Lifelike MRE's

ajb1978

Pretty simple one--MRE's in the game are great and all, but they're just a high calorie food item.  They could be so much more than that!

Instead of being just a 1750 calorie food item, how about this: Reduce the calories to 1000, but when you finish the MRE, 1 single uncooked serving of both coffee and tea are added to your inventory (to represent the coffee and powdered beverage), along with a tinder plug (the toilet paper), and a pack of cardboard matches.  Just like a real MRE.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I prefer to have the high-calorie food item.  Before birch bark tea came into the game, I might have been more on board for the tea benefit.  More matches aren't really needed at lower difficulty levels and they aren't supposed to exist in Interloper.  Finally, I usually wind up with far too many tinder items lying in piles all over the game world - like tinder plugs from chopping wood, cat tail heads, and last but certainly not least, all the various forms of newsprint.  In this case, I think more would actually just translate to being less useful overall.  It's nice to chow down on 1750 calories that only weighs 0.5 kg.

43 minutes ago, frickoffanddie said:

If you wanted MRE's to be as realistic as possible, you'd have to remove them, since there's no such thing as a Canadian MRE. They're called IMP's here.

MRE is the colloquial term used by most English speakers when referring to packaged individual field rations. So technically Canadian MREs exist, as do British MREs, as do Japanese MREs, etc.