no longer be an option in this game.  In that way, accelerant would become an absolutely finitie resources; whereas, lamp oil can be obtained infinitely by fishing.  That accelerant would become finite shouldn't be an issue since the odds of a fire starting increase through leveling and accelerant really isn't needed to improve on those odds when the player has fully leveled the fire starting skill.

The problem with this is that lamp oil is a significantly better accelerant for lighting a fire than gasoline is in the real world.

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

The problem with this is that lamp oil is a significantly better accelerant for lighting a fire than gasoline is in the real world.

It's not a problem.  My post was not about realism.   I'd be just as happy if they eliminated accelerant completely and gave us an equivalent spawn of more lamp oil.  Accelerant only has the one use in the game, which quickly becomes a non-issue as fire starting gets leveled up.

The "lamp oil" was originally kerosene too, which behaves similarly to gasoline, especially when warm.  The flash point of kerosene is 38 degrees, so on a particularly hot summer day, it can be just as volatile as gasoline.  Conversely, the flash point of gasoline is -40, but with conditions like we encounter in the game we could actually end up below the flash point of gasoline as well.  Under those conditions, it would be a suitable substitute for lamp fuel.