Martin Prchal

Snow Shelter Improvement

If shelters could be built with pelts (or rather cured hides), I'd finally start using them. In general, the regions where it would be wise to build and maintain a shelter are the ones that are super-scarce in cloth, so I never built a single shelter ever, for fear of wasting cloth.

1 hour ago, melcantspell said:

If shelters could be built with pelts (or rather cured hides), I'd finally start using them. In general, the regions where it would be wise to build and maintain a shelter are the ones that are super-scarce in cloth, so I never built a single shelter ever, for fear of wasting cloth.

Same here.  I can recall one specific instance where I had a bedroll ruined in a bear attack, I was too exhausted to make it back to the Mountaineer's Hut, so I ended up ripping up my ruined bedroll to craft a snow shelter, just so I could catch some sleep.   I literally use snow shelters less often than emergency stims, that's how rarely they are necessary.

35 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Same here.  I can recall one specific instance where I had a bedroll ruined in a bear attack, I was too exhausted to make it back to the Mountaineer's Hut, so I ended up ripping up my ruined bedroll to craft a snow shelter, just so I could catch some sleep.   I literally use snow shelters less often than emergency stims, that's how rarely they are necessary.

I've used 1 emergency stim in an emergency.  The only  other time I've used them is for health management in variants of deadman.  I've used several snow shelters though.  Most times, I could have perhaps pushed through to a ready-made shelter or found a cranny in a rock, but I like the role-play aspect of having the ability to build such a shelter and I think it's a shame that people don't use them out of fear of using up their available cloth, which they perceive as needing for other things.

Posted (edited)

Well, cloth is pretty needed to repair clothes and create bandages ;)

Since cloth never respawns it can be a good idea to not waste it, especially if you're going for many many days of survival. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to create an emergency snow shelter in regions with sparse to no buildings. But since those regions are sparse in cloth as well, I usually plan my trips thoroughly and then (almost) never feel the need for a snow shelter. The few times when it would have been nice to create a snow shelter (especialyl in HRV), there was no cloth available at all. 

I agree that the game's current version of snow shelters is fine. If regenerative building materials were allowed, it would allow for a wider variation of play-style, though.

Edited by melcantspell