The Last Sapling

hozz1235

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@hozz1235, if that is truly the last one... then you will just have to start beach combing.  Assuming you are asking in earnest, it's random but you can find saplings (among many other things) that "wash ashore."

Every time I've tried to beach-comb, I end up swimming!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Every time I've tried to beach-comb, I end up swimming!

Yeah, there is always a good chance of that.  I've generally had good luck as long as I keep my inventory light, that way I know I'm sprinting at top speed.  I also have a tendency to wear less restrictive clothing so I can sprint for a longer period of time... though if I remember right, we only have about 5 seconds on weak ice (or something like that).  That does make it tricky sometimes...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Yeah, there is always a good chance of that.  I've generally had good luck as long as I keep my inventory light, that way I know I'm sprinting at top speed.  I also have a tendency to wear less restrictive clothing so I can sprint for a longer period of time... though if I remember right, we only have about 5 seconds on weak ice (or something like that).  That does make it tricky sometimes...

*beachcombs nekkid*

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

A good strategy, to be sure.  I used to drop all my clothing and gear in the closest Ice Fishing Hut when I would beachcomb on Costal Highway.

I make a longish-burning fire, mag lens preferred to save matches. Then strip my gal down, run out, grab the *whatever* is out there, run backwards to solid ice, head to the fire and redress. Takes a bit longer to warm back up if I took a swim,  but it keeps my clothing and accessories all dry, and I have a fire too cook that 0% fish I might get lucky enough to find. Using a fishing hut is a good plan too, but not possible on Desolation Point.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

For the good stuff, you may end up just having to plan on taking a dunk.  If you prepare ahead of time, it's not so bad. Get a nice fire going in a fishing hut or something, drop your clothes before making a sprint, and if you see multiple items clustered together, just accept the dunking in order to grab them all at once.  Most of the time that 5 seconds is enough grab most items and get back safely.  I drop my clothes in a pile right before sprinting, so I have a very large, clear marker of where exactly I need to be headed to do a perfect 180.  I've noticed the high value items, like saplings, do tend to be out past the point of no return.  But a dunk or two ain't gonna kill ya.  I think console players or gamepad users in general are at a disadvantage here, since they can't whip a 180 anywhere near as fast as a mouse user.  So it takes them extra time to get headed back to thick ice.

• Upvote 1

New update to PV is incoming and there could another region too.  More saplings are on there way. 

Too bad there are no long horns sheep to find.

Here is a method to make a sheep horn bow. 

The interesting thing is to uncurl the horn it is placed in boiling water to soften.  Similar to bending wood.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It looks lonely.  I guess you're back to throwing stones for however long you can last on rabbits alone.

Oh, I have more meat than I know what to do with!  That is my main form of entertainment on that long run.

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2019 at 3:12 PM, frickoffanddie said:

You beachcomb or you keep looking. Have you cleared out every region, even transition regions? Ravine is jam-packed with saplings.

I've traveled the zones countless times and all are fully mapped.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:23 AM, peteloud said:

It would be good if some birch saplings re-spawned after 1,000 days to keep us survivors going.

The same applies to cured leather and matches which could run out in more challenging games.

I agree.  Or if with every update devs triggered a random 10% respawn of saplings and leather.  Not only would it help the long-term survivalists, but also provide motivation to return to places we haven't gone in a very long time.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, galadhlinn said:

I agree.  Or if with every update devs triggered a random 10% respawn of saplings and leather.  Not only would it help the long-term survivalists, but also provide motivation to return to places we haven't gone in a very long time.

Would be nice but unrealistic since those really only grow in non-Winter seasons.