New crafting Item : Holsters, hip and or shoulder rig

piddy3825

Been on a revolver quest this walk through and just found my second handgun.  I'm lugging around a loaded revolver, a long gun with 3 rounds in it, a flare gun with 5 shells,  a bow with 4 arrows  and a handful of rocks.  Now I have two guns...  so that got me to thinking about tromping about Bear Island with dual pistols, drop off the rifle, flare gun and empty all those rocks outta my pocket.  Just need a holster rig now, please?

screen_0177cf77-a628-48b6-aaad-dba379356a5a_hi.thumb.png.859366032e9c2141f20d52de381cf7c8.png

I'm thinking we use rabbit skins, two per holster and two guts.  about same time to craft as a hat or set of gloves.  would be about that same degree of effort and materials.  Here I've set my workbench up with the tools, got my self a couple of skins, two sections of gut.  Got my sharpest knife available and my sewing line.  I'd basically just slap two of these skins together and so up the sides.

screen_50bb3870-e776-41e5-b356-50b712355ec9_hi.thumb.png.d9742dad14689c114b944101ce9170af.png

I just dropped these to the floor on top of each other to give it kinda of a perspective.  hard to drop the revolver just perfect on the rabbit skin...  best I could do, but you get the idea.

be cool to have a little belt loop or sash on the final product

il_340x270.1427812022_r2og.jpg.ed995f909c5dc0786925fde1a72d5826.jpg   Here's a working soft skin revolver holster.  

Thanks for reading!  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Love the creativity, but not seeing much gameplay value for the time it would take the devs to add this to crafting recipes. They have already said that adding new items is not "easy" with the system they used. 

It would add some immersion for folks who really get into role-playing, but I can't see the devs adding another + xx kg carry weight to our max carry weight, if we made and equipped a holster. In fact, it would or should just add another bit of weight on. Instead of just the weight of the revolver(s), it is now the weight or the revolver(s) + the weight of the holster(s).

I do enjoy roleplaying, and yeah, I probably would make one- just because. But I also think it would lose a lot of immersion factor for me, pretty quickly, since in First Person Perspective, I would never be able to see my character wearing it, other then on the paperdoll. (Nothing against Hinterland, but the look of the paperdoll sometimes...). If we had Third Person Perspective... then it would really add to immersion for me. Not sure with FPP, it would really add much to the game for me. 

Great idea for a future mod though. I love doing cosmetic mods, and this would be something I would def. consider adding to a clothing/accessories mod, once we have full modding support. :)

• Upvote 1

Holster can bring a possibility to draw revolver without selecting it in circular menu, like with hot key. Instant access in emergemency or desperate situation.

I would use model of normal leather holster, but its craftable.

hunter%20scoped%20holster.JPG

Edited by Moll
  • Like 1

One of these days i have to see if I can shoot my character in her foot, same way shooting an arrow straight up in the air is supposed to be able to come back down and hit (kill) the character.  Hip holster would make this kind of funny, if it's possible to do.

*quick draws, sneezes, shoots self in foot...*

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

...putting away our weapon is referred to as holstering...

I am talking about reversed situation. Hot key to ready your weapon. Maybe when you press H without any active item you make your revolver ready?

The long dark uses ray cast for shooting, so no bullet ricochets. Not needed in this enviroment.

2 minutes ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

I'm almost certain that they don't, wouldn't make sense in this game. Would be kinda cool though.

I was just curious because arrows can glance and skip off of surfaces, which I always thought was a nice touch... I was just curious if the same was true of our bullets.

5 minutes ago, Moll said:

I am talking about reversed situation. Hot key to ready your weapon.

Well, if you have your hands free (as in no weapon already in hand) and you press "2", the revolver is the first in the "line up" and it draws quickly.  Which is pretty much what you described, perhaps I miss understood.

So in this circumstance...
The hotkey to draw/ready your revolver quickly is "2"
And the hotkey to holster is "H"

:) 

Edited by ManicManiac

4 hours ago, Moll said:

Holster can bring a possibility to draw revolver without selecting it in circular menu, like with hot key. Instant access in emergemency or desperate situation.

I would use model of normal leather holster, but its craftable.

hunter%20scoped%20holster.JPG

I certainly like your shoulder rig and also would prefer a nice leather holster, but with the exception of the limited amount of "cured leather" in game the choices are extremely limited.    I suggested the rabbit skins primarily due to the fact that they are already an in game item, we are already crafting multiple items  with those same materials and the size and overall shape are already consistent with the currently available in game materials.  No need for the development team to have to introduce new items as so many of the comments have pointed out.  Basically they would just have to make a picture and maybe add an extra slot or two on the clothing screen.    I want a two gun rig for my character... shooting wolves in hail of bullets...

Edited by piddy3825
added comment

17 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Love the creativity, but not seeing much gameplay value for the time it would take the devs to add this to crafting recipes. They have already said that adding new items is not "easy" with the system they used. 

It would add some immersion for folks who really get into role-playing, but I can't see the devs adding another + xx kg carry weight to our max carry weight, if we made and equipped a holster. In fact, it would or should just add another bit of weight on. Instead of just the weight of the revolver(s), it is now the weight or the revolver(s) + the weight of the holster(s).

I do enjoy roleplaying, and yeah, I probably would make one- just because. But I also think it would lose a lot of immersion factor for me, pretty quickly, since in First Person Perspective, I would never be able to see my character wearing it, other then on the paperdoll. (Nothing against Hinterland, but the look of the paperdoll sometimes...). If we had Third Person Perspective... then it would really add to immersion for me. Not sure with FPP, it would really add much to the game for me. 

Great idea for a future mod though. I love doing cosmetic mods, and this would be something I would def. consider adding to a clothing/accessories mod, once we have full modding support. :)

Yeah, I'd love third party perspective view... that's next on my wishlist, lol.  Not sure i agree with your point about losing immersion perspective... I can't see the moose satchel yet i use and play it every chance i get and never get to see it...  But your right, when modding comes along it will be game on for certain!

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Yeah, I'd love third party perspective view... that's next on my wishlist, lol.  Not sure i agree with your point about losing immersion perspective... I can't see the moose satchel yet i use and play it every chance i get and never get to see it...  But your right, when modding comes along it will be game on for certain!

Haaah talking of losing immersion, wearing wool ear wraps protects a moosehide satchel from becoming wet.  Because SCIENCE!!!

Edit: But more on point with the actual thread here, the revolver already draws pretty quickly.  The only way it could be improved is if you could fire at any point in the draw animation.  Presently, the character draws the weapon, but you can't actually fire it until the "reload" and "put away" text appears on screen.  This is only about 1 second, far faster than any other weapon, but still not instant enough to react to a wolf that pops around a tree a meter away.  If a craftable, wearable holster would allow you to fire the weapon basically instantly, this is where it would shine.

Beyond that...kind of not useful, sorry.

Edited by ajb1978

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Haaah talking of losing immersion, wearing wool ear wraps protects a moosehide satchel from becoming wet.  Because SCIENCE!!!

Edit: But more on point with the actual thread here, the revolver already draws pretty quickly.  The only way it could be improved is if you could fire at any point in the draw animation.  Presently, the character draws the weapon, but you can't actually fire it until the "reload" and "put away" text appears on screen.  This is only about 1 second, far faster than any other weapon, but still not instant enough to react to a wolf that pops around a tree a meter away.  If a craftable, wearable holster would allow you to fire the weapon basically instantly, this is where it would shine.

Beyond that...kind of not useful, sorry.

I wasn't remotely thinking about faster draw times, lol...  i was thinking of more stuff to do, make and or craft so I'm not completely bored outta my skull when there's a raging blizzard going on outside that lasts for three days...  if it were to so happen that in the process the draw time was improved, well yeah, okay I'm down with that too!   I just thought it would make me  look more  stylish,  or mountain man-esk sporting dual rabbit skin holsters while decked out in my deerskin boots, pants, rabbit skin gloves and hat, while wearing both my bear and wolf hide coats and moose hide satchel...  i probably should have just asked for socks...

Edited by piddy3825
spelling correction

piddy3825,

" I'm lugging around a loaded revolver, a long gun with 3 rounds in it, a flare gun with 5 shells,  a bow with 4 arrows  and a handful of rocks. "

If you dropped those guns and rocks you would travel around 8Kg lighter.   You would be able to travel much faster and/or carry many more useful things.

A bow and arrow can do almost everything the those guns can do, and the arrows are re-useable.

13 hours ago, peteloud said:

piddy3825,

" I'm lugging around a loaded revolver, a long gun with 3 rounds in it, a flare gun with 5 shells,  a bow with 4 arrows  and a handful of rocks. "

If you dropped those guns and rocks you would travel around 8Kg lighter.   You would be able to travel much faster and/or carry many more useful things.

A bow and arrow can do almost everything the those guns can do, and the arrows are re-useable.

Yes, I am aware of that.   and each of those items deserves a holster...