Wolf behavior - digging?

Swales

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention in the past, but I spotted what looked like some new wolf behavior after Steadfast Ranger. I've caught them standing in one place for extended periods of time, pawing at the ground, making something that sounds like a digging noise. There's no carcass to feed on at these locations. They look for all the world like dogs digging holes. Has anyone else seen this?

I saw it first on a Stalker play through and it gave me an opportunity for a clean revolver shot, then I followed some wolves around on my Pilgrim game to observe from a closer distance with less chance of danger. They did it there, too-- pausing and digging in the snow. Wish I'd thought to grab a screenshot. I know the bunnies got new "idle" animations in the last update, maybe the wolves did too? I definitely like them! Makes the wildlife seem more alive and less predictable.

• Like 1

A primary food source for wolves IRL are rodents; and I know my dog wil listen for them under the snow in the winter time and then dig into the snow whenever he thinks he's heard one.  Usually he comes up empty, but has occasionally come up with a mouse in his teeth.  They mentioned that they changed animal movements significantly in Steadfast Ranger, so this is probably just part of that parcel.  It would be neat though if they were thinking about adding a smaller rodent into the game... perhaps ones that would destroy food stores left in piles on the ground or snow by the player.

• Upvote 4

On 6/21/2019 at 12:33 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

It would be neat though if they were thinking about adding a smaller rodent into the game... perhaps ones that would destroy food stores left in piles on the ground or snow by the player.

Yes! That would be awesome! No wait..... only if they allow me to move the various coolers around.  

• Upvote 1