Your luckiest or weirdest kill?

TheUnknown

Hey guys. I am wondering, What has been your weirdest or luckiest kill so far in game?

For me it was with a bear. I shot it from a spot it could not reach so it ran but ended up in a running away loop on some rocks so i was able to sit there on top of the rocks above it and snipe it with a bow while it sat there running in a 10ft circle. I think it was both my luckiest and weirdest kill ever.

meat did last me a while though ^.^

I posted mine just the other day :D :

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:38 AM, ManicManiac said:

Yesterday, I had the "bright idea" of luring the bear that patrols near Echo Ravine over to Crystal Lake.  I figured I would use the pier as a safe haven in case my first shot didn't put it down.  I took the shot, but apparently didn't manage a critical hit... I ran under the dock thinking, "I should be safe here."  Much to my surprise, the bear ran to the end of the pier and ran right under it (between the posts)... and absolutely wrecked my day as well as my face. :D 

I don't know when they improved the bear's pathfinding, but that was wonderful... I quickly came to realize I should have gone farther under (to where I would need to duck to get under it)

Lesson Leaned. :D 

So this would be in the weird category, I guess...

Edited by ManicManiac

Weird I guess. Costal Highway, survival,  Pilgrim, very early on I took a shot at a bear and wounded same. Don't remember if my first hit was the rifle or bow? The bear starts running around and I try to track it waiting for the bear's long dark. It get caught up on this ledge up behind the Gas Station. On that road/path to the right (while you are facing the Station) the does a hairpin turn up to the silent clearing? It is just hung up there crying and fussing. So I decide it is a good place to work on my bow hunting skill. Right, well I think my first shot misses (not very good with the bow) but the second one dropped him. The weird part.... ? Right, sorry! The weird part was I could not get to that kill to harvest it... or get my arrows back! Bummer. (not the best example I know?)

20 hours ago, TheUnknown said:

Hey guys. I am wondering, What has been your weirdest or luckiest kill so far in game?

For me it was with a bear. I shot it from a spot it could not reach so it ran but ended up in a running away loop on some rocks so i was able to sit there on top of the rocks above it and snipe it with a bow while it sat there running in a 10ft circle. I think it was both my luckiest and weirdest kill ever.

meat did last me a while though ^.^

I've taken advantage of that "pathing bug" as well (even though I feel kindda bad about it).  HL has made some updates to the game and I haven't seen that happen since.

• 1 month later...

Lucky category:

Hunting the Old Bear in the original Episode II.  After several encounters where he runs off after getting shot, I find him near the old logging camp.  The 1st shot makes him rear up and charge.  2nd doesn't phase him.  It's looking like he'll reach me before I can get off a 3rd.

I get off that 3rd shot, when he is seemingly inches away, and he falls at my feet.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 6:00 PM, ajb1978 said:

Definitely the Weeping Angel wolf I recently discovered.  When you don't watch it, it goes faster....

Yes to this. I made a post about this earlier but nobody else seemed to have the issue.

I was running 1.5 at the time and wolves were doing that for me too. Actually my game ended because a bear teleported right infront of me. Weeping bears are serious business.

I haven't had this issue yet with 1.56, but I haven't put too much time into the latest version of TLD so I can't really say if it's fixed.

• Upvote 1

Shot the bear at Spruce Falls Bridge and he stumbled off to die a little ways down the road on the Milton side of the bridge. The carcass was in a little depression in the snow. The weather was nice, the day was just beginning, and I needed to work on my carcass harvesting and cooking skill, so I set up a good long campfire right next to the bear and got to work. And a blizzard started. But through some extreme stroke of luck, the precise little depression where the bear had fallen was wind-shielded and remained so throughout the entire storm! I harvested the bear completely, cooking every steak and yanking every gut, blizzard roaring away above me the whole time. I thanked that bear profusely for the spot he chose to die and I think of him fondly every time I slip into my warm new bedroll.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Weirdest kill, Story Mode, practically shoved my rifle muzzle into it's mouth before I fired. I didn't want to miss.

399183481_standingdeadwolf.thumb.png.8978a9e9d68bd2df280159fd2b4207f8.png

When your in game character shoots like crap you don't engage at a distance, instead you draw the target closer to a distance you cannot miss. This time I held my fire just a bit too long... I shot at the same time the game started the melee fight sequence. It knocked me down and started to bring up the menu when the game realized the attacking wolf was dead. 

My luckiest kill I didn't grab a screenshot of, because there wasn't much to see. And it wasn't that lucky. Could have obtained two wolves in this position next to each other for a much cooler screenshot if the game didn't ignore my mouse click. I was pushing my luck with it anyway, after I got this standing wolf kill I drew the other two wolves one at a time next to this one to try and get a bunch of standing dead wolves next to each other. The second wolf I got jittery and shot it too far away, it fell over as usual. The third I held my fire just milliseconds too long and the game ignored my mouse click. The third wolf mauled me good... i was nearly dead, but no wolf gets away with hurting me without dying! I bandaged one wrist so I could at least equip the flare gun, the third wolf got as far as the front gate at the maintenance yard before a flare bullet smacked into it's head and dropped it dead. That was maybe 80 meters? Distance is hard to tell in the game. 

Edited by survivorKP
  • Upvote 2

My luckiest kill had to be last night. I started a new custom game with weather turned up all the way and loot levels low. I started off in BR and made my way up to the Hunting Lodge where I found a body with a Bow and 1 arrow. I had decided to hunt a bear a few days later before I went to ML and MT on a looting run and wanted the pelt to cure while I as away. With my one arrow and made my way to the bear, I spotted out on the lake between the Lodge and the Garage. I baited him to the hunter's blind with rocks just as the weather started to pick up into a snow storm. I pulled my bow string back and let loose and arrow to receive a critical hit, bear just drops in one shot. By the time I was done harvesting the pelt there was a full blizzard starting so the timing was perfect and made it back to the lodge just before Hypo set in. 

1 hour ago, XaldinVii said:

My luckiest kill had to be last night. I started a new custom game with weather turned up all the way and loot levels low. I started off in BR and made my way up to the Hunting Lodge where I found a body with a Bow and 1 arrow. I had decided to hunt a bear a few days later before I went to ML and MT on a looting run and wanted the pelt to cure while I as away. With my one arrow and made my way to the bear, I spotted out on the lake between the Lodge and the Garage. I baited him to the hunter's blind with rocks just as the weather started to pick up into a snow storm. I pulled my bow string back and let loose and arrow to receive a critical hit, bear just drops in one shot. By the time I was done harvesting the pelt there was a full blizzard starting so the timing was perfect and made it back to the lodge just before Hypo set in. 

That must have felt great when you heard that dying groan!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely not a hunter despite the many hours and survival sandboxes I've played in the past year or so, but I have to say that almost every major kill I managed to carry out has had its weird or lucky flair. A few examples off the top of my head:

• While trying to stone a rabbit in Mountain Town, I managed to hit a wolf that was on the other side of a small hill. When the wolf appeared, I was startled, so I drew my rifle and shot in its general direction, without really aiming; instant kill.
  • I was coming down Misanthrope's Homestead's island headed toward the cottages on the mainland; there was some light fog, and suddenly I made out the shape of the resident bear; I fired two rifle shots in its direction, but I really just wanted to scare it away (I was on Pilgrim, and in my early runs, so I didn't know about wildlife not attacking you unless provoked). The bear made a sound and started running away. I lost sight of it, and started exploring the cottages. Hours later I came out of the biggest house in this area and heard crows from an unusual spot. Went to investigate, and found the bear, dead by the side of the road just behind the house.
  • There was a time where I set base in the Hunting Logde in Broken Railroad (don't ask). One morning I went out and saw a moose near the frozen pond. This was one of the rare times when I really, really wanted the kill (it was before the Well Fed buff, and I wanted to craft a satchel). I started walking towards the moose, rifle drawn, and began shooting at it as I approached. One, two, three shots. Nothing. Four, five, six shots. Nothing. The moose would run off a bit, but quickly return to its spot. Seven, eight, nine shots. Now I got this seemingly bulletproof moose angry and it starts charging. I realise I'm out of ammo, so I switch to the bow. I only have one arrow. I barely have time to aim and shoot. It drops dead in front of me. Finally, lol!
  • This is recent. I find the revolver in the Radio Control Hut. First time I find it since the Steadfast Ranger update. I'm curious to hear what sound it makes when fired, so I go out and take a stroll downhill towards the main road. I fire the revolver twice without aiming. Nice sound! Soon after I realise I've also killed a rabbit! 🙂
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very early on in my experience of TLD, I started my first Voyageur game out in Milton and decided to venture into HRV, thinking "how difficult could this region be, anyway?" 

I ended up nearly frozen and starving to death in the Lake Cave on Monolith Lake. I had run out of bullets, but managed to find a bow and arrow, and discovered that Monolith Lake was the site of a moose spawn. I decided to roll the dice and shoot my one arrow at the moose, and killed it with a headshot on my first try. 

I'm pretty sure I still have that game saved. I refuse to end it, since it was one of my earliest games and I'm convinced I'll somehow be able to make it out of HRV alive with enough experience under my belt. I prefer playing on Pilgrim, so I'm not much better at avoiding wolves, but I do know the map much better now.

4 hours ago, Eylhardt said:

While the kill was nothing special, the sight after the kill was quite weired:

poor_wolf.thumb.jpg.0594502a1508bd4dd47464bf9f9adc30.jpg

It's starting to look like a fairly common glitch.  Posted this once before on a  different thread.  It makes three of the same glitch on this thread.

The Long Dark.png

Edited by UpUpAway95

My luckiest was probably the bear I shot in PV.  I was following the blood trail when, as usual, a blizzard started up and started freezing to death pretty quickly.  I stumbled into a nearby cave, lit a fire and went to sleep.  My fire went out, but pursuant to the settings I had, the game woke me up...  to find the bear lying right beside me.  Luckily, he must have been very weak when he reached the cave and basically just collapse dead rather than having his way with my face while I was waking up.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 5:02 PM, survivorKP said:

I shot at the same time the game started the melee fight sequence.

So I'm not the only one, then! I shot a wolf with an arrow at point blank, it attacked me, I hit it once with my axe and it died atop me.

The luckiest kill I've ever had were two critical hits on bears that were stalking me (on separate occasions). The luckiest was one right at the bottom of the Mountaineer's Hut. Bear meat for days.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG-20190924-222748.jpg

I'm a noob, first game. Day 60, went to PV and needed the well-fed. So a bear wandered into the area. Popped him with an arrow. I ducked into a car before getting mauled. Seconds later he walked by with an arrow sticking out from between his eyes. Lucky! Thankfully he dropped next to the car -- with a nice windbreak bonus.

My luckiest kill so far was yesterday. I was caught at trappers cabin with no feed, only a couple teas. Two blizzards in a row, so there I couldn't hunt. When the blizzard ended, I went outside, still no animals. After 5 minutes of wandering a deer suddenly pops up, and I instantly try to shooy my arrows (I'm really bad with them). I aim for the head, the arrow goes to the knee....and the deer died instantly. That was a Skyrim moment.