Doc Feral

Getting dirty

Posted (edited)

In the description of the Harvesting skill it states that when you're at low levels you work in a clumsy and dirty way (or something like that, reverse translation), so it would make sense to earn a temporary scent penalty after harvesting, from having blood and bits sticking to your clothes, disappearing after a while or maybe needing some form of cleaning (water, snow, or maybe ash from an extinguished fire). Yes, I admit it's just another "make things harder just for the hell of it" idea.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 3

There is model of soap in game i would like to get a personal hygiene mechanic, however it would be challenge to implement it (probably without bathing).

• Upvote 1

@Doc Feral
I'm perfectly fine with there being no hygiene mechanic in the game.  :D 
I get what you're saying though, and it would make natural sense - I just don't think I would enjoy it as a gameplay mechanic.

Since I generally walk away from harvesting a carcass with several kilos of either raw or cooked meat and/or several pieces of uncured cut and possibly a hide, I'm definitely already more stinky after harvesting than I was before.  Is there really a need to double up on this?

48 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Since I generally walk away from harvesting a carcass with several kilos of either raw or cooked meat and/or several pieces of uncured cut and possibly a hide, I'm definitely already more stinky after harvesting than I was before.  Is there really a need to double up on this?

I think the OPs idea is that the scent would stick to your clothing as the bits of flesh and blood stains would, meaning the clothing items themselves would smell and thus so would you even when not carrying stinky items.

I totally agree it's a blunt, "make things a little more annoying" kind of idea but I love it. It's frustratingly realistic which is exactly the experience I hope to have a little more of in TLD. I've stated before that I think the smell-o-meter function is woefully underutilized in the game.

• Upvote 1

I agree with @Doc Feral, @Moll, and @LostRealist. We have soap shown in the game. This idea has been brought up on the Steam forums a few times, and I supported having a "cleanliness"  factor then, I still support it now. Especially as part of a larger Mental Health & Wellbeing system. Being able to clean your clothing and your body should raise your spirits, a simple tool to fight the isolation, and help reduce your detection range with predators and prey. Think of wearing unwashed socks for weeks on end. Not only would your feet stink, your clothing would be caked with "residues" that *should* make them decay faster. 

Something like the Well Fed mechanic, perhaps. If you are in a location that has soap in a soap dish, or if soap was made into an interactable item you could pick up and carry, you can boil a cooking pot of water, and wash. Not totally "realistic" to wash your entire loadout in 2L of water, and yourself, but we have lots of things in the game that are not IRL "realistic". 1 cooking pot full of potable water allows you to choose cleaning your character, or cleaning your clothes. Take the time to do both, get a 24 hour "Clean & Fresh" buff that slows decay on your clothing, and reduces your detection range, maybe?

Yes, it would be another "micro-management" thing. You could choose to do it or not, no change from the current game if you choose not to, just a very temporary buff if you do decide to (add it to the Custom settings toolbox to toggle the mechanic on or off, just like Cabin Fever and Sprains can be). You can do it *only* after the snow is melted and the water is boiled, or only done if you "warm" already potable water. Clothing would need to be dried after washing, your character would need to be dried after washing (think wet hair, beard, skin., wet clothes... prone to hypothermia and/or frostbite if you don't get dry and go out into a blizzard...). Making it optional would hopefully save Hinterland from any outcry over *forcing* it on players who do not want to do it. Giving a buff to those who do it would make it feel *worthwhile* to them, perhaps. The same way you can play the game just fine without ever getting the Well Fed buff. It gives players another choice, with a risk/reward attached to it. It takes time, you have additional weight to carry for the soap, and you need a fire. You get to have your clothing last a little longer and have wolves detect you less easily for a day or two.

Upvoted the idea. Hoping for a good discussion on how this might work, pro and cons. And honestly, I have been seeing people ask for a mode even tougher than vanilla Loper for some time now, and others who have said the game feels like it is being made "too easy" with the addition of the Revolver and Birch Bark Tea.  Wouldn't mind seeing the game become a bit tougher again. It's not supposed to be "easy" to survive the Quiet Apocalypse.

Since everyone here is disagreeing basically with me... I'll add this point - the proposal is that the penalty would diminish as your harvesting skill increases (which is usually the first skill to reach level 5 in most of my games).  IF you don't wash your clothes before levelling up harvesting further, how would the penalty be reasonably affect.  If it just goes away, then what's the need to laundering the clothing.  If it doesn't go away, then chances are you're not really seeing the benefit of leveling up until AFTER the next time you're able to do laundry. 

What about lingering blood on clothing from each attack?  Shouldn't there be something of an odor to that as well and shouldn't it get worse the more attacks you suffer through between washings?

Would we end up having to wash our clothing and our person with cooking pots of hot water?
I can't think of very many sources of running water... oh, perhaps we could use a washing machine when the aurora is out. :D 

Like I mentioned before I get what folks are saying and it makes sense, it really does, but it would have to implemented well.  I trust the team, so if they do opt to implement something like this I'd be on board... or course.

I'm still good with there being no such mechanic in the game and I wouldn't be one to try and push for it, but I am open to it... :) 

Well, I would be in favor of this, but I think it should be just a water-only bathing thing.  Mainly because if soap is required, the pre-placed soap is going to run out.  And we don't currently have the ingredients in the game to MAKE soap, and even if they did, something like lye isn't something you can just harvest in the forest.  So bathing with soap is a fundamentally finite thing.

As for washing clothes...I agree it's a little unrealistic to wear the same pair of underwear for 1000 days in a row, but the nuances of washing clothes...meeehhh that's a little far in the weeds.  Besides being a major chore to wash clothes by hand, you then would have to let them dry.  And how would you determine which clothes get washed? Probably something alongside the Repair and Harvest options...  That's just too much IMO.  Having to wash up to 16 separate clothing items...that's a lot of tedium, unless the stink builds up so slowly that you can get away with it on about the same timeframe as clothing repairs due to natural decay.

Personal hygiene though, that has merits.  Use 2L of water to bathe, and like @ThePancakeLady suggested, get a 24 hour "clean and fresh" buff where wildlife detection radius goes down by say 10%, letting you get just a smidge closer than normal.  Also, maybe you get one free animal bite with zero infection risk.  You get in a wolf struggle, that first bite carries no infection risk, but you immediately lose your Clean and Fresh buff due to...well..bleeding all over yourself.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

... something like lye isn't something you can just harvest in the forest...

They would need to add a new mechanic/crafting recipe or 2, but it is doable. Animal fat (tallow- rendered) + lye made from hardwood ashes (we'd need to be able to burn birch and maple) soaked in cloth in potable water to make lye-water. Then cook the rendered fat and lye-water in a cooking pot to make the soap. Nevermind that you could never safely use the pot to cook food or make water in again. I mean, it is doable, but would really become a PITA to add to the game, and deal with in-game. So, they would need to add more soap as loot, and we would need to manage usage of it, like so many other things in the game. We find chocolate bars, granola bars and such in drawers, lockers and safes, why not soap? A lonely logger's obsessive hoarding habit? 

Now, finding Soft Scrub to remove the soap scum would be a bit more of a pain... ;)