Are wolves afraid of caves?

DirtyMadcap

Stalker day 3 or 4, I'm in Broken Railroad attempting to make my way up to the lodge.  I'm holed up in the cave near the hunter's blind.....trapped actually, by two wolves meandering about between the cave and blind.  It's cold, really cold, 9F in the back of the cave and I'm out of firewood.  But there's plenty outside!  No gun, no bow, no stones.  Anyway, I've been in this situation a few times (several while I've been committed to the start in BR), and every time I got spotted by a wolf, I ran back to the back of the cave and waited.  I'd hear the snarling pup, but everytime, until today, he/she would run off scared, doing it's yelp and such.

Today however there was no fear on the wolf's part.  It came ALLLLL the way in and had its way with me.  This has happened once in twenty times or so for me.  Are wolves afraid of caves?

I have only had a wolf follow me into a cave a few time and they didn't run away. I think the intended effect is that they will follow you. Maybe you got lucky with the scares in the past? There is a small chance they will run away from you any time they approach. Also, did you have a fire going any of the other times?

• Upvote 1

Thanks peeps.  I'm thinking hozz is right, based on the number of occurences.  I have had fires, but I wasn't counting those times in my stats.  I guess the real test would be for me to try a different cave near a wolf infestation.....maybe that aggro trigger is extra big in this particular one.

I've been under the impression that it happens in some caves but not in others.  As an example - I've had them run away when I go into certain caves in PV, but they haven't run away when I've gone in any of the caves in FM.  @DirtyMadcap Do you remember what map were you on when they ran away - out of curiosity?

Edited by Jolan
clarity